rsandelius

Keyword/Metadata Workflow for Footage Submissions

When submitting footage, the hardest part seems to be keywording and metadata entry. Does anyone have a good workflow for simplifying and making this process less painful? Keyword generators (for ideas, not for copy & paste), metadata apps, file organization, etc? Currently I'm just kind of making it up/thinking it up as I go and not surprisingly, it's not very efficient at ALL. 

i don't have any tricks or tips for metadata entry at all - I do it as I submit it. SS accepts CSVs but I've never bothered. Since each site has its own specific CSV layout, I figure either I enter it on their content manager, or I enter it in apple numbers, the only difference is, introducing a new step, and a new metadata file increases the likelihood that a mistake will happen somewhere along the line, so I just enter in the content manager on the fly.  

the only tip i can offer you is my file organization: 

so I dump raw files to a raw folder, which is then sub categorized by camera, and then further sub categorized by shoot date. 

I export to a separate folder for stock specific footage, which has subfolders for each month the footage was shot in. So a folder for 2016.01JANUARY, 2016.02FEBRUARY and so on. 

Then I can find something I shot as long as i remember when I shot it roughly, and then I can track let's say "JAN, FEB, MARCH, APRIL have been sent to SS, still need to send APRIL to P5" which I do on good old fashion paper and clipboard. lol.  

I used to start file names with their resolution (so like.. 1080p-autumn-sunset-lakeshore.mov) but I stopped doing that because the 1080p takes up too much space and I'd rather be able to read more of the title. it helps me keyword it in the content manager. Now I just give relevant titles so it's easier to know what the clip shows. 

thats it - nothing special here really, but maybe it will help in some small way. 

Adobe Bridge is the solution to footage keywording, I believe.  Honestly, I can't live without it, and highly recommend it. If you have access to it then it will save you hours and hours and hours of extra work.

I key all my metadata for clips (as well as images) using Bridge, and it is stored there attached to the original file and easy to access at any time you need. And as far as I know, its one of the few keywording software tools that can do this.

Keywords are stored in Bridge in a hierarchical structure which are easy to locate or to add new ones. You can also add heaps of other info including titles, descriptions, copyright notices, country, author, etc, etc.

I agree with Sari, use SS keywording tool for clip keywords, but once you put them in Bridge, they are always there for future use for other files, whether images or clips. And then all you need to do is just click on the ones you want. Plus its a ready reminder of what keywords to use for particular subjects.

Unfortunately, the metadata does not go through to SS, nothing does. You still have copy/paste them when submitting to SS - or use a CSV, like Chris mentioned above.

However, the good thing about the metadata added via Bridge, is that it DOES go through when you upload to other agencies such as P5, VB and FT. And even if you are not uploading to them at the moment, if you decide to in the future, all your metadata will be there and you don't have to key, copy or paste again.

Hope this helps.

(PS: A big thanks to Jeff Banke for encouraging me to use Bridge a few years ago for images. He has saved me a fortune in time savings alone  :) )

So far, I am using google spreadsheets to keep track of titles/descriptions/keywords for my footage, but as others said, it still needs manual copy/paste method to enter data to SS... And spreadsheets are becoming messy after a few thousand clips :D

Adobe Bridge is the solution to footage keywording, I believe.  

However, the good thing about the metadata added via Bridge, is that it DOES go through when you upload to other agencies such as P5, VB and FT. And even if you are not uploading to them at the moment, if you decide to in the future, all your metadata will be there and you don't have to key, copy or paste again.

This is interesting info!

Can you tell me, where is this info stored? Is it in some internal storage of Adobe Bridge, or is it stored directly in video files?

It is attached to fields in the video file, just the same as it does for images.

Bridge acts as a database where you store your whole collection of keywords. But when you click on them, it attaches the data to the video or image file.  

Another advantage of Bridge is that you can set up Templates. For example, I have set one up for my GoPro Vehicle POV clips, where I use the same standard keywords (pov, point of view, driving, road, car, vehicle, etc, etc) for all of them, and then I just add extra ones for each particular clip destination. Honestly, it is a HUGE time saver.

Hope that makes sense.

It is attached to fields in the video file, just the same as it does for images.

Bridge acts as a database where you store your whole collection of keywords. But when you click on them, it attaches the data to the video or image file.  

Another advantage of Bridge is that you can set up Templates. For example, I have set one up for my GoPro Vehicle POV clips, where I use the same standard keywords (pov, point of view, driving, road, car, vehicle, etc, etc) for all of them, and then I just add extra ones for each particular clip destination. Honestly, it is a HUGE time saver.

Hope that makes sense.

That sounds awesome!

I'll have to check it out definitely.

I was living under the impression that none of the existing stock websites reads metadata out from videos (I was also not sure that there was a metadata field for videos at all :D ) so I kept everything manually.

And those templates sound very good! I always wanted to be able to do that, but never came to it :)

Thank you very much for your advice.

Thanks. Yes, P5, VB and FT definitely pick up the metadata. (Not sure about other sites.) Its just SS that doesn't and I have to copy/paste.

Forgot to add my file organisation:

1. New files go into folders separated by camera type: GoPro, iPhone, Nikon DSLR (etc).

2. after initial checking, the ones I want to process go to: Clips_ToBeEdited. 

3. the edited files then go into: Clips_ToBeKeyworded, and the originals go back to the files in step 1.

4. after keywording in Bridge, files are moved to Clips_ToBeUploaded with sub-folders for the different agencies that I upload to.

5. after they have all been uploaded to the agencies, they are moved into: Clips_Final, with sub-folders for the different categories of subject matter - in the same way I would if we had clip Sets on SS (!!). So, I can keep track of what topics/subjects sell most.

File extensions that I now use are: Subject_detail_type. For example: AdelaidePOV_AirportTerminal_4kRT

That sounds awesome!

I'll have to check it out definitely.

I was living under the impression that none of the existing stock websites reads metadata out from videos (I was also not sure that there was a metadata field for videos at all :D ) so I kept everything manually.

And those templates sound very good! I always wanted to be able to do that, but never came to it :)

Thank you very much for your advice.

forgot to add, when adding your metadata in Bridge don't forget to use the Title field as well as the Description.

FT picks up what you have in the Title field

P5 picks up both, Title and Description,

but VB doesn't pick up either Title or Description (I must write to them and find out why not, or if there is another field)

However, all of those three agencies pick up all the keywords.

My workflow uses Phase One Media Pro, which I have used since 2012. Unfortunately it costs around $189 these days, but its definitely paid for itself. For Shutterstock content, I create a catalog, add clips, add metadata including keywords, then export the csv file of all the metadata by filename. If I need, I can manipulate the data using R which is an analytical programming language that is extremely useful for handling data. I use it to analyze my sales. From R I export the final csv, upload, review and submit. Its very fast and easy. All of my keywords are saved in the Media Pro catalog so I can apply them to new content, much like Adobe Bridge. I can also create sets to group clips that need metadata, are uploaded, pending approval or approved. Been doing it this way for years although with other agencies.

What I like about Media Pro is the export option to create custom csv and spreadsheet files with any metadata field you want, as well as to create custom categories. I have created an "Editorial" and "r-rated" custom category so that I can export a csv that is ready for upload and not hassle with R. Its a very fast and consistent workflow for working with large amounts of images.