Why you should diversify

So there has been a lot of complaining the last couple years of a downturn at shutterstock. And despite the fact that I still regularly upload here my sales seem to be on a steady decline. This month has been a bit more promising with the new EL payment structure but I'm really still undecided about that whole thing. Luckily while sales here have slowed my overall earning from stock has not. Because I chose to upload to several other sites when I started at Shuttertock several years ago I still see my monthly income rising every month. Other sites... in particular 1 other site... has really taken off for me and is now a real competitor for Shutterstock. 

So for those of you new around here take the time to upload to several different stock sites. They take much longer to get good payouts but if you are patient and keep uploading eventually it will start to pay off. Get a good workflow, mine is to upload here first get my keywords embedded into my photos and then uploading to the other sites just takes a few minutes. 

Shutterstock is still my best earner and despite the changes in the last few years I still get a pretty good payout from them every month. I'm curious to see if the rest of you have also noticed an upturn at other sites and if any of them are starting to challenge your income here. 

Agree. I am new to the stock industry and have been contributing here since October last year. I do get fed up with all the complaints as well, my income is doubling every month and SS are by far the best but FT is catching up real fast, which I think is the reason that SS has decided to make some major changes. Lets hope it helps everyone. I only contribute actively to the big 3 and I try to concentrate on researching what is in demand and only upload say 10 images a week. I only have a 143 images but already close to the next payment tier here at SS. I do believe  that quality and in demand equals sales. 

Review times and site problems seem to be getting worse at SS in the last 4 months. Especially footage reviews, but at FT there are no site problems and quick reviews and to be honest sales are becoming very regular. I enjoy photography more than sales but it is nice to earn enough to pay for the gear. Competition is good for any industry and the gap is closing we will have to wait and see who is the biggest in say 2 years time.

Shutterstock has been the highest earner for me for months. This month it has been the third highest. I have been uploading more content elsewhere recently so this isn't so surprising however I still have between 1000-2000 more images online here than I do elsewhere. When another site can significantly outsell SS with only a little over half the same images online it does suggest things are changing. Importantly though diversifying still earns far more than going exclusive anywhere would.

This month should be interesting for the first time ever, I have another stock not only keeping up with shutterstock so far this month, it has it beat by 1$!!!! This has never happened not even close. Shutterstock should be rising for me since I still pay my portfolio here the most attention but not only have sales been flat they even seem to be declining for me. So glad that others are picking up to make up the slack.