David A Litman

How is your image being used?

It's fun to see how your image is being used.  It's easy to use the Google search feature.  Especially if you use Chrome.  All you have to do is open your image, right click and select "search Google for image".

I was surprised to see one of my images (the yellow lab wearing goggles) used for as ad "15 simple ideas that made millions for their inventors".  It's nice to dream...

stock-photo-a-happy-dog-pilot-yellow-lab

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/financephotos/15-simple-ideas-that-made-their-inventors-millions/ss-BBpiI1W#image=1

Or this one, advertising real estate in Creston, Ca.

stock-photo-rolling-hills-with-coastal-l

http://robertsousa.com/our-areas/creston/

Even though the shot was taken in Monterey County, lol

How are your images being used?

Interesting question. I had no idea and never tried doing this before.
But now for the first time, I found my picture are being used in travel and leisure ads.
Not so surprise. I will do searching my other images tonight, especially those images that I have no idea who did buy those images, images that I don't even think it will sell.

Here is my image
stock-photo-wellington-city-harbor-and-d

Here is the link it being used
http://travel.asiaone.com/article/destinations/first-time-to-new-zealand-read-this-guide-for-travel-tips
http://www.oversixty.co.nz/travel/travel-tips/2015/12/kiwi-destinations-in-tripadvisor-top-10/

It's fun to see how your image is being used.  It's easy to use the Google search feature.  Especially if you use Chrome.  All you have to do is open your image, right click and select "search Google for image".

I was surprised to see one of my images (the yellow lab wearing goggles) used for as ad "15 simple ideas that made millions for their inventors".  It's nice to dream...

stock-photo-a-happy-dog-pilot-yellow-lab

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/money/financephotos/15-simple-ideas-that-made-their-inventors-millions/ss-BBpiI1W#image=1

Or this one, advertising real estate in Creston, Ca.

stock-photo-rolling-hills-with-coastal-l

http://robertsousa.com/our-areas/creston/

Even though the shot was taken in Monterey County, lol

How are your images being used?

Heya,

Are you using that Google image search feature? Where you upload your photo and then search for similar ones?

If so be careful. The fine print reads that Google has rights to the images you upload (for searching) and that they can use them if they want. I never knew this either until I Googled it and then read the fine print / rules. 

Heya,

Are you using that Google image search feature? Where you upload your photo and then search for similar ones?

If so be careful. The fine print reads that Google has rights to the images you upload (for searching) and that they can use them if they want. I never knew this either until I Googled it and then read the fine print / rules. 

That's very interesting.  Does this also apply if you just enter the photo url - and not the actual photo?  I normally search by copying image address and entering - 

My best was this:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/top-gear-tv/video-stigs-been-holiday

They used my image in a video with 'The Stig' ;o)

Heya,

Where does it say that? I've always been a bit paranoid about it anyway so only reverse search thumbnails from stock sites rather than the full res image.

Found a couple of my UK/EU flag images used on Huffington Post and BBC as well as some other news sites and a union site which is kind of cool but it would have been nice if they hadn't posted it at some insanely high resolution which was way bigger than they needed for the page. Guess I can expect sales on that to dry up now...

"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/ 

Where does it say that? I've always been a bit paranoid about it anyway so only reverse search thumbnails from stock sites rather than the full res image.

Found a couple of my UK/EU flag images used on Huffington Post and BBC as well as some other news sites and a union site which is kind of cool but it would have been nice if they hadn't posted it at some insanely high resolution which was way bigger than they needed for the page. Guess I can expect sales on that to dry up now...

I like the idea of using thumbnails to do reverse search.  Besides, these still have the SS watermark on them, so I don't think Google would use them commercially.

"When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content. The rights you grant in this license are for the limited purpose of operating, promoting, and improving our Services, and to develop new ones."

https://www.google.com/intl/en/policies/terms/ 

And Facebook says the same thing and it means nothing.

I like the idea of using thumbnails to do reverse search.  Besides, these still have the SS watermark on them, so I don't think Google would use them commercially.

Well I just noticed that searching the thumbnail doesn't give all the results if you click All Sizes but it is usually enough for it to find at least a few uses of your image. When I reverse searched one of the 'similar images' which was in fact the same image without a watermark I found a lot more.

Including... my image at 6000x4000 pixels on a directory of a fairly major website which for some reason was totally unsecured and accessible. My image and about a thousand other full resolution images from stock sites which they had used on their site at some time and just left in a nice convenient list for people to download for free...

Contacted them about it so hopefully that will get fixed before anyone finds it and steals the lot of them.

I like the ones I find when out and about -

on a seed bag (both the Hummingbird and Monarch pic are mine)

seedbagXS_zps1b5a277b.jpg

On a gift card

atwoodscardXS_zpsc530346e.jpg

On a pet food brochure (found at a store)

mnYmPU9.jpg

In a photography magazine (the biggest pic)

digitalphotographyenth1xs.jpg

Back cover of Birds and Blooms magazine

birdsandbloomsbutterflyXS.jpg

...and many others.... :)

And Facebook says the same thing and it means nothing.

I agree Barry, however I'm not tempting fate. Might still search that way (search by image), but only with heavily personally watermarked images (as not to tempt fate).

I just put in my name and shutterstock. MOst of the ones used online give shutterstock and the photographer credit. I never input images into the Google search. Didn't know about the clause, but I just didn't like the idea so I guess my instincts are still decent.

I just put in my name and shutterstock. MOst of the ones used online give shutterstock and the photographer credit. I never input images into the Google search. Didn't know about the clause, but I just didn't like the idea so I guess my instincts are still decent.

Facebook says the same thing and you put your images up on FB right?

The only actual images I post on Facebook anymore are ones resized for the web and the images I post from my port, I post the URL clickable link, so it's not the actual image but a link to said image so no. I don't post my stock photos directly on Facebook either. Not since I started uploading here over 2 years ago.

Not ones I plan on selling.

I do understand what you are getting at though Barry. Most sites have these rules/terms.