The light during your shooting time and the camera position are more important than any filter. Between now and spring start spending some time at the nearby river that you want to photograph. Go at different times of the day. Scout different potential camera positions. When you find the best camera positions: go back to those positions at different times of day and notice how the light is different for these camera positions in the early morning, noon and in the late afternoon. Chances are very good that you will find that the light at each camera position is better with the sun behind or to the side of your camera position either early in the morning or the late afternoon and that at noon the light is horrible. (At one camera position morning might be best while at another position evening might be best.) Now you know approximately where and what time of day to shoot. But also be aware that the sun will be rising and setting at different times and places along the horizon in early spring, late spring and now during the winter. So what looks like a good camera position and time now may not look so good in the spring. But you will have spent enough time at the nearby river to quickly find a camera position that works with the time and position of the sun. 

After you have done that watch the sky for the days with the best clouds. Those are the days you will get the best images. 

In the Nikon RAW Convertor you can change the settings as to how vivid or flat you want the image to appear. I imagine that the Canon RAW Convertor has the same type of settings. Maybe someone who shoots with a Canon will give you specifics on how to find these settings.

I don't use filters for landscapes. Check out my website http://www.mikenortonphotography.com. The Panorama Portfolio is all digital except for the the image that is third from the end. It and all the rest were photographed on 4x5 inch film then scanned.

Do not buy or use a UV filter. thats Old school and throwing away Money. old lens needed it. New Glass from 1985ish all come with UV protection. Ya wanna protect your lens?? Like the idiot salesman convinced you? Get a Optically Correct Clear glass filter. You want to enhance your Images? a UV will not do that a 81 series will. a 81a,B or c. Or simply do what pros do. shoot subjects with color in them to begin with. I have 81A filters on every Lens I own. It's called a warming Filter. POLORS are for special circumstances. DO NOT buy cheap filters. I assume You paid a lot of money for good glass and Ya put a cheap resin piece of junk on it.Makes absoultely no sense at all..   B+W,Some tiffens,Lee are good optically good quality. You wouldn't buy junk Glasses at a dime store would you. I have seen crap filters ruin More Images than anything else.

Shoot things with color,learn custom WB and exposure and shoot the Light. filters used to be a Must have back in film days. Not much anymore. My 81A and My set Of ND GRADS is all I own Now. Can't remember then Last time I used a Straight ND to Blur water.... Or a Polor to darken the sky or remove reflections in glass or water.. Those of us that shot film had  Bags of colored filters and trick filters. Glad thats over with. I prefer warm Images. Thats why I use 81A filters. 77MM is all I buy for all my glass and use step down rings for other filters, Like grads. sure...You can simulate grads in PS Plugins. But I just prefer to see it when I shoot it. My Filters cost a lot. Protect them. I love standing next to a salesman in a store and watching Him load up a customer with UV filters. Using the Old "You wanna protect your lens don't ya" BS.  You want Flat Images go for it. and use a Lens cap and buy spares. thats what there for. As Mike said who is a Purebred Landscape guy. YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND LIGHT. Thats all it is. screwing a filter on teaches you nothing.

I too used an 81b filter with film but only when the entire composition was in the shade. The 81b warmed up the blue cast that was inherent in the shade. With digital I select the White Balance for Shade and the camera eliminates the blue cast that is inherent in the shade. 

There is no magic bullet or magic filter that will change a mundane landscape picture into a masterpiece landscape image. Unfortunately just like playing a musical instrument, serving a tennis ball or learning a new language you have to work at it. But the fun part is that you are outside in nature and the fresh air while you are working at it as opposed to being cooped up in a sound proof room, sweating on a tennis court or stuck in a classroom conjugating verbs.