Kate Shutterstock

Shutterstock's Position on Repeated Words and Phrases in Titles

To Our Contributor Community:

Our customers and contributor community have raised concerns that some contributors are adding repetitive, spam-like titles to their images. Repetitive titles like “orange, orange, orange” and “icon arrow, icon arrow, icon arrow” create a poor customer experience, and are prohibited under our metadata guidelines. These titles are not accepted for publishing during the review process, and editing them in this manner after the fact is simply not allowed.

Contributors who have updated their titles to include repeated words or phrases are required to edit these titles to bring them back into compliance. Contributors who continue to create repetitive or spammy titles will risk having their accounts suspended.

Please see this blog post to learn more about how to create effective titles. Additional information about our recommendations and restrictions can be found in this article.

When you provide unique, detailed metadata, you drive discovery and downloads of your content. By maintaining metadata standards as well as image quality standards, we ensure our customers can quickly and easily find the content they need to tell their stories worldwide.

Thank you,

Kate

To Our Contributor Community:

Our customers and contributor community have raised concerns that some contributors are adding repetitive, spam-like titles to their images. Repetitive titles like “orange, orange, orange” and “icon arrow, icon arrow, icon arrow” create a poor customer experience, and are prohibited under our metadata guidelines. These titles are not accepted for publishing during the review process, and editing them in this manner after the fact is simply not allowed.

Contributors who have updated their titles to include repeated words or phrases are required to edit these titles to bring them back into compliance. Contributors who continue to create repetitive or spammy titles will risk having their accounts suspended.

Please see this blog post to learn more about how to create effective titles. Additional information about our recommendations and restrictions can be found in this article.

When you provide unique, detailed metadata, you drive discovery and downloads of your content. By maintaining metadata standards as well as image quality standards, we ensure our customers can quickly and easily find the content they need to tell their stories worldwide.

Thank you,

Katere

Is there any time frame for fixing the malfunctioning QUOTES during uploading where QUOTES get broken into separate words which is also creating spamming but on the part of SS's lack of fixing the QUOTES that has been broken for years now and SS has known about it for years and yet has still yet to fix it?

Sure would be nice?

I ran a test some time ago by adding a second (relevant) sentence in the title that used the same keyword a second time.  There was absolutely NO change in the search placement.  I think it is a myth that repeating the keywords results in higher search placement.  

Thank you,Kate. Trying to cheat the system does not wash with those of us who try hard to maintain the credibility of the the business. If we all help each other a little we will all get there.

One of the "MAJOR" problems here and elsewhere and Im Not talking about Color to B&W  Or flipping Horizontal or vertical from Horizontal, this takes talent. These folks have no clue about that..but Hundreds of nearly Identical Images. Vectors Mostly and these people should have there accounts closed. Look at there accounts and search Most popular. they don't sell either...Then , Why do it. The weed guy comes to mind instantly.... then others who are just stupid.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE. and those who do this. your time is up.This is a reviewer issue and a Head of content issue which I will be addressing soon with Paul. Head of Content next week.. I have a long List of ports. This is not my Job Damn it. it's there Job. Do they really want 90 Billion Images with 20% selling?? really.

Thank you,Kate. Trying to cheat the system does not wash with those of us who try hard to maintain the credibility of the the business. If we all help each other a little we will all get there.

Good words Michael, Thanks for being here.

SS should be punished those contributor who spam seriously.

It was not forbidden, as far as I know. There was no direct words from SS: "do not spam". In other hand SS told us many times that description do not affect search results. So, technically it was allowed. No reason to punish anyone. Now it's forbidden, time to clean up. Good.

Actually, I am more worried about if it will be forbidden for everyone, except a few autors. As with the keyword "iphon". I, probably, will be banned if I use it. But there's at least one untouchable author, who do it all the time and hold a monopoly for smartphone images. So, I hope SS will not allow some of us spam keywords above other's heads.

