Kate Shutterstock

Policy Clarification - Similar Content Submissions

245 posts in this topic

To create a better customer experience on our site and help you sell more content, we have updated our policy regarding the submission of similar images.

Submitting subtle variations of the same image can be considered content spamming and is not permitted. We continuously evaluate our collection and remove images that do not meet our policies.

To learn more about our Similar Content standards, please see “How Similar Content is Defined.”

Для того, чтобы создать лучший пользовательский опыт на нашем сайте и помочь вам продать больше контента, мы обновили нашу политику в отношении представления подобных изображений.

Отправка тонкие вариации одного и того же изображения можно считать спам содержание и не допускается. Мы постоянно оценивать нашу коллекцию и удалять изображения, которые не соответствуют нашим правилам.

Чтобы узнать больше о наших сходное содержание стандартов, смотрите «Как сходное содержание определяется.»

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1352484331479879&set=a.134635133264811.21991.100001549759570&type=3&theater Twins Diamond is more like glass

I think this is actually good news for us small contributors, as it should mean that the pictures will generally stay longer visible before getting buried by batches of 20+ "same" pictures. It would have been better though if you published this information and THEN started to enforce it. Seems to me I was the first to fall victim to it and having a 75% refusal rate for previously accepted batches.

Also, if you start removing similar pictures from contributors, try to let them know and perhaps allow them to choose which file should stay and which should be removed. If at all possible, do not make that choice for them.

I hope it will have the above stated effect - if so, congratulations and thank you for that.

What about a black and white conversion of colour photo? I assume this is okay as it is not a "subtle variation"?

+1

stock-photo-old-medieval-genoese-fortres

Travel photo. Scope: tourist magazines, booklets, media.

stock-photo-ancient-fortress-on-top-of-a

Art photo. Scope: posters, print, book cover, music album.

So I see two versions of the same image here. And what does the Shutterstock team see?

Re the above - yes they are the same image, but they are NOT subtle differences, so surely a conversion to black & white is acceptable, as a buyer may prefer the photo in either colour or black and white - this way they have a choice?

I am pleased that at last 'very similar' images and vectors will not be allowed.  They are over crowding the site, which means buyers have to look further for an image they want - which takes them longer and they may well just go elsewhere.

Anything that may help contributors is a good thing.

Great policy ...It will last untill SS realize that other agencies still accepting work in different colors.

And someone there rubbing their hands.  :) 

Can you fix upload and other bugs now ?

I understand those who complained about too much "similar content" in certain areas. But I'm not happy about the radical change they introduces all of a sudden without even letting contributors know before the first rejections came in.

And I do believe my considerations have some business sense. Please come up with a more sensible approach quickly.

My thoughts are too long for a forum. If some cares to read them, I've put them on my blog: http://www.michaeljayfoto.com/agency-news/shutterstock-shows-sudden-knee-jerk-reaction-on-similar-content/

Re the above - yes they are the same image, but they are NOT subtle differences, so surely a conversion to black & white is acceptable, as a buyer may prefer the photo in either colour or black and white - this way they have a choice?

To me, if one provides the image in color, having a black and white version also available is in my opinion, duplicating. Surely the buyer can convert? Don't get me wrong, I don't mind creating 2 versions of the same image, but I feel it's cheating :) If it's not, I might have to start doing it.

I think this is actually good news for us small contributors, as it should mean that the pictures will generally stay longer visible before getting buried by batches of 20+ "same" pictures. It would have been better though if you published this information and THEN started to enforce it. Seems to me I was the first to fall victim to it and having a 75% refusal rate for previously accepted batches.

Also, if you start removing similar pictures from contributors, try to let them know and perhaps allow them to choose which file should stay and which should be removed. If at all possible, do not make that choice for them.

I hope it will have the above stated effect - if so, congratulations and thank you for that.

+1 to that.

Clarification please on backgrounds - does this mean alternative backgrounds (eg white, green screen chroma key) will no longer be accepted?

