davidek1

second photo rejected because file size

It's clearly just a bug. 4 images out of a batch of 40 were rejected with this reason when all the images are at 6000x4000 and are comparable file sizes.

Does make you wonder what the hell is happening in the system when it becomes unable to calculate image dimensions properly though.

Same issue here. One image rejected for size (5.45MB) or not enough pixels (15.5MP)... Hoping to figure out if I'm able to resubmit when there's clearly nothing for me to fix on this end.

Had two other photographs (photographs... that's the important word here) rejected earlier in the week for not having reference images included...

Getting quite frustrated having images rejected for non-existing issues that aren't anything I can fix. At least when I get told that it's not sharp enough or there's too much noise... I may disagree at times, but at least it gives me feedback I can work with.

"Photos that are submitted to Shutterstock must be of professional quality. We accept photo submissions in jpeg and tiff format, but strongly recommend you to upload only in jpeg format because all images are automatically converted to jpeg upon submission. 

Minimum Uploading sizes

All images must be at least 4MP (4 Megapixels) but preferably 5MP or larger and set at the highest quality settings to produce at minimum a 4MP image. Images that are 3.8 or 3.9MP may be upsized slightly by you so that it becomes 4MP, but do not exceed this amount as you will get quality loss from enlarging the photo too much. If your images are smaller than 3.8MP, Shutterstock cannot accept your submission. 

Maximum uploading sizes

There are no maximum uploading sizes for jpeg images.

Please keep in mind: Our requirements are in Megapixels (MP) not Megabytes (MB). You can view the Megapixel dimensions of your image by accessing the image properties or by opening the image in an image-editing program and viewing the properties there. Please always check your photos at 100% for noise and make sure the subject is focused properly before submitting.

To determine the amount of pixels in a photo, multiply the pixel width by the pixel length.

For example:

2000 x 2400 pixels equal 4.8 Megapixels. A photo of this size is valid.

1200 x 3000 pixels equal 3.6 Megapixels. This is smaller than our minimum size requirement, and this photo will not be accepted by our system. 

Super Size:

The image that you submit to us will become the Large format on our website. The Super format is created for images that are 15 MP or less, so if the original image you submitted to us is over 15 MP, a Super size is not necessary and will not be made available."

I wish they'd correct that statement. There may not be a limit in terms of MP but images over I think 30mb or 35mb on SS and 25mb on BS are automatically rejected on upload. Unless an image is pretty much solid white or 8 bit colour it is rarely possible to upload anything larger than around 14,000 × 12,000. At least that's the largest I've managed.

Yes I know that's a pretty absurdly large size anyway... it was just annoying to render a nice big seamless texture only to have to scale it down to meet some arbitrary size limit. Makes offering sets of high resolution images like stylised alphabets impractical without uploading individual files instead.

I wish they'd correct that statement. There may not be a limit in terms of MP but images over I think 30mb or 35mb on SS and 25mb on BS are automatically rejected on upload. Unless an image is pretty much solid white or 8 bit colour it is rarely possible to upload anything larger than around 14,000 × 12,000. At least that's the largest I've managed.

Yes I know that's a pretty absurdly large size anyway... it was just annoying to render a nice big seamless texture only to have to scale it down to meet some arbitrary size limit. Makes offering sets of high resolution images like stylised alphabets impractical without uploading individual files instead.

The large ones are supposed to go through using FTP for uploading.

Jeff,

Were these jpegs rejected for being too large or couldn't you upload them because of the size? There is no size limitation for photos, but larger images can have issues uploading due to their size (depending on ISP, connection, time, etc.)

Vincent

Shutterstock

This is and apparently will continue to be an issue.

short story

submitted 8 Illustrations, Just sat there.

submitted 22 Illustrations reviewed and accepted

Original 8 still there

Deleted the 8

Submitted the 8 again. 5 sent back because they were not Jpeg.....They were...DUH

Deleted all and uploaded the 8 again......well see.

Stupid waste of time.

short story

submitted 8 Illustrations, Just sat there.

submitted 22 Illustrations reviewed and accepted

Original 8 still there

Deleted the 8

Submitted the 8 again. 5 sent back because they were not Jpeg.....They were...DUH

Deleted all and uploaded the 8 again......well see.

Stupid waste of time.

Indeed.

A lot of us have had so many glitches like this in recent years it's getting harder and harder to escape the conclusion that, with well over 100 million images now and nearly another million getting added every week, SS databases and storage servers are collapsing. Much or all of the network is likely outsourced to multiple vendors. Many scheduled backups may be considerably outdated the moment they are created, so there is probably frequent confusion among the SS database admins (if any are still on staff) as to which sets of data are current.

Laurin, your images that "Just sat there" almost certainly never made it to the review process. That's happened with a number of mine. I don't think it's intentional. It's overload. Their servers can no longer handle all the transactions, even with automated reviews. At this point, though, SS probably can't afford to add all the hardware and software capacity and all the staff it would take to make things run smoothly all the time. Infrastructure is expensive. Acquisition of large, well-known image collections seems to be the top priority. My guess is that most of their technical dollars are going toward integration of those collections with one another, not toward restoration or improvement of the back end that we contributors have to use.

I just got the same status notice of recently submitted images, this time 12 images:546005467, 546005470, 546005473, 5476757498, 548268643, 548268649, 548268652, 548268661, 548268811, 549265756, 549265759, 549265765. All fulfill the size demand, and similar images have been approved. Frankly I think I spend too much time controlling, that SS does the job we as contributors expect it to do. I mean no contributors, no customers!!

What annoys me most is, why don't we get an official explanation of one of the top executives, and what they will do to correct the issue. That could also save us a lot of time on the forum, although it is nice to speak with you guys out there around the world :-)

Messaged Jon Oringer and SS on facebook about this latest problem

Don't bother complaining here just go straight to the boss

Fine, let's see if that solves the problem or provoke a qualified reply and explanation. :-)

"Photos that are submitted to Shutterstock must be of professional quality. We accept photo submissions in jpeg and tiff format, but strongly recommend you to upload only in jpeg format because all images are automatically converted to jpeg upon submission. 

Minimum Uploading sizes

All images must be at least 4MP (4 Megapixels) but preferably 5MP or larger and set at the highest quality settings to produce at minimum a 4MP image. Images that are 3.8 or 3.9MP may be upsized slightly by you so that it becomes 4MP, but do not exceed this amount as you will get quality loss from enlarging the photo too much. If your images are smaller than 3.8MP, Shutterstock cannot accept your submission. 

Maximum uploading sizes

Please keep in mind: Our requirements are in Megapixels (MP) not Megabytes (MB). You can view the Megapixel dimensions of your image by accessing the image properties or by opening the image in an image-editing program and viewing the properties there. Please always check your photos at 100% for noise and make sure the subject is focused properly before submitting.

To determine the amount of pixels in a photo, multiply the pixel width by the pixel length.

For example:

1200 x 3000 pixels equal 3.6 Megapixels. This is smaller than our minimum size requirement, and this photo will not be accepted by our system. 

Super Size:

The image that you submit to us will become the Large format on our website. The Super format is created for images that are 15 MP or less, so if the original image you submitted to us is over 15 MP, a Super size is not necessary and will not be made available."

So you show you know the difference ! 

But then, can you tell us why pictures 4252x2835 pixels have been ALL rejected ? 

For example: