Enhanced License change follow up

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Therefore, in order to offer more price flexibility for enhanced licences, we had to create more flexibility in enhanced licence payouts"   So, in English then, SS wants to offer huge discounts to

To our contributor community: As always, we appreciate your feedback and acknowledge that in our communication of January 22nd we didn’t clearly explain our rationale for making changes to the enhan

"As you have noted here in the contributor forums, our enhanced license sales have been coming under pressures of late"   Paul, the reason for that is because you have increased the print-run to 50

I used to have a few subscription downloads everyday and once in a while the OD's, SODs, and EL's,  before the announcement of changes in the Enhanced License. Is the low sale because of the changes in the Enhanced License? Just wondering...

I would probably say no they aren't specifically connected. The change deals with ELs and not regular DLs. Your reduction in sales just may be what a good number of us have been seeing over the past couple of years. It might be due just to the change in the search algorithms they have been doing during that time.

Theoretically, the amount made is supposed to be a percentage of the amount the customer payed based on you're earnings level. But they've made it fairly clear that nobody from shutterstock is going to respond in this thread. You need to email them directly if you have any questions or concerns. That is what they stated in their one and only post on this thread anyway. I don't get EL's much so it really hasn't impacted me yet.

Thank you very much Sheila, I don't know if I want to sent them an email because I suppose that the answer'll be not completely clear :(

I could be wrong, but I'm think they are counting on the fact that few people will actually email in. If people don't email directly to them, then they can say it wasn't a big issue with contributors because very few people emailed in complaints... Just a thought.

As this thread is all about there was a change in the payout structure for ELs. Sometimes you will get less than the old $28 and sometimes you will get more.

Yes and the way I understand it, SS is paying a percentage because the prices will vary. Their plan, as someone tried to explain, is potentially to offer lower price packages, so we get a percentage of that new price (kind of like everything else here except subs by the way?) and the goal is, we would get more EL DLs and make more total.

I don't know if that's going to happen, but percentage instead of fixed payment is what we will get in the future. I can't condemn a project, or change that's supposed to bring us more money, before it's had a chance to succeed.

Of course, no I don't like lower payments. I don't mind working on commissions, as we do for other licenses. Now the final part that takes some waiting is, will we make more money from more licenses. Or just less money from the same number of licenses?

I don't know until I see how it works out.

I need to wait at least six months and see if the commissions change (even though we can assume down), the number of ELs changes or the total income from ELs changes. (and which direction) This isn't something that 1) Announced change, 2) We watch for a few weeks and hate the lower payments... 3) It's decided.

If we get more ELs and make more dollars, from commissions instead of flat rate, it's a success. If we get less money from any of the other ways this could turn out. It's a failure from the artists and contributor perspective.

I thought I might add my 2c worth. The changes don't seem to be working at all as I have not received any EL's since the changes was reported to have been made :P

I'm having the opposite experience.  So far 2 this month, which is definitely an improvement on my monthly average.  I'd be happy with 2+ EL's/mo as it would still be better than the 1/mo EL avg last year.

So I decided to leave my EL's on to see what would happen and if really there would be more. There has been no increase in amount of EL's (I've had zero until today) and I'm very disappointed to say that I only got $18.65 each. So in this new model, I have lost $30 so far. 

Really not happy and I have OPTED OUT. When things improve for the people like me (contributors) who actually make your product, I may opt back in.