Enhanced License change follow up

i think the only solution is total exclusivity...I've always thought that the growth of these business can not be infinite and the only solution is create some kind of exclusivity, and maybe a better and direct interaction between photographers and clients..

So finding here the pics that you can't find anywhere could be the only solution to convince the buyers. SS could lost many contributors doing a think like these, it is an operation with a big grade of risk. i think that make these kind of decision offering good levels of earnings could convince many people to take the risk, but with low levels nobody will do it.

in other stock companies is not better...  i think just that the market is matured and the royalty free license permit to use the image forever.

it is just an opinion.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Therefore, in order to offer more price flexibility for enhanced licences, we had to create more flexibility in enhanced licence payouts"   So, in English then, SS wants to offer huge discounts to

To our contributor community: As always, we appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that in our communication of January 22nd we didn’t clearly explain our rationale for making changes to the enhan

"As you have noted here in the contributor forums, our enhanced license sales have been coming under pressures of late"   Paul, the reason for that is because you have increased the print-run to 50

I saw a 75% decline in ELs between 2014 and 2015 when the 500K print limit came into play (I expected to take a hit, since all but 4 of my ELs since 2009 are travel images, and Iarger print runs in books and magazines would be the most common use for travel image ELs). 

Today I got one for $18.75 and it has been months since I got any, so the new pricing structure hasn't helped. In fact, 2016 looks worse than 2015 so far. 

My best in one day was 3 ELs. Those were the days. 

I agree that exclusivity makes sense at some point - at least image exclusivity - and I was sorry to see the "Pass with one image out of 10" change - why not increase quality over quantity when there's already so much in the database? OTOH my bestsellers from 2011 and later are still doing reasonably well, and the handful of new images I've added this year are selling, so it's not all doom and gloom, but then I think I've also lowered my expectations given the changes in the industry the past few years. It still boggles my mind that my 326 images regularly get found in a multi-million image library. I'm no statistician, but with so many images, the difference between having a small port and a large one may not be as important as it once was, since nearly all ports are a drop in the bucket compared to the database as a whole. 

2015 was "in the media" year for me until November, them something was happened and earnings began to decrease, and from December (when shutter stock has changed the requirement from 7 to 1 out of 10 images accepted for initial submission) the earnings began to go down.I agree that these system not increase quality, but reduce the royalties that SS have to pay to contributors ;)New entries =  level one contributors  =  less royalties to pay. Competition is hard outside, but i think is not the way to solve the problem. These affect contributors that have been working with this company for years. In my case this work give me some extra, but for many people is a real job. For me don't  have any sense make 25 dollars a month. 

Anyway, I had 3 ELs (23,61$; 21,76$; 22,02$) with the new schedule,  but i have problems to sold the " subs" and "on demand"  too.  

i have a "no seasonal" portfolio, so i have had a constant volume of earnings for years, for me is very strange. So, i will continue to see if something change in the next months...

it's been 1/2 year since the intro of the new EL.

As expected, the number of ELs dropped, and the ones I got were much below the old price.

On top of that, $ took a significant nose dive this past May.  "Thanks" again, SS.  

• 2 weeks later...

I must've been lucky as since the EL change, I have sold more - not loads, but 1 or 2 a month - which is great for me.  I had a really good June - started slow, but then sold a three EL's so I'm happy.

Your port is fantastic and far more commercial than many others , including mine, so luck doesn't come into it.  I love your African shots, having spent 2 years in Zambia before I had my better camera equipment and everything I have is on 35mm slides. Congratulations on your success and long may it continue.

Your port is fantastic and far more commercial than many others , including mine, so luck doesn't come into it.  I love your African shots, having spent 2 years in Zambia before I had my better camera equipment and everything I have is on 35mm slides. Congratulations on your success and long may it continue

Thanks for the message George - .  Safari is a passion of mine and photography a hobby which is a match made in heaven.  2 years in Zambia sounds amazing - my annual break is never long enough.  Good Luck

With all due respect, If SS truly believed in "more volume" they could have lowed the purchase price and kept the royalty % the same. 

AH, but that would could mean a reduction in revenue for the company, not just the contributor, if there was not an increase in sales as a result. I don't think that outcome would suit the men in suits at all.

To our contributor community:

As always, we appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that in our communication of January 22nd we didn’t clearly explain our rationale for making changes to the enhanced license payment structure - with that in mind I would like to share more detail regarding the change.

As you have noted here in the contributor forums, our enhanced license sales have been coming under pressures of late and we have been looking at multiple ways to improve the volume of these downloads as they offer much higher priced payouts to you.

We are constantly testing new packages and payment structures for customers with the objective to increase downloads and improve your overall payouts.

Through extensive research, we discovered that the offering which led to the greatest increase in downloads involves providing more flexibility to the price of enhanced licences. No other offering came close. Therefore, in order to offer more price flexibility for enhanced licences, we had to create more flexibility in enhanced licence payouts. The most effective way to do this was to align the enhanced licence payouts with our standard Shutterstock payout terms.

We strongly believe that you will see your payouts from Shutterstock increase over the coming months.

Our success is linked to your success and we will continue to improve our marketplace to attract new and more enterprise customers as well as increase the downloads of existing customers.

I hope this offers more insight to these changes. As always we value your contributions and opinions. If you have any questions, please reach out to us through our support team.

Paul Brennan

After few months I can only say .... Bla bla bla...

To our contributor community:

As always, we appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that in our communication of January 22nd we didn’t clearly explain our rationale for making changes to the enhanced license payment structure - with that in mind I would like to share more detail regarding the change.

As you have noted here in the contributor forums, our enhanced license sales have been coming under pressures of late and we have been looking at multiple ways to improve the volume of these downloads as they offer much higher priced payouts to you.

We are constantly testing new packages and payment structures for customers with the objective to increase downloads and improve your overall payouts.

Through extensive research, we discovered that the offering which led to the greatest increase in downloads involves providing more flexibility to the price of enhanced licences. No other offering came close. Therefore, in order to offer more price flexibility for enhanced licences, we had to create more flexibility in enhanced licence payouts. The most effective way to do this was to align the enhanced licence payouts with our standard Shutterstock payout terms.

We strongly believe that you will see your payouts from Shutterstock increase over the coming months.

Our success is linked to your success and we will continue to improve our marketplace to attract new and more enterprise customers as well as increase the downloads of existing customers.

I hope this offers more insight to these changes. As always we value your contributions and opinions. If you have any questions, please reach out to us through our support team.

Paul Brennan

After few months I can only say .... Bla bla bla...

Agreed...Bla bla bla

Pffft making less then I did before...that shit didnt help at all!