Ongoing Forum Improvements

In our ongoing commitment to improve your user experience, we are going to be reducing the number of contributor forums to five.  The five new forums will be Announcements, Technical Issues, Contributor Experience, Hardware & Gear and Archive. Each of the current forums will be mapped into one of these 5.  

We will also be sunsetting the ShutterChat category and moving the associated forums into Contributor Experience.

These changes will occur over the next day or two and we do not expect any interruption to your user experience.

Thanks,
Your Shutterstock Support Team

In our ongoing commitment to improve your user experience, we are going to be reducing the number of contributor forums to five.  The five new forums will be Announcements, Technical Issues, Contributor Experience, Hardware & Gear and Archive. Each of the current forums will be mapped into one of these 5.  

We will also be sunsetting the ShutterChat category and moving the associated forums into Contributor Experience.

These changes will occur over the next day or two and we do not expect any interruption to your user experience.

Thanks,
Your Shutterstock Support Team

What do you mean by We will also be sunsetting the ShutterChat category?

Hi everyone,

We had some some access issues after we completed the transfer of the threads, but the issue has been solved and all threads should be accessible again.

We're sorry for the inconvenience

Sure hope so!

Been sending emails and reports everywhere with no response from anyone till now.

Thanks now on to see what happens now

Just got this back after sending a tech/bug issues using resources/contact us.

This is the mail system at host smtp.shutterstock.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not

be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can

delete your own text from the attached returned message.

How is this an improvement? When I wanted to find the food thread or others in the Shutterchat section, I could go right to it. I don't have hours to spend searching one big section that everything has been lumped into. Guess this is it for my participation. Nice knowing everybody while it lasted. :(

I'm not sure 'improvements' is the right term for this change. Grouping everything together under 'Contributor Experience' is just a mess. Any new topic requesting help someone previously would have posted in New Contributor or in a specific forum like Illustration or Footage is now just going to get immediately buried under the heaving mass of all the old ongoing and off topic Shutterchat threads that see non stop replies.

Since the 1/10 acceptance change there has been a very notable increase in the number of new contributors asking questions and most got the answers they needed. Now their posts are going to drop to the bottom of the page almost instantly and go largely unnoticed. It seems strange to make it easier for new contributors to join but harder to get the help they need to actually contribute.

I understand the reason for the changes since there were previously way too many categories and many of which were just dead but I think this change is just going too far. At the very least you need an off topic forum (Shutterchat), one for new contributors and then one for each different type of content (illustration, photo and footage). That last point is especially important now that SS is going to accept audio files, which require a totally different skillset and therefore will invoke entirely different conversations... conversations which most of us probably have no interest in and can't really contribute to in a meaningful way.

But this is what everyone wanted.

Go back to the old threads where everyone was complaining about wanting the forums changed to be like this.

SS changed it to what we just had and everyone complained they wanted the old forums back and then later they just said to condense it down like it is now so now SS does just that and everyone is complaining about getting what they all asked for?

I must be missing something?

I don't really think it is all that we wanted. I do think that there were too many categories and that it needed to be trimmed but this to me is too much. Its like going to get your hair done and asking for a bit off the top and ending up getting your head shaved.

The one thing that I don't get is that they say it is to improve our user experience. Maybe it would have been a good idea to start a thread and at least ask us specifically how it could be better seeing we are the ones using it. Granted it would cause a lot of comments but I think they could glean the main ones that we think most about. If it is about the "user experience" then I think they need to know what the users want.

There are distinct categories that people had questions on. For example there is a great difference between questions for photography and Illustrations and Footage. Not it seems like those had been cut out completely and we now have to search for where to go and where to put things. I think they cut too many things. We need basic categories that allow easy navigation. Put them as sub categories under the Contributor Experience.

Actually I like it! I only need to go to one place to pick up what I like to see, like old place "Anything goes", but add more stuff usually I don't voluntarily like to see...

Not quite the same because the old Anything Goes didn't have Illustrators and Videographers they had their own thread to go to unlike now where they are all grouped together as  one.

And now we are going to have music incorporated into it as well for those who can get into the music part of SS.

I think it is better, because Illustrators and Videographers should not be treated differently...

I don't think that illustrators and videographers having their own thread means being treated differently, on the contrary, they should be treated equally with photographers. They should have their own threads grouped without being pushed down by the always on top "show your latest upload/ download" and other bragging threads containing no useful info or added value for anyone.

A good fix would be to break it down with

• photogs
  • illustrators
  • video
  • Music

Otherwise you may have to search through three pages or more to find what you are looking for.

There are still other ways to find what you need though.

When the original forum was changed there were FAR too many categories, not really useful.

​NOW the forum is basically not functional. For submitters who only do photos or footage it's all but impossible to find what they are interested in. Totally agree that four main categories need to show; photo, video, illustration, music.

So if a person only submits video where do we go to discuss video?

Great to condense but not like it is now.

I don't think that illustrators and videographers having their own thread means being treated differently, on the contrary, they should be treated equally with photographers. They should have their own threads grouped without being pushed down by the always on top "show your latest upload/ download" and other bragging threads containing no useful info or added value for anyone.

Not sure if you are an illustrator or a videographer or not, and had you checked their old threads or not? I only checked once or twice: their threads were very inactive...

The reason why threads are pushed down is that not so many people to participate or be interested. When Illustrators' and videographers' threads are combined with photographers', their threads might attract more people to be involved, so threads might be more active...

It is just my opinion...

When the original forum was changed there were FAR too many categories, not really useful.

​NOW the forum is basically not functional. For submitters who only do photos or footage it's all but impossible to find what they are interested in. Totally agree that four main categories need to show; photo, video, illustration, music.

Great to condense but not like it is now.

Contributor Experice

If we're still making suggestions for improvements/changes, is there a reason why we have to scroll all the way back to the top of each thread to go back to the main menu? Isn't it possible to have that at the bottom of the page too, like the page 1, 2, 3, etc are at the top and the bottom of each thread, but the topic choices are only at the top of the thread.

Lazy I know but it would be so much more convenient not to have to scroll back to the top to go back to the main menus.