Enhanced License Change

I'm still waiting to see how this plays out. If their plan drives an increase in the number of EL's sold, then I might be willing to forgive a small decrease in each commission. The final number at the end of the month is what really matters for me, otherwise I would only be contributing to RM. If, on the other hand, this just ends up being a revenue generator for the company at the expense of the contributors, I think rather than doing a lot of complaining, submitters will do like they did with a couple other micro stock companies I can think of and just quietly stop contributing and start removing portfolios until a culture change comes around.

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"To help simplify the earnings schedule" $28 each was pretty simple. 

To our contributor community:   At Shutterstock, one of our most important goals is to drive our contributor’s success by continuously delivering new earnings opportunities to you, our partners. Our

You'd do much better to be straight about this. It's a paycut on contributor earnings for extended licenses. We can do the math.   I'm not too hard hit - moving down to $20.58 on the 25 pack (worse

At Shutterstock, one of our most important goals is to drive our contributor’s success by continuously delivering new earnings opportunities to you, our partners. 

Paul Brennan
Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

Paul, do you really think, that 16$ instead 28$ are the new earnings opportunities (level >10.000$)?!!

It's robbery! (((

Thanks to this new "earning opportunity," I received $16.26 instead of $28 this morning for an EL payment. That's a 42% cut in pay... and I'm in the 2nd highest tier. I can't wait until I reach the highest tier, when I'll get paid a whopping $17.42 which represents a mere 38% cut in pay. Thanks Paul... It's nice to know exactly how much you value your "partners", without whom your company could not exist.

Can Shutterstock tell us what the highest EL earning any contributor got since these changes were made. At the least Shutterstock  (Paul Shutterstock) calm down the insecure contributors or is there no consolation.

An average price would indicate the reality of the change.  If it's consolation you want "Over the past year, we have been testing ways to better communicate the value of this premium license to our customers." is all we know as yet.  Of course Shutterstock will be along to enlighten us all just as soon as they have finished calculated how much it is saving them, they have priorities you know..

I find this extremely disappointing as well! Especially the lack of followup in this discussion from SS.  I'm thankful for the occasional SOD and just hope they don't "offer" us a pay-cut in those as well.  Of course, I suppose since that payment schedule isn't exactly transparent, we really wouldn't know if they reduced our compensation ,...would we? 

I did receive an El today and mine came in at $22.50.  There is such a variety of prices being reported that it would at least be helpful to know the official response of how the payout is determined.

I find this extremely disappointing as well! Especially the lack of followup in this discussion from SS.  I'm thankful for the occasional SOD and just hope they don't "offer" us a pay-cut in those as well.  Of course, I suppose since that payment schedule isn't exactly transparent, we really wouldn't know if they reduced our compensation ,...would we? 

I did receive an El today and mine came in at $22.50.  There is such a variety of prices being reported that it would at least be helpful to know the official response of how the payout is determined.

The payout is determined by your percentage rate and it is that percentage of the price the buyer pays, which is determined by how many they buy that gives you your cut.  Not quite sure if we get screwed on the currency exchange, but can't see Shutterstock letting that one go.

"...We have determined that a fixed rate payment for enhanced licences limits our ability to continually drive more downloads..."

I still cannot understand how a fixed rate payment for EL limits SS's ability to drive more downloads. After all, the only thing that has changed is our payout;  as far as the buyer is concerned, nothing's changed (are you passing on these "savings" at our expense to your customers?).

On the contrary, if you don't treat your contributors well, they will lose the motivation or incentive to upload more content. Then you'd really have a problem trying to "drive more downloads."

EL Earnings should be according to this table...If it is not then I would like to know why???

gallery_1373305_123_15201.jpg

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if a buyer buys the EL 2 package for $199 then why does the contributor at 30% only get $29.85? 

30% of $199 is $59.70? not $29.85?

We don't get a two EL sale we get a single EL sale yet the buyer gets two EL's?

And they get a big bargain with 25 for $1699 cause the contributor only gets single image EL sale and yet the buyer is getting 25 EL's?

30% of $1699 is $509.70?

Divide by the number of images in the pack i.e. $199 / 2 = $99.50 * 30% = $29.85

Yeah I got that.

$99.50 for one is $29.85 at 30% but the buyer is getting 2 not one so he is buying two images at $99.50 each aka $199 so we should get two sales of $29.85 not one?

Otherwise it is actually 15% of the sale price because the sale price is $199

It's Progressive taxation in reverse! Anyway, will we EVER get an email saying that we are going to get more per download just because we have done a great job producing awesome images?? At my real job that's exactly what happens. It's called a raise. I have NEVER received an email from my place of employment saying that they have changed the way they price their product to the consumer, so therefore I am going to have a paycut.

Exactly this.. I think all the agencies pay very very bad and SS pay's even worst than the others, even before this new crap. 

I sold just over 60 photographs this month, for a lousy $18 ... How many photograph's should i sell until it becomes a little bit interesting to really start to put more houres in it? I have just about 85 images in my port so i sell quite good for the size of my album.. Sure i'll keep uploading, but this is getting worse and worse. I'm not putting more hours in it for two or three more freakin dollars. Come on SS, make it interesting for us to put more hours in it! 

The only thing that doesn't make sense is that if a buyer buys the EL 2 package for $199 then why does the contributor at 30% only get $29.85?

30% of $199 is $59.70? not $29.85?

We don't get a two EL sale we get a single EL sale yet the buyer gets two EL's?

And they get a big bargain with 25 for $1699 cause the contributor only gets single image EL sale and yet the buyer is getting 25 EL's?

30% of $1699 is $509.70?

Have another cup of coffee and think about it. I am sure it will eventually come to you ;):P

Yeah I got that.

$99.50 for one is $29.85 at 30% but the buyer is getting 2 not one so he is buying two images at $99.50 each aka $199 so we should get two sales of $29.85 not one?

Otherwise it is actually 15% of the sale price because the sale price is $199

Barry, we would only get the EL sale for the image of ours that they customer purchased. They can get images from multiple ports. But the math doesn't seem to work out in regards to the percentages anyway. I haven't had an EL since the change in payout so I can't compare yet myself