Paul Shutterstock

Enhanced License Change

To our contributor community:

At Shutterstock, one of our most important goals is to drive our contributor’s success by continuously delivering new earnings opportunities to you, our partners. Our enhanced license provides a great opportunity to license your content at a higher price point. Over the past year, we have been testing ways to better communicate the value of this premium license to our customers.

We have determined that a fixed rate payment for enhanced licences limits our ability to continually drive more downloads. Therefore, effective January 25th 2016 the enhanced license payout will move from a fixed rate of $28 to a tiered percentage model, similar to our custom image license. To help simplify the earnings schedule, your enhanced license payout will now be determined by your earnings tier.

We are your partners and our job is to work tirelessly to serve you and grow our marketplace together.

Paul Brennan
Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

Where can we see the new earnings schedule?

Where can we see the new earnings schedule?

your enhanced license payout will now be determined by your earnings tier.

Same as OD  and SOD's are it will now be according to what level you are at.

"We are your partners and our job is to work tirelessly to serve you and grow our marketplace together."

Will you come back with a graph of current sales at current royalty vs. new sales at the new royalty so we can see proof/results of the hypothesis? 

So it is:

30% out of $199/2 = $29.85 for the 2 EL pack

30% out of $449/5 = $26.94 for the 5 EL pack

30% out of $1,699/25 = $20.38 for the 25 EL pack 

30% would be for top tier. others would get 20, 25 and 28%, depending on tier. right?

so, basically, everyone will get less money, except top tier and only if buyers have the 2EL pack. 

So it is:

30% out of $199/2 = $29.85 for the 2 EL pack

30% out of $449/5 = $26.94 for the 5 EL pack

30% out of $1,699/25 = $20.38 for the 25 EL pack 

And what is the distribution between different kind of pack purchases?

Looks like Shutterstock taking out almost $7.62 from each EL sale.

Dear Shutterstock. As a lawyer I have 15 years experience in reading incomprehensible texts. But here - being partners - I suggest you simply state what this *means*. Like giving a table or something like that.

"To help simplify the earnings schedule, your enhanced license payout will now be determined by your earnings tier." is not very helpful.

Great. Exactly what I (we? some of us? the losers? lousy suckers like me?) need - less earnings because we earn less in the first place.

Sigh. This went from a great and fun experience to quite drab very, very quickly. Actually, it did so within 4 weeks.

C.

Dear Shutterstock. As a lawyer I have 15 years experience in reading incomprehensible texts. But here - being partners - I suggest you simply state what this *means*. Like giving a table or something like that.

"To help simplify the earnings schedule, your enhanced license payout will now be determined by your earnings tier." is not very helpful.

As a non native english speaker I had to read it 3 times and then find out here that my suspection of the message in the mail was true.  :(

Widening the terms of licensing images to require EL. i.e. 500k run instead of 250k, pretty much killed off future sales growth of the EL, and was effectivly a pay cut for controbuters.

Now another paycut basically to everyone who is not in the top tier earnings

The RM market is starting to,have more appeal...

I just had to log in after years of being inactive and received the email notification about the EL change. I quit years ago after they gouged the referral system and stopped paying royalties on your referral's earnings, even though the referral agreement originally stated "Referral payouts for life". What they did was a complete breach of the agreement. Not to mention the number of paycuts over the years.

Shutterstock is literally the worst agency I've ever dealt with in my life. I feel sorry for anybody who still has an active portfolio here.

It's more of the 'ole smoke and mirrors "you'll make it up in volume" nonsense.  Sad, really.  Paul, you really should just be honest with people.

^^^This.

I'm not too hard hit - moving down to $20.58 on the 25 pack (worse if there are custom volume deals not published) - but the beginners are making $19.90, $17.98 or $13.59 (2, 5 or 25 pack) versus $28.

+1

This is really ridiculous. I know I'm with agencies that do the same. But SS stood out by doing what should be just normal and logical: A customer wants to make 250,000 copies of an image of his liking. What does it matter who shot this image, how much they've sold, how long they're with the agency? It's simply a frakking great image that someone wants to reproduce hundreds of thousands of times. But a beginner gets half of what an old dog gets. Unbearable!

C.

Haha, this email couldn't have come at a better time. After taking a huge, long hiatus from SS, I was just recently considering coming back. This announcement just saved me from wasting precious hours of my time fully recommitting to the site.

We are your partners and our job is to work tirelessly to serve you and grow our marketplace together.

Paul Brennan
Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

Could it be possible that you forgot some smileys  evil.gif  evil.gif  evil.gif ?

+1

This is really ridiculous. I know I'm with agencies that do the same. But SS stood out by doing what should be just normal and logical: A customer wants to make 250,000 copies of an image of his liking. What does it matter who shot this image, how much they've sold, how long they're with the agency? It's simply a frakking great image that someone wants to reproduce hundreds of thousands of times. But a beginner gets half of what an old dog gets. Unbearable!

C.

It's Progressive taxation in reverse! Anyway, will we EVER get an email saying that we are going to get more per download just because we have done a great job producing awesome images?? At my real job that's exactly what happens. It's called a raise. I have NEVER received an email from my place of employment saying that they have changed the way they price their product to the consumer, so therefore I am going to have a paycut.

first we have the "watermark gate"....then we had the 10 pictures approval..now this.... not really good signs....For me, there are more files offer, than real download here...so that's why those changes...

So I take it SS weren't going to make the Profit Targets set by shareholders and stock markets again so they thought they'd stitch us up for a change! 

SS's major competitor improves contributor income, while SS makes it worse. One day you really will need us you know!