Enhanced License Change

We have an idea that price of EL aslo depends of country of customer (prices in dollars, euros, pounds etc.) are different. But we can't really check it for all countries. Something like this:

0_b50aa_ba62e128_orig.jpg   0_b50ab_1ed1c68a_orig.jpg

The cheapest EL (0,6$) went to India. Does anybody knows the prices for ELs there?

About this graph.... Makes sense to work for the US market, India's market cheaper?

• Replies 360
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"To help simplify the earnings schedule" $28 each was pretty simple. 

To our contributor community:   At Shutterstock, one of our most important goals is to drive our contributor’s success by continuously delivering new earnings opportunities to you, our partners. Our

You'd do much better to be straight about this. It's a paycut on contributor earnings for extended licenses. We can do the math.   I'm not too hard hit - moving down to $20.58 on the 25 pack (worse

Thank you jsnover for your persistence and voice in this matter. Please keep it up. If more of us gave you support, and a few more glaringly silent bigshots stepped up for once, this might actually get somewhere. 

Where are you "top contributors", anyways? You guys sure have a lot to say when it comes to stroking your own egos and pointing out how smart and flawless you are. How about making good on letting the industry get to this shamefully one-sided point under your watch, and take a stand that will ultimately benefit you as well as grant you legitimacy to the respect you like to demand?

PM,ed you.

I wonder if the 38 cents I earnt today was for a extended licence in Cambodia for a half million print run. I can't wait until the third world really picks ups and grows, I will really cash in. I am not bothered by the greenhouse implications of third world growth tho, when making 38 cents I am going to build my own island in Dubai and live like a king. 

Actually what I will do is start my own stock agency in Cambodia buying the top selling files at 25 cents and I will resell them for 2 cents each or I could just give them away as a bulk wallpaper pack in a phone ap and just cash in on the phone revenue.

What I would really like Shutterstock to do as a solution to this continual price competition driving prices down, is offer contributors exclusivity at higher tiers and a rate of payment fixed over a period locked in the user agreement. This industry where contributors undercut themselves on competing sites is folly.

Shutterstock has an opportunity with video stock to secure the above type of arrangement before the market becomes as saturated as with picture files. 

nuvolanevicata

Posted Today, 03:09 PM

Good morning, in two years I sold only one image at 28 and today I sold one to 15, I think that with these figures will sell more, I think it is a

wrong choice, at least in my case!

My apologies I thought you were some kind of troll.  I like your work.

:-)))) Oh sorry! I read only now your post..I'm sure I'm not a troll..but perhaps I can be an elf :-)))  Thanks for the appreciation, sorry also because this world of microstock is unknown to me, etradurre English is a long! This is why I never read the forums, and I fear that these policies are accepted and enough .. lament does not solve problems ..and solidarity among authors is a miracle!

Realty check -

There is over 74 million images on SS and between 700-800 thousand added every week.

If you total all those opting out of EL's and threw all their images into a common pool, the total collective number will be but a drop in the ocean.

Even if there were 20,000,000 collective images opted out of EL's there would still be over 50million still available in the pool with a quarter of a million new images added every week.

But if it makes you feel better, then all the power to you...

Two things....

(1) Every movement starts with one person deciding they have had enough. Not comparing our issues to theirs in terms of severity...but from Mother Jones in the coal fields or silk mills to Rosa Parks in Birmingham to Mohamed Bouazizi in Tunisia and the Arab Spring movement...change starts with one....always. Again, their causes were life and death, human rights and against governments corruption. We are calling for common decency in an organization that trots out words like "partner" and fails to understand the meaning of the word at a basic level. 

(2) Even if it does not lead to change on a large scale at SS, eventually an individual just has enough. I, and think others, am at that point. Enough...enough double talk, enough disrespect to my work and common sense. I (and others have as well) have taken a relatively small step to remove my portfolio from the EL pool. Yes that is only 15K images in a pool of millions. BUT, I had enough personally....this was a message that is clearly tied to the last BS double speak e-mail/messaging. I am actively exploring moving all 15K+ images I have to other streams. Maybe it will make no difference, but maybe a corporate entity will come here looking for that shot of a NCAA football player that I would have provided and it will only be available on a competitor. My action will then have a consequence to SS. 

Do what you think is right for you. Some, sadly, are tied to revenue here for a living. I feel for them. But if you are financially able, opt out of ELs. Don't let this flicker away into the ethos like other SS slights have...

What I would really like Shutterstock to do as a solution to this continual price competition driving prices down, is offer contributors exclusivity at higher tiers and a rate of payment fixed over a period locked in the user agreement. This industry where contributors undercut themselves on competing sites is folly.

Shutterstock has an opportunity with video stock to secure the above type of arrangement before the market becomes as saturated as with picture files. 

