Kate Shutterstock

Forum Update

78 posts in this topic

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that our forum service provider will be performing an update on our forum on Thursday, May 11. This means it will be unavailable between about noon and 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. When the forum comes back online, it will look and feel a little different.

They assure us that all our historic posts and data will persist, and that we’ll continue to enjoy the same features as we have now.

Thanks,

Kate

Hello,

We wanted to let you know that our forum service provider will be performing an update on our forum on Thursday, May 11. This means it will be unavailable between about noon and 4:00 pm Eastern Standard Time. When the forum comes back online, it will look and feel a little different.

They assure us that all our historic posts and data will persist, and that we’ll continue to enjoy the same features as we have now.

Thanks,

Kate

It would be nice if we could have the option of being able to turn off our image/video portfolio link since there are many here that would like that feature so is this a possibility?

+1

The only benefit for having a portfolio link on contributor forum is to make it easier for copycats

Without wishing to sound unkind to anyone, a portfolio link does allow others to see the quality of work produced by those handing out advice here - and subsequently decide the worth of their advice.

Well that put me back in my box :(

Please don't think I was aiming that comment at you (You have a great portfolio). Its just that its good to see where advice is coming from. I meant no offence to anyone.

Without wishing to sound unkind to anyone, a portfolio link does allow others to see the quality of work produced by those handing out advice here - and subsequently decide the worth of their advice.

And it also allows those who we all know who they are because they have stated it to go on their own little witch hunts rather than letting SS do their job for some reason they feel they must do it and that alone is the most pathetic thing to have happened here on SS and this is also why a lot do not participate here!

a portfolio link does allow others to see the quality of work produced by those handing out advice here - and subsequently decide the worth of their advice.

This means nothing and is something Laurin started.

So according to that above you are going to take advice from a food photog about how to shoot bridges and such that they themselves admit-tingly refuse to shoot and have nothing of the likes in their port? Highly doubt it and if you do then I guess you get what you deserve right?

To many variables come into play here and anyone here is allowed to speak their peace as for giving advice and just because you have a port with great pics means absolutely nothing at all!

I also like to look at others work - to see what the competition is, to see how I can improve,  to give me ideas and also out of curiosity (just being nosey).

Although if people don't want others to look at their port then I understand that too- and so an in out option would be good for those who don;t want others to look / admire their ports.

And it also allows those who we all know who they are because they have stated it to go on their own little witch hunts rather than letting SS do their job for some reason they feel they must do it and that alone is the most pathetic thing to have happened here on SS and this is also why a lot do not participate here!

This means nothing and is something Laurin started.

So according to that above you are going to take advice from a food photog about how to shoot bridges and such that they themselves admit-tingly refuse to shoot and have nothing of the likes in their port? Highly doubt it and if you do then I guess you get what you deserve right?

To many variables come into play here and anyone here is allowed to speak their peace as for giving advice and just because you have a port with great pics means absolutely nothing at all!

Well Barry, I was not aware that Laurin had commented on this. I too am wholly in favour of everyone having the right to say their piece. Personally I would give more weight to advice given to me by someone with a large portfolio of high quality images over advice from some one who has only been a contributor for a few weeks with a portfolio of twenty mediocre images. That was my point and if you don't agree, that's absolutely fine with me, I was just saying my piece ;)  

There are not many who give useful advice here. Some people helped me in my time. Who really helped, maybe five or six people. Barry is one of them, and Laurin also... How to reconcile them? :rolleyes:

In fact, there must be a choice, of course, +1 to Barry post

There are not many who give useful advice here. Some people helped me in my time. Who really helped, maybe five or six people. Barry is one of them, and Laurin also... How to reconcile them? :rolleyes:

In fact, there must be a choice, of course, +1 to Barry post

That's exactly what I wanted to say too.

I don't understand what is wrong with having an opt in/out option, after all, privacy is an elementary human right, isn't it?  Barry and others probably have their reasons for this request.

We all know that some people were rude when speaking about other colleagues works calling them garbage and other names.

I remember a new contributor finding himself a new niche, that's what the pros always advise to do. So this man came up with his unique niche a year ago, he had not much luck with sales at the beginning, he was complaining here repeatedly. In the meantime his portfolio grew very fast and soon the wheel turned and I see him all the time at the EL, SOD and ODD thread (he deserves it). Than he was criticized for having all images in his port similar (the witch-hunt Barry mentioned).

I don't have any preferences but if someone wants to avoid these (or any) kind  of remarks how could an opt in/out option hurt others?

There are other very simple ways to find any portfolio if anyone wants to.

Ironically, the place the portfolio links don't show up is the critique forum. I almost never use those links unless I am on the pick your favorite from the last poster thread. I doubt that SS will change anything but if they do, good.

For what it is worth, the place I was introduced to some suspect ports was the MSG forum.

The worst witch hunt here seems to be the B/R one. Sooooo tiresome and it draws negative attention to the perpetrators.

That's exactly what I wanted to say too.

I don't understand what is wrong with having an opt in/out option, after all, privacy is an elementary human right, isn't it?  Barry and others probably have their reasons for this request.

We all know that some people were rude when speaking about other colleagues works calling them garbage and other names.

I remember a new contributor finding himself a new niche, that's what the pros always advise to do. So this man came up with his unique niche a year ago, he had not much luck with sales at the beginning, he was complaining here repeatedly. In the meantime his portfolio grew very fast and soon the wheel turned and I see him all the time at the EL, SOD and ODD thread (he deserves it). Than he was criticized for having all images in his port similar (the witch-hunt Barry mentioned).

I don't have any preferences but if someone wants to avoid these (or any) kind  of remarks how could an opt in/out option hurt others?

There are other very simple ways to find any portfolio if anyone wants to.

Balls to the walls dead spot on 100% and then some!

Couldn't agree more.

Anyway - aside from the above, why are SS changing something that actually work. There are very few times (imo) when we have a a problem reading / writing / and viewing the forum??

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

SS isn't changing anything in the forum. The forum is not administered by SS.

We wanted to let you know that our forum service provider will be performing an update .........

Honestly, I wouldn't mind if they lose a few threads on the process. Without a working search engine, the same elementary questions are  being asked in different threads, even several times /day.

The majority of readers come here to check announcements (or to have fun on people contradicting each other).

Mark Godden, on 09 May 2017 - 20:56, said:snapback.png

Without wishing to sound unkind to anyone, a portfolio link does allow others to see the quality of work produced by those handing out advice here - and subsequently decide the worth of their advice

Couldn't agree more.

In this case things are very simple: don't follow advice from people with a hidden portfolio.