submitting images taken with iphone

Hi all,  I am admittedly one of the last people on the planet to get a cell phone and am trying to understand how it's possible to submit photos to shutterstock taken with an iphone 7 plus.

I am confused about the resolution.  When I took a few test shots with the camera phone and transferred to photoshop, they're showing up as only having a resolution of 72 as opposed to the 300 that shows up on my files from my Nikon.  I thought perhaps there was a setting where I could increase the res. on the iphone but checked with the carrier and apparently that isn't the case?  How are photos taken with a cell phone suitable for uploading if they have such a low resolution? 

thanks for any help or advice on shooting with a cell phone.  I don't intend to use it exclusively for stock but would like to be sure I have all the right settings, etc. in case I would want to submit any. 

~marie

Are you sure you are not getting MP mixed up with MB?

I don't have the Iphone but a lot of people I know do and they are shooting full sized and submitting images and 4K videos from them.

I have two settings for my images.

There has to be a way for you to get into your settings and change things.

ahhh...okay, so I told you I was confused! lol!  still can't understand why the file size in MB is so much smaller even than the snapshots I take with my Canon G10.  Most of those files are in the 5-7 MB range and these files are just so small in comparison.

MB is all about the amount of info in the image the more info the more MB.

I found this discussion online where others are having the same issue and the only suggestion from Apple was regarding keeping files at their full size when using the icloud library which is of no help since I have not turned on the option to backup with the icloud library  (just like someone else in the discussion thread noted)

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7754006?start=0&tstart=0

It's just very odd

I guess I'm just disappointed in the quality when you look at the photos at full size on a computer monitor.  They just seem so inferior to images taken with a DSLR and with all of the hype, I'm surprised. 

On portraits, when you look at the image at 100%, the facial features are somewhat pixelated and the details just aren't there.  I have a hard time understanding how phone photos can be accepted and sell as stock considering how strict the reviews used to be.  I know... it's a whole new game now but I still just don't get it ;)

I guess I'm just disappointed in the quality when you look at the photos at full size on a computer monitor.  They just seem so inferior to images taken with a DSLR and with all of the hype, I'm surprised. 

On portraits, when you look at the image at 100%, the facial features are somewhat pixelated and the details just aren't there.  I have a hard time understanding how phone photos can be accepted and sell as stock considering how strict the reviews used to be.  I know... it's a whole new game now but I still just don't get it ;)

If you get the lighting right they will look great that is the trick.

• 1 year later...
On 1/7/2017 at 1:51 AM, mcfields said:

Hi all,  I am admittedly one of the last people on the planet to get a cell phone and am trying to understand how it's possible to submit photos to shutterstock taken with an iphone 7 plus.

I am confused about the resolution.  When I took a few test shots with the camera phone and transferred to photoshop, they're showing up as only having a resolution of 72 as opposed to the 300 that shows up on my files from my Nikon.  I thought perhaps there was a setting where I could increase the res. on the iphone but checked with the carrier and apparently that isn't the case?  How are photos taken with a cell phone suitable for uploading if they have such a low resolution? 

thanks for any help or advice on shooting with a cell phone.  I don't intend to use it exclusively for stock but would like to be sure I have all the right settings, etc. in case I would want to submit any. 

~marie

hmm 300 is dpt, the resolution is 2000x2000 if im not wrong. but i got approve all of my iphone5 pic and android. but no selling yet lol