Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Phil Lowe

Meanwhile, back in Florida...

18 posts in this topic

Got the hell out of the miserable rain and cold in the Seattle-area for two weeks, and am now in sunny, warm, beautiful west-central Florida. Normally, I would bring my Canon 7D MkII and 5D MkIV, along with the Sigma 150-600S and my new EF 100-400L MkII, but I decided to travel "lighter" this time, and brought only the Nikon D500 with the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 (and TC 1.4x III), Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and Tamron 16-300 (general purpose lens). As a lifelong Canon shooter, I cannot tell you how much I really like shooting with the D500.  It's smaller and lighter than my 7D MkII and, coupled with the deeper grip (something sorely lacking on the D610), just feels great in the hand.  While I'm not about to sell all my Canon gear and move to Nikon, the D500 has won its place as an excellent travel camera, producing excellent images from its APS-C sensor.  Still, the 7D MkII is no slouch. ;)  Of course, you know, this means shots from each to follow! :D

House finch: Canon EOS 7D MkII, EF 100-400L MkII, 400mm, f/8, ISO 640, 1/2000.

stock-photo-male-house-finch-haemorhous-

Red-bellied woodpecker (hanging upside down), Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500 +1.4TC III, 700mm, f/9, ISO 640, 1/1250.

stock-photo-adult-female-red-bellied-woo

Pleased to have both of these excellent cameras at my disposal! ;) 

P.S. Single point continuous AF on both subjects above with birds' eye as focal point.  

You've got some excellent bird shots. Love the Puffins!  As you know, the key to shooting birds (or any wildlife, for that matter) is patience. Sometimes I have to shoot dozens, if not hundreds, of shots to get the right light and look from them. A slight turn of the head or twitch of the tail may be all it takes to turn an average shot into a real keeper! That's why the guys who do this stuff for a real living use bodies like the D5 or 1DX MkII and long, expensive prime lenses. I'm not there yet. Really need Shutterstock to step up and sell a lot more of my work!  LOL!  But these cameras, like the D500, 7D MkII, and Sony A6500, among others, are really great entry-level action cameras. What they lack in the tech of their big siblings, we have to make up for with professional technique: using camo and blinds to get close and shooting in optimal light, among others.

Still, for the money, these cameras and lenses are tough to beat! :)

14 minutes ago, paula french said:

Stunning Phil - do you use a convertor with your Canon gear?  If so which one, I'm really tempted to buy one but had a bad experience with on old 2nd hand 2x one - so put me off trying again.

I do not but have, at times, seriously considered the 1.4xTC III from Canon.  The old 100-400L I had (and recently traded in for the new MkII) is not quite as sharp as the MkII update, so I didn't want to take a chance on any teleconverter degrading the image.  The new 100-400L MkII, being sharper with better IS, is probably a much better candidate for the 1.4x III. The big issue keeping me using the Canon TC is that I already have the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens for my Canon gear, and the Canon 1.4x III doesn't work with the Sigma lens, nor does it work with my Tamron 70-200, so I would be spending $400 to upgrade only my 100-400L to a 140-560. It really doesn't make much sense when I already have the 150-600.  I got the Nikon 200-500 with TC for my wife to use because the Tamron 150-600 she had simply wasn't as good, and the TC with that lens is just an awesome combination.  She hardly ever uses the D500 or 200-500, so that's why I brought them down to Florida with me.  

2 hours ago, Phil Lowe said:

Got the hell out of the miserable rain and cold in the Seattle-area for two weeks, and am now in sunny, warm, beautiful west-central Florida. Normally, I would bring my Canon 7D MkII and 5D MkIV, along with the Sigma 150-600S and my new EF 100-400L MkII, but I decided to travel "lighter" this time, and brought only the Nikon D500 with the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 (and TC 1.4x III), Tamron 70-200 f/2.8, and Tamron 16-300 (general purpose lens). As a lifelong Canon shooter, I cannot tell you how much I really like shooting with the D500.  It's smaller and lighter than my 7D MkII and, coupled with the deeper grip (something sorely lacking on the D610), just feels great in the hand.  While I'm not about to sell all my Canon gear and move to Nikon, the D500 has won its place as an excellent travel camera, producing excellent images from its APS-C sensor.  Still, the 7D MkII is no slouch. ;)  Of course, you know, this means shots from each to follow! :D

House finch: Canon EOS 7D MkII, EF 100-400L MkII, 400mm, f/8, ISO 640, 1/2000.

stock-photo-male-house-finch-haemorhous-

Red-bellied woodpecker (hanging upside down), Nikon D500, Nikon 200-500 +1.4TC III, 700mm, f/9, ISO 640, 1/1250.

stock-photo-adult-female-red-bellied-woo

Pleased to have both of these excellent cameras at my disposal! ;) 

P.S. Single point continuous AF on both subjects above with birds' eye as focal point.  

Great Photos phil ! I have the D750 and I am thinking of getting  the D500 now with 150 euro discount ( Nikon 100 Year anniversary)

54 minutes ago, Phil Lowe said:

I do not but have, at times, seriously considered the 1.4xTC III from Canon.  The old 100-400L I had (and recently traded in for the new MkII) is not quite as sharp as the MkII update, so I didn't want to take a chance on any teleconverter degrading the image.  The new 100-400L MkII, being sharper with better IS, is probably a much better candidate for the 1.4x III. The big issue keeping me using the Canon TC is that I already have the Sigma 150-600 Sports lens for my Canon gear, and the Canon 1.4x III doesn't work with the Sigma lens, nor does it work with my Tamron 70-200, so I would be spending $400 to upgrade only my 100-400L to a 140-560. It really doesn't make much sense when I already have the 150-600.  I got the Nikon 200-500 with TC for my wife to use because the Tamron 150-600 she had simply wasn't as good, and the TC with that lens is just an awesome combination.  She hardly ever uses the D500 or 200-500, so that's why I brought them down to Florida with me.  

Thanks - I'm tempted as it would work for me as all my lenses are Canon.

Have a great holiday!

3 hours ago, martin bowra said:

Great Photos phil ! I have the D750 and I am thinking of getting  the D500 now with 150 euro discount ( Nikon 100 Year anniversary)

I think the D500 would be an excellent compliment to the D750. (Just as my 7D MkII is an excellent compliment to my 5D MkIV.)  

On 19/05/2017 at 4:36 PM, paula french said:

I bought a secondhand 2x (mk i) and was very disappointed with it - not sharp and noisy - so sold it.

I have good L Series lenses - so would think the 1.4 MKIII should do the job.

Hi Paula, I bought a Canon x2 Mk2 extender and would not recommend it. It makes my Canon L lenses unacceptably soft. A great asset in theory but not so great in practice (in my humble opinion anyway).

2 hours ago, Mark Godden said:

Hi Paula, I bought a Canon x2 Mk2 extender and would not recommend it. It makes my Canon L lenses unacceptably soft. A great asset in theory but not so great in practice (in my humble opinion anyway).

Yes I agree, fortunately I bought it 2nd hand and managed to sell it - at a loss - but next time I'll do my homework!!

For the fraction of the price of a new lens the results of the Mark 3 is quite acceptable thank you and I am quite happy with my 2X extender III

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=458&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=4&API=5&LensComp=458&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=5