I think one of the reasons for the drop in sales is when one of your images are sold now SS changed the similar images to choose from your own similar to others in the SS library and under same artist it does not show similar but does show your newest images, that makes no sense at all  :mellow:

I assume this is a global change of design, site structure and other changes! Was also the fall of the site.
Such search engines don't like. Perhaps this and no sales.

+1

Probably SS changed how the pages are displayed. That reflects as reduction in google ranking because google does not now where the content is anymore. Google needs to re-crawl the entire site from scratch which takes alot of time for a huge site like SS.

But I believe its not the only reason why the sales are low. There should be other reasons as well.

+1

Probably SS changed how the pages are displayed. That reflects as reduction in google ranking because google does not now where the content is anymore. Google needs to re-crawl the entire site from scratch which takes alot of time for a huge site like SS.

But I believe its not the only reason why the sales are low. There should be other reasons as well.

Sounds reasonable.

​But why on hearth do they do that? If they get so bored can they not just play table tennis?

Sounds reasonable.

​But why on hearth do they do that? If they get so bored can they not just play table tennis?

I think it's worth it! Such changes have a reservation more than one month think they know what they are doing. Shutterstock has the best SEO experts and Web Designers. No need to panic. Will only get better, you only need to wait a bit :)

"I think one of the reasons for the drop in sales is when one of your images are sold now SS changed the similar images to choose from your own similar to others in the SS library and under same artist it does not show similar but does show your newest images, that makes no sense at all :mellow:"

My recollection is that under same artist, it used to show other images uploaded around the same time, which may or may not have had relevance.

Not that that means anything.

I believe it is because they eliminated the "Similar Images from the same Artist" below the image selected and replaced it with images that are often unrelated. They are not rewarding the artist who sold an image with their "similar images". If you have tried searching in SS, it is much more difficult to find your popular images; they have changed the search algorithm.

If I were a customer, I would be seriously annoyed with these new 'similar image' suggestions because the majority of the 'similars' may seem similar to some computer algorithm but not to human beings. No wonder sales are down. Here's my latest example of not similar similars. The crazy thing is that I have an almost identical image in which the two threepenny bits are replaced by one sixpence but that image is apparently not 'similar' enough to be shown. The only example there of coins is of Swedish coins whereas I suspect the customer is really looking for UK pre-decimal coinage. What a farce.

post-1374373-0-22234500-1486379407_thumb.jpg

Hi

I've been doing this nearly a year, fairly seriously for 6 months I guess. Still very firmly in the 25c club, although at this rate I will hit the next tier soon.

January was my BME - more than double previous BME.

I think I was hit last year by the removal of the "Undiscovered" (ie New) button last year, so when that came back it helped as I am uploading regularly.

Apart from my sales being higher now, what I have noticed is that as well as a few images that sell regularly, I am getting quite a few "Sold for the 1st time", and what's interesting is that these are everything from approved the same day, right back to images I uploaded months ago.

Now, whether the SS algorithm is prioritising images from 25c tier contributors, or if it's just NOT prioritising historical best sellers any more, I'll leave that to the conspiracy theorists.

I agree that the "Similar images" and "From the same seller" both display largely irrelevant images, but what I do wonder is if "Similar" uses the same "Popular" algorithm as the regular search? Maybe that's helping me and others who don't have a long standing portfolio of images with 100s or 1000s of downloads.

If things do appear to change when I hit 33c, I'll let you know, although no doubt all the algorithms will have changed again by then.

Gary

I've noticed a dramatic loss in sales since April. Which I was really surprised by as I had made a real effort to be uploading more images from March through to May. I agree with other that the similar shots from same artist feature is likely to have affected this and also the free relatively large images that can now be downloaded. 

If this continues then I will be stopping using shutterstock.

Same here, big drop in sales especially this year, doesn't matter if I upload new images or not. It was very different 5 years ago when I started, it was very different even 2 years ago, also wondering what happened and will it ever come back to normal.

Over a two year period 2014-2015 I had a 40% drop in sales ($'s). Since the start of 2016 my monthly sales have remained constant.

I must also mention that in the last year I increased the size of my port by 33%. The 1,000+ images and 100+ video's added over the last year has had absolutely zero affect on $ amount earned which has remained flat lined since Jan 2016

Yes, it's very strange of course. I have the feeling that my portfolio just disconnect from sales for more than a month.

No incentive to upload new works :(

im curious.., this condition is only affect with contributor with 3++ years experience ??

what about new contributor ?? are they have same decreasing sales too

Yep, my sales have almost stopped.

Yesterday (Wednesday) was the first weekday with ZERO sales since I joined over three years ago.

Weekends have always been quiet, but generally sold a few - not anymore.

My motivation has been worn down. It's a lot of effort for too little reward.

Maybe it's time to look to other things.