I quite often submit two versions of my landscape images simultaneously, one mono and one colour and this seems to be acceptable to the reviewers as they tend to both be accepted. When editing these images I treat both versions separately from the ground up (its never a case of simple desaturation). I think that under these circumstances it would be difficult for a customer to re-create one of my mono images from the colour version. Hopefully this is not considered as being spam?

When checked by the reviewers - the names and key words are written correctly. After receiving an image is edited and added to spam. I think that this is so

Yes, and there in lies the problem. The crazy spamming in titles and keywords is done after they are accepted, and because there is no review process for updating the info anyone can add anything. As far as this type of spamming is concerned it's an SS loophole failure, fix that and problem solved.

One of the "MAJOR" problems here and elsewhere and Im Not talking about Color to B&W  Or flipping Horizontal or vertical from Horizontal, this takes talent. These folks have no clue about that..but Hundreds of nearly Identical Images. Vectors Mostly and these people should have there accounts closed. Look at there accounts and search Most popular. they don't sell either...Then , Why do it. The weed guy comes to mind instantly.... then others who are just stupid.  PLAIN AND SIMPLE. and those who do this. your time is up.This is a reviewer issue and a Head of content issue which I will be addressing soon with Paul. Head of Content next week.. I have a long List of ports. This is not my Job Damn it. it's there Job. Do they really want 90 Billion Images with 20% selling?? really.

Why do you talk about it here? We all have ideas how to improve SS and who's account to close. But this topic is about Repeated Words and Phrases in Titles.

Do they really want 90 Billion Images with 20% selling?? really.

20% of 90,000,000 is 18,000,000

Whereas

20% of 50,000,000 is 10,000,000

So that is 8,000,000 more

So the answer for anyone who is in business is yes.

It is a no brainer.

20% of 90,000,000 is 18,000,000

Whereas

20% of 50,000,000 is 10,000,000

So that is 8,000,000 more

So the answer for anyone who is in business is yes.

It is a no brainer.

Metaphor Barry. Look it up. "A figure of speech"

89,121,686 royalty-free stock images / 861,299 new stock images added this week

Metaphor Barry. Look it up. "A figure of speech"

89,121,686 royalty-free stock images / 861,299 new stock images added this week

And as I thought it can not be used in the form of a question, which is how you wrote it.

noun

a figure of speech in which a term or phrase is applied to something to which it is not literally applicable in order to suggest a resemblance, as in “A mighty fortress is our God.”.

Compare mixed metaphor, simile (def 1).

something used, or regarded as being used, to represent something else; emblem; symbol.

Related forms

metaphorical

[met-uh-fawr-i-kuh l, -for-] (Show IPA), metaphoric, adjective
metaphorically, adverb
metaphoricalness, noun
hypermetaphoric, adjective
hypermetaphorical, adjective

How about giving us the ability to fix minor problems such as description, editorial byline or title when first submitting and then getting a rejection for a simple 10 second fix. Instead now we have to spend a couple hours re-uploading a clip to fix the issue. Come-on guys at SS, this is what you are talking about, let us fix our mistakes; it save a tremendous amount of time for us as well as curators. SS says that clips are saved for 7 days after rejections so let us fix things the simple professional way please.

How about giving us the ability to fix minor problems such as description, editorial byline or title when first submitting and then getting a rejection for a simple 10 second fix. Instead now we have to spend a couple hours re-uploading a clip to fix the issue. Come-on guys at SS, this is what you are talking about, let us fix our mistakes; it save a tremendous amount of time for us as well as curators. SS says that clips are saved for 7 days after rejections so let us fix things the simple professional way please.

They just did away with this on BS so I highly doubt it will ever happen.

Let's say I have a picture of a boy fishing in a pond. Here's my title and description. Please tell me if this could be considered spamming

Single young boy with fishing rod at pond

Adorable single little boy holding fishing rod while on a fishing trip at pond in the morning.

I used "fishing" twice in the description. That can be considered a problem, correct?