'Olympics' and 'Olympic Games' keywords

Olympic
əˈlɪmpɪk/
adjective
  1. relating to ancient Olympia or the Olympic Games.

I don't understand how a common word, an adjective, can be forbidden to be used as keyword…

We reached the limit of absurd!…

Take it up with the International Olympic Committee, it's their restriction.  I have images of the Olympic National Park in Washington where those words ARE acceptable. They just cannot pertain to the Olympic games.

Olympic
əˈlɪmpɪk/
adjective

1. relating to ancient Olympia or the Olympic Games.

I don't understand how a common word, an adjective, can be forbidden to be used as keyword…

We reached the limit of absurd!…

Same way that 'world' and 'cup' are perfectly acceptable keywords on their own but put them together and the image will get rejected. Irony of course is that Shutterstock breaks them into separate words anyway.

Part of me really wants to create an image of the planet Earth in a tea cup just to see if the term would be acceptable out of context...

The fact that SS will happily sell images uploaded "before the rule change" but not after, is also surely absurd - either it's ok at any given point in time to sell an image of something Olympic-related, appropriately keyworded, or it isn't?

It especially rankles with me because I happen to live right next to the London Olympic park, and get lots of photo opportunities there. In fact recently sold a nice shot of one of the new office developments on the site for a good sum on another stock site...which i wouldn't have had a hope of getting approved here. 

• 2 months later...

This goes beyond any logic and it´s just disgusting trading above any respect for culture and human History.

I´ve been following the issue and got a couple of images of the 5 rings rejected, ok there, no pbm.

But this time I´ve checked my mythology olympic gods illustration collection and "olympic" has been deleted from keywords.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic.mhtml?id=374527516

This is not about the rights of the organization to protect their mark, this is true vandalism.

About that definition above, it´s incomplete, Olympic means basically and originally "from Olympia or related to it", ancient or current. Or current people from Olympia cannot use the term now? Whay if I´m taking pictures in the olympic landscape or from an olympic traditional party or whatever?

I´m wondering what if they´d want to go further and forbid the word "river"... and figure "2016"

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, some of the words and phrases in question are trademarked by the IOC ( International Olympic Committee ) and  can't be used for commercial use.

Please check the article below for additional information regarding such submissions.

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/guide-submitting-olympic-content

All the best,

Alex

Hi everyone,

Unfortunately, some of the words and phrases in question are trademarked by the IOC ( International Olympic Committee ) and  can't be used for commercial use.

Please check the article below for additional information regarding such submissions.

http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/guide-submitting-olympic-content

All the best,

Alex

The fact is that you cannot trademark a common word.

You can do it and use it as such only when this word, in a specific case, represents a brand (e.g. Apple)

To forbid the use of a common word like "Olympic" is just an abuse (abuse of dominant position by the IOC).