(I am happy to abide by the ruling either way. I'm only asking because there are customers who are not tech-savvy enough, or don't have time, to key out their own backgrounds etc.)

Similar images really a problem when choosing, it's annoying.. but why can not you just structure the content, leaving a few (2-3) in search and many-many copies in subfolder for each contributor.
Just correctly structure, don't bunned, terminate account.

It's hard to do: a folder and a preview to search? (question into the void, of course)

123.jpg

Or they haven't vector editor - in case of vector images.

Or they haven't the same font to create their own text.

Or the text created with some complicated effects, patterns etc.

And they surely are not going to spend months learning how to do anything, they want what they want and they want it ready to go with the least effort needed so they can just use it as it is and move on rather than spend hours working on it.

I think sensibility and balance are in order.

To have some variations i.e. With text/ without text, some color variations, some angle variations should be allowed.

However, we all know that certain contributers go too far and the similars become egrigeous. There has to be a sensible way to apply a cap of what is acceptable.

I wouldnt be surprised if this came at the behest of some buyers, who must be wading through pages and pages of similars, which ends up wasting huge amounts of time, and we all know when it co es to work, time is money.

Bingo.

Absolutely.

Many are not designers and they are nothing more than the average Joe.

Or they haven't vector editor - in case of vector images.

Or they haven't the same font to create their own text.

Or the text created with some complicated effects, patterns etc.

+ 1 for that . And I would like to add that many of Shutterstock buyers don't have photoshop or light room too. Or any other photo editor. They simply can't edit photos even if they know how . 

Also : buyers DON'T want semi product to work on it by themself...they DO want FINISHED PRODUCT. 

I tottaly agree with this anti-spamming fight but in first two days you guys rejecting everything that even looks like duplication.

And by the way....we all must ask one simple question....if other agencies accepting work in different colors , variations , and sell images / vectors that doesn't need aditional work on them...where will customers go ?

I wouldnt be surprised if this came at the behest of some buyers, who must be wading through pages and pages of similars, which ends up wasting huge amounts of time, and we all know when it co es to work, time is money.

I'm pretty sure that is it. If you read Kate's announcement she says it is to enhance customer's experience. I know that I don't have the patience to scroll through a whole page of the same image with miniscule alterations when I need an image.

If they do actually start removing existing similars from the library, it is going to get interesting around the forum!

Most of the rules they've implemented seem to move from time implemented forward. Like the change in what images they accept, it doesn't seem like they go back and delete the images no longer in compliance unless it's something legal involved like the graffiti issues or Harley Davidson, etc. where a lawsuit may be involved. I'm no expert, but that seems to be what they've been doing, so I doubt they'll be removing similar images from ports. They haven't deleted the keyword spammers from what I've seen either.

Well SS has the privilege of doing the rules... but the problem is how this rules are being implemented by supervisors.

I have read “How Similar Content is Defined.” and I am very surprised because some things are really logical, but other not too much. You must konw how to do some things and have teh software and how to use it, to get different resuts. 

my experience... some of my images have been rejected by "similar content" and are really different images, taken the same day, the same subject, but differents angles, diferents distances, different light, different procesing and finally diferents pictures. And all of there have been refuses. All of them.

I re-upload some of them and........ all have been acepted. All of them.

Finaly this means more work for the contributors and mor work for the customers because now the buyers now must retouch the pictures.

+ 1 for that . And I would like to add that many of Shutterstock buyers don't have photoshop or light room too. Or any other photo editor. They simply can't edit photos even if they know how . 

Also : buyers DON'T want semi product to work on it by themself...they DO want FINISHED PRODUCT. 

I tottaly agree with this anti-spamming fight but in first two days you guys rejecting everything that even looks like duplication.

And by the way....we all must ask one simple question....if other agencies accepting work in different colors , variations , and sell images / vectors that doesn't need aditional work on them...where will customers go ?

BINGO.