Alex Shutterstock

Testing New Pricing Plans for Customers

Hi,

In response to customer requests, and to continue to drive more downloads, we will be testing some new pricing plans on our customer site. More specifically, we are introducing two small subscriptions to complement the 350 and 750 options.

Under these plans, customers will be able to purchase 10 or 50 images a month. They’ll have the option to renew month to month, or to sign up for a year at a time. If these plans are popular, and result in increased downloads and earnings as we expect, they may become a permanent part of our product offering.

For these test products, your earnings will be calculated as a percentage of the purchase price, according to your earning tier in the Custom Image / Enhanced License Image category.  You will see these earnings in the Single and Other column in your earnings summary.

During this test period, we are only making these new pricing plans available to a limited number of customers, in certain geographic regions. You may not see them offered in your region, but customers from other regions may use these plans to license your images, regardless of where you are.

Thanks!

pricing-test.jpg

You have identified the target audience for the two new packages (small businesses in advertising or design)
from sales the authors will receive a percentage instead a fixed rate, OK

Alex, what about the other audience (big media, big companies, resellers), those who buy a package of 750 images at the price 26 cents per image. This price is lower than payout for many authors... or large customers is a very small part of all buyers?

thank you art_of_sun for the explaining chart!

Firstly they cut commissions on extended license, it used to be $28, now it is hardly brings more than $16, and now demands mysteriously fall from $2.85 to $0.81. 

I already had closed my accounts on other microstock sites because of their commission policies, and now shutterstock goes the same direction. I used to live on earnings from stock images, it is not possible anymore. I will have to go back to office. Good buy the golden age of creativity! Hello the dark ages of office slavery.  

• photo-1375413.png?_r=1446461353
  • Members
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 3 posts

Alex, is there a possibility not to be a part of this plan - you know, opt in, opt out? Choice is always a good option ;)

Basicly aren't you offering your customers a mere demping? If a demand' s gonna cost now from 0,87 to 0,05 that's not a way for contributor to keep his earnings high or at least normal. Only Shutterstock's gonna gain from this. But just at first.

Don't you think that your customers are leaving because tonns of similar images and constant bugs? Not because of expensive images. Don't you think that experienced contributors just will make some exclusive partnership with other stocks and bunches of crap's gonna inondate Shutterstock because you're gonna pay nothing for it and it will worth nothing? Don'y you think it's just an easy way to raise up sales, banish all normal stockers, lower your images level and then bring Shutterstock to extinction?

Customer request is nice thing but it's always "1000 for $1" or something like that. There is always some production cost of more than mediocre quality image, right? Such a low pricing is the way to get about 100% of new Shutterstock library consisting of spontaneous smartphone photos which production cost was about zero.  

I chose the wrong time to join microstock I guess, with these prices I will never earn anything significant. If you think about it. I pay a lot of money to travel(also one time purchase of camera) and other expenses. To take some pictures which are sold at 0.25 cents. With 0.06 cents probably a lot of cotributors will close their accounts. 

It took me a long time to get to 36c per photo - to have it cut to possibly less than the original 25c start up is depressing - it's true contributors will not upload as much as it won't be worth their while.  SS will get less images buyers will get bored as not so many new uploads and go elsewhere.

I know times are hard for all - but to knock us back this hard is terrible.

Hmm.  Giving a better deal to customers has to be paid for either through Shutterstock profits or contributor earnings.  I'd be interested to see the research evidence around how the hoped-for increase in volume will make up for the per-item cut that the contributor will likely suffer.  Business models have to be flexible, I guess.