There was a time I'd have bitten your hand off for this option but after the last email i've done the opposite and actually uploaded my portfolio to a site I'd left ages ago (with possibly more to follow) and am now actively looking at getting into the RM market more than I am already. I'm so sickened by the absolute BS #shutterstock has thrown at us after this latest change EVERY option open to me is now a viable one. They've just put the noose around their own neck. I'm just waiting for them to jump or be pushed from the gallows now!

Sad sad day!

:(

Two things....

(1) Every movement starts with one person deciding they have had enough. Not comparing our issues to theirs in terms of severity...but from Mother Jones in the coal fields or silk mills to Rosa Parks in Birmingham to Mohamed Bouazizi in Tunisia and the Arab Spring movement...change starts with one....always. Again, their causes were life and death, human rights and against governments corruption. We are calling for common decency in an organization that trots out words like "partner" and fails to understand the meaning of the word at a basic level. 

(2) Even if it does not lead to change on a large scale at SS, eventually an individual just has enough. I, and think others, am at that point. Enough...enough double talk, enough disrespect to my work and common sense. I (and others have as well) have taken a relatively small step to remove my portfolio from the EL pool. Yes that is only 15K images in a pool of millions. BUT, I had enough personally....this was a message that is clearly tied to the last BS double speak e-mail/messaging. I am actively exploring moving all 15K+ images I have to other streams. Maybe it will make no difference, but maybe a corporate entity will come here looking for that shot of a NCAA football player that I would have provided and it will only be available on a competitor. My action will then have a consequence to SS. 

Do what you think is right for you. Some, sadly, are tied to revenue here for a living. I feel for them. But if you are financially able, opt out of ELs. Don't let this flicker away into the ethos like other SS slights have...

Brilliant!!!!!! wish I could write like this.

Two things....

Well said!

This comment is directed to Paul Brennan.  I have no doubt that you are following this forum thread. Whether you have the courtesy to answer my direct query or not will remain to be seen, but you were the initial introduction to this and I would like to have clarification from you.  

Like others I received your email notification.  Unfortunately, I am baffled by the contents and although you claim to have my best interests at heart, I fail to comprehend this move.  Could you please explain this quote. "We have determined that a fixed rate payment for enhanced licences limits our ability to continually drive more downloads." What changes have or will be implemented to the customers that will correspond to the change in contributor payout? How does changing the payment to the contributor allow you to drive more sales?

I was willing to wait for more information until making any decision with how to react to this, unfortunately the promise of a response is long since overdue.   I could have lived with an explanation that SS needed to become more competitive in the market, I get that competition is heavy.  The attitude that we are not owed an explanation or any insight into this is what has changed my loyalty, and I suspect that will benefit me financially.

I'm no big fish in this pool, but up until this time I have been for the most part exclusive with Shutterstock, although I have a few token images at a number of other top and middle tier agencies.  I somehow felt that this was the right fit for me and focused here.  Recent events here have caused me to change my mind, and my focus will now be uploading the current images in my portfolio here to the other 7 agencies I am currently registered with.  I will continue to upload to Shutterstock as well but all images will now be available elsewhere. 

At this time I am not prepared to opt out of ELs, if I did I would not be able to determine whether the move was possibly beneficial to my account by SS "driving" more ELs, and I was willing to entertain that notion.  I did however, want to express my discontent at the way this whole situation is being handled.  Had Shutterstock taken the time to explain their strategy with these changes, or even just respond that they were not willing or easily able to do so, I very likely would not have felt the need to spread my work to other agencies.  This will, however give me more options should I decide to remove my work at a later date without having wasted countless hours preparing and key wording images for stock.

"We are your partners and our job is to work tirelessly to serve you and grow our marketplace together"....  Can you get started on that, please.  The email you sent came across as extremely condescending (in particular this comment) and vague.  The bottom line is that SS is fueled by it's contributors and it isn't wise to bite the hand that feeds you.  Treat us with respect and that will foster respect for the agency.  Something seems to have changed here and in turn my respect for SS is changing. 

Well said Kelly!

Are you reading this Mr Brennan?

The announcement never said that it would be a reduced commission.  Isn't it possible that some contributors get slightly less than the current $28, and that some contributors get slightly more than the current $28 ?  

When I first read the announcement (in my email) my first thought was "good - I'm at the highest tier - it will be nice to get more than $28 every time I sell an enhanced download".

Why do you appear to assume the worst

I think some people have already gotten EL's and seen a significant reduction in how much they get. For instance I am on the top tier and my last EL was significantly less than $28. Sure there may be a few where I make more than $28 but it will take at least 2 at the highest level to make up what I lost on the last one. I'm guessing I will most likely get the lower earning versions of the EL's so unless somehow this is a new system for the buyers and Shutterstock is offering them some sort of incentive to buy more EL's then we are the losers. 

