Kate Shutterstock

Shutterstock's Position on Repeated Words and Phrases in Titles

Thanks Jon and SS!

Really happy that  Jon and SS reacted like this...

Have got very hard day today, feeling like I loosed ground under my feet...

With clarifying what happened and what to do, it`s much better now...

Best regards,

Trucic

I've noticed several contributors mention that some of their images had been deleted.  How do you know this?  Are you receiving emails?  Or, just noticing missing images?

Hi Warren,

I want to reassure you that no images have been removed as part of this issue.

Thanks,

Kate

Well, my portfolio is so tiny (really nano-sized) so I went through it twice within 1 hour. LOL.

I changed some of my titles, where I can find the redundancy of words and good way to correct it. That wasn't spamming anyway, some natural repeats like a name as a part of city name and next as a part of object name or place. 

I prefer to blow on cold water instead of to fall more deep.

Hi, just got the second email where no action needed from me! Oh, nice to know that this was a mistake. Thanks, SS Team, for clarification.

Because I was in panic thinking how many images I should go through looking for something wrong what I have no idea about.

I am still soooooo peeved I went and changed my PERFECT titles for NOTHING!!! Can't even remember what they were so that I can put them back to normal!

Since the email was posted here, I assume no action is needed from anyone, so what the hell was that all about? 

How about some robust compliance standards in regards to your programming and communication?

Yes. This. I agree too.

Got the second email. All is back to normal.

However - did anybody notice this strange coincidence of these two events - the *very* unusual "spammer" email yesterday and the big SSTK stock move on the same day? Is it weird or what?

http://www.engelwooddaily.com/check-on-unusual-volume-for-shutterstock-inc-nysesstk/407204/

Shutterstock snaps up a benchmark spot

Finally, Shutterstock climbed 7%. The provider of digital images, videos, and other content for web design and creative projects was invited to join the primary small-cap index from S&P Dow Jones Indices, the S&P SmallCap 600. The announcement was made Wednesday afternoon, and Shutterstock will take the place of Southwest Gas in a domino-effect move that involves its moving up to S&P Dow Jones Indices' S&P MidCap 400 index. The move takes effect after the close of business today, so index funds will need to pick up shares of Shutterstock in order to mirror the S&P SmallCap 600's performance on Friday and beyond. Such bumps don't always last, but it does represent an achievement for Shutterstock in validating its growth efforts.

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/06/30/why-starz-schnitzer-steel-industries-and-shutterst.aspx?source=yahoo-2&utm_campaign=article&utm_medium=feed&utm_source=yahoo-2

ok Kate Shutterstock, thank you for clarification but my removed images will be restored? (editorials with Harley Davidson without duplicate words)

No.  They were removed as HD images are no longer allowed on SS, either as commercial or editorial.  This had nothing to do with the e-mail fiasco, but was simply co-incidental at the same time.

No.  They were removed as HD images are no longer allowed on SS, either as commercial or editorial.  This had nothing to do with the e-mail fiasco, but was simply co-incidental at the same time.

Realy? Can you give a link where you read it?

In "Known Image Restrictions" says that only "Unacceptable for commercial use". About editorial use nothing written.

22 pages of Harleys.

And how do you know this?

Anyone that has and knows any info like this is almost certainly an insider working for SS in some manner especially since there is nothing anywhere about it and nothing forwarded to any contributors.

Harley Davidson Motorcycles, Logos and Products

• Harley Davidson products, logos, insignias, names and/or keywords cannot be used for Royalty-Free stock imagery.
  • Unacceptable for commercial use.

Nothing about Editorial.

Yeah it is bye bye time.

As we close this sorry mess of a Spam Email sent about Spam titles it might be useful to reflect on a number of things:

1. We were offended both by the tone of the EMail and the suggestion that we were spammers.  Most contributors take a significant amount of time on keywording and titling their images. We need reassurance that future communications will be properly reviewed so as not to alienate so many contributors.

2. A huge amount of contributor time has been wasted in reacting to the first email either by checking our on portfolios or following the issue on this and other forums. We need re-assurance that future initiatives will have appropriate checks to ensure that so many of us will not have our time wasted in this way. In restrospect, basic professional checks around the output of this exercise would have done this.

3. Goodwill still exists. One way of detecting real spam would be to instigate a proper reporting system.  I would gladly report images which I believe are potentially undermining my sales through spam keywords. My personal dislike is where an keyword gives incorrect geographical information - for instance, an Oriental image which has Beijing, Shanghai, Singapore as keywords, but was actually taken in Taiwan. If the combination of keywords and titles sets out to confuse buyers then they may well make embarrassing buying decisions.

Everything is very confusing even in SS guidelines. Here is from "How is Title Spamming Defined?"

Three words in the title are not allowed in the first instance but the same words are allowed in the second instance. They may have another meaning in the allowed part but .......

which one is it right now?

SS.jpg

Btw. since when are we not allowed to upload images from PC to this forum? Earlier, when I clicked on "more reply options" I could browse and upload directly from laptop, now I had to upload this image to a host first.

How is this confusing? It's pretty obvious: "run running runner" is not a comprehensible sentence, but "Runners running a thanksgiving day..." is.

How is this confusing? It's pretty obvious: "run running runner" is not a comprehensible sentence, but "Runners running a thanksgiving day..." is.

Thank you noedelhap, that is very helpful, I couldn't figure it out on my own.

If you read these 600+ comments in one day on this subject, you will see that honest contributors were concerned about their "comprehensive sentence" titles where the same word occurred twice or three times:

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/88687-shutterstocks-position-on-repeated-words-and-phrases-in-titles/page-18#entry1555765

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/88687-shutterstocks-position-on-repeated-words-and-phrases-in-titles/page-17#entry1555667

http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/88687-shutterstocks-position-on-repeated-words-and-phrases-in-titles/page-16#entry1555608

and many others.

In the meantime, newcomer vector artists spam undisturbed and even make it to top 7 vector port with titles like: Ribbon. Ribbon vector. Ribbon banner. Ribbon award. Ribbon cutting. Ribbon isolated. Ribbon banners. Ribbon border. Ribbon gold. Ribbon vintage. Ribbon icon. Sticker. Banner. Banner vector. Label.

I didn't receive any email, neither of them but I still would like to know what SS expects from its contributors. Obviously, spam works wonders in search and rank.

Hello,

We would like to offer a clarification about yesterday’s email regarding the titles of your content. This email was distributed to a broader group of contributors than we intended. We sincerely apologize for the concern caused. We want to reassure you that no further action is required from you

The vast majority of our community work hard to consistently create powerful and descriptive titles to support their work. Our goal is to create a fair and level playing field for our entire contributor community and we value the time and energy invested into preparing your content for license on Shutterstock. 

We have robust compliance standards in place to protect the integrity of your content and we are investing heavily in developing a new platform to improve the contributor experience. You may have seen some of the new pages recently rolled out. Included in this development will be new contributor tools to help with your content submission process. 

We are working tirelessly on creating the best contributor experience for our content creators and we apologize for the communication yesterday. You can expect that any further communication from us will be detailed, informative, specific, and actionable. 

Thank you, 

Jon Oringer

and

The Shutterstock Contributor Support Team

Thanks for a good news from SS to me...