I haven't heard anything about there being any new incentive for buyers to purchase more EL's has anyone else? 

I guess I am glad at this point that I have been uploading to other sites. My shutterstock stats have been on a steady decline the last 2 years. Luckily my other sites have been on a steady incline, one site in particular has almost caught up to Shutterstock. I plan on focusing much more of my attention there. In fact I had a whole batch of rejected images from Shutterstock that were approved on another site and one image from that batch has already sold nearly 50 times in the last couple weeks on that site. All of my new images seem to do much better there. Here most of my new images never even see the light of day. I rarely have anything new sale here. 

17 pages of dialogue and not a single response from anyone at SS... very poor indeed..

I never cared much for EL's on stills as I think $28 was a slap in the face to be honest compared to the usage that the buyer gets... and now SS have added a wet fish to the slap with pay cuts and expect contributors to carry on being slapped with said fish with every EL sale now..

My only question, if I opt out of EL's does that include possible video enhanced use also?!? If not, then I'll happily opt out of EL's.. Any ideas anyone?? Video is where it's at for me but don't want to hurt earnings for footage if EL option includes the footage side also... 

Over a week awaiting concrete news from SS and nothing has cropped up.. sad times..

17 pages of dialogue and not a single response from anyone at SS... very poor indeed..

I never cared much for EL's on stills as I think $28 was a slap in the face to be honest compared to the usage that the buyer gets... and now SS have added a wet fish to the slap with pay cuts and expect contributors to carry on being slapped with said fish with every EL sale now..

My only question, if I opt out of EL's does that include possible video enhanced use also?!? If not, then I'll happily opt out of EL's.. Any ideas anyone?? Video is where it's at for me but don't want to hurt earnings for footage if EL option includes the footage side also... 

Over a week awaiting concrete news from SS and nothing has cropped up.. sad times..

Great colorful description and you've discovered a niche too. I searched "Slap with wet fish" and it returns just one image of a fish hitting the water. "Slap face wet fish" returns nothing.

Great colorful description and you've discovered a niche too. I searched "Slap with wet fish" and it returns just one image of a fish hitting the water. "Slap face wet fish" returns nothing.

LOL.. you shoot the stills and i'll do the slow mo footage..

Footage title: "Dejected worker slapped in face with a wet fish, in slow motion" Keywords: taken for a ride, contributor, worker, shafted, paycut, so-called-partners, gills, slapped, face, fish, unheard, ignored...so on and so on 

A paycut is never a joy to receive in any field but i'm more peeved at hearing nothing back, no follow up.. NOTHING...

:(

Just got my first EL at a price of $24.67, meaning I've just lost $3.33.

$3.33 will look good if they discount heavily and it comes from the wrong currency and it come from a larger pack.  There is a new updated thread here  http://forums.submit.shutterstock.com/topic/87757-enhanced-license-change-follow-up/#entry1528709

I just got my first enhanced download since the change.  

My commission was $26.94.  

$1.06 less than before.  

So, would I be correct in expecting the next Enhanced Download sale to net me more than $29.06? I sure hope so!  I do not want "flexibility" to actually result in a net decrease, but rather a net increase, just like "Paul Shutterstock" promised to us.

Guys would someone from management... Possibly CEO of shutterstock and Board of directors read my words?

Here is the message:

YOU ARE SINKING THIS BUSINESS!

Evidence: All companies with managers who tried to cut from contributors are now dying! Look at Dreamstime (hard and slow dying), Fotolia (purchased from ADOBE), istockphoto (purchashed from Getty Images), Corbis and Veer (purchased from Chinese who are Getty patrners)... I can tell you that managers made great mistakes. This is not manageable business model. Company CAN NOT control assets! Authors have control. When they are unhappy company is doomed to die!

As I know - Shutterstock is now loosing money due to OPTED OUT authors - I just hope that all will be reflected to share prices so this "clever" management team can see how "simple" is it with opted out EL sales.

I just hope that Shutterstock shares boost won't be as in given examples (as it is now with cutting from contributors share) which is pure tanking from contributor side to shutterstock income. This is not good management and this is just false registration of income. In fact there is no higher earnings. It is just higher earnings due to lower expenses by accountant books. Earnings where shutterstock is lowering expenses to benefit its own side of earnings. It is just smoke which can't last forever.

Real MANAGER should know given facts. Real MANAGER should know that he must boost his client base. Real MANAGER should know how to EARN money.

No... Dear Management you really are not as high as this company need!

Being bought isn't dying, it's an owner's wet dream. Citing those examples is not an argument.