Opinions on best smartphone camera?

Being a mobile phone has nothing to do with why you couldn't call anyone it was because they were not approved by the FCC and and there were no satellites to handle the calls as well as other reasons.

US tech was still behind the times same as it is today.

No. Bell administered car phones and there was nothing illegal about it

It was because they worked on radio frequencies which were very limited in supply. 

I remember those phones Laurin. I knew some people who had one in their fancy schmancy German cars. I mean automobiles

No. Bell administered car phones and there was nothing illegal about it

It was because they worked on radio frequencies which were very limited in supply. 

I remember those phones Laurin. I knew some people who had one in their fancy schmancy German cars. I mean automobiles

And those were not really phones so much as they were a hyped up friggin walkie talkie.

The advances in mobile telephony have been traced in successive "generations", starting with the early "0G" (zeroth generation) services, such as Bell System's Mobile Telephone Service and its successor, the Improved Mobile Telephone Service. These "0G" systems were not cellular, supported few simultaneous calls, and were very expensive.

We are talking and were and started talking Cell Phones not Mobile they are two different things.

And notice it says expensive which is what they were and why limited few had them except for those who wanted to be better than the Jones's and wanted to have themselves a status symbol that others did not have because they could not afford them whereas someone they wanted to be better than could not afford them.

And those were not really phones so much as they were a hyped up friggin walkie talkie.

We are talking and were and started talking Cell Phones not Mobile they are two different things.

And notice it says expensive which is what they were and why limited few had them except for those who wanted to be better than the Jones's and wanted to have themselves a status symbol that others did not have because they could not afford them whereas someone they wanted to be better than could not afford them.

You are right, but those were the nineteen seventies phones Laurin was talking about. I also knew plenty of people who had the Motorola brick in the early eighties

on a side note and since we talk a little history here

Modern smart phones is a development out of the PDA's like the HP Jordana. With smartphones, the applications were there first, including plug-in cameras (attached to a CF card kindda thing) , which I still have btw and paid a small fortune for. The phone part was just another application that came later

51669MZGP3L.jpg

You are right, but those were the nineteen seventies phones Laurin was talking about. I also knew plenty of people who had the Motorola brick in the early eighties

on a site note and since we talk a little history here

Modern smart phones is a development out of the PDA's like the HP Jordana. With smartphones, the applications were there first, including plug-in cameras (attached to a CF card) , which I still have btw and paid a small fortune for. The phone part was just another application that came later

The more sophisticated people were the HAM radio operators.

Chit in the seventies I had a Radio shack handheld walkie talkie that you bought the crystals  of the channels you wanted.

I had mine set up to an outdoor antenna I ran from inside to the outside and then into a tree some thirty or more feet up.

During SKIP I from here in Va could talk to and did talk to people from California, Florida, NY, London, Germany and more.

I have a pair of more up to date Motorola handheld walkies that are 40 channel and then there is the Marine radio with all the frequencies capable of being both received and broadcast from, but it is against the law to broadcast on the fire, police, ambulance frequencies and more with one exception being that at times such as natural disasters and certain others it can be used for communication with those ones that we are not to broadcast to.

When digital goes down I will have plenty of analog as my backup.

I used one of those cell phone "bricks" working homecare. It was assigned to the nurse who went into the rural areas of less then nice neighborhoods. Then my husband made me use a "real" cell phone due to some bad cases in very bad areas. Of course, most people didn't really mess with us because they want the medical people to come in and take care of their own. But going into the casa blanca area of Riverside at night was not the best choice. We always tried to be sure the home visits were during daylight hours, preferably prior to noon. Those seemed to be the safest hours of operations.

This is not the reason why antennas are "tilted". You are right about interference, but no operator has aircraft interference in mind, when they tilt antennas.

The real reason is the need to limit interference on the ground, interference caused by overshooting.

There is limitted pool of frequencies or codes available to an operator. By limiting the propagation through tilting, the same frequency or codes can be re-used on a different tower, without interfering each other.

OOp's sorry Marie for continuing the side tracking, I think that you will be happy with whatever phone you get today,  ;-)

Mihai, That may well have been the case in your country, but in the US they used Horn (very narrow dispersion) antennas that did not propagate upwards, since the FCC did not want people to be able to use their cell phones while in flight, because the FAA was concerned about the radio frequencies interfering with flight controls and aviation communication.

There has been no proof that the use of a cell phone actually does interfere with any avionics in aircraft, any more than the use of any other electronic device. However, since many electronic devices have a local oscillator (cell phones included) which would increase the amount of electrical noise (static) generated locally inside the aircraft, the fear being that it could be enough for a pilot to miss a command from the ATC, since these electronic devices are not shielded well, and neither are the aircraft for that level of noise generation . So that is why the regulatory bodies in the US took the precautions that they do in limiting the use of electronic devices on aircraft and the type of antennas used on microwave towers or cell phone towers.

Ok, to wrap this up. I broke down and My pardner Dave will go nuts. I went out today and bought 2 Iphone 6s. One for me and one for my wife. Bought the stupid 80 Dollar waterproof cases and the largest Storage. What the hell. My wife keeps saying we got nothing But Money. so I spent around a 1000 Dollars. my son was here . We did a test and confirmed what I've been saying. He has the Newist Galaxy Note. We both shot the same thing in my studio in perfect light with tripod and compared on my Computer. The Galaxy was miles ahead in rez and quality. I didn't buy mine as a camera. Nor will my wife care.

Thats my report. I still have no idea why I bought it. she needs it. I don't. This thread made me do it......LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remind me again why I need this.

Ok, to wrap this up. I broke down and My pardner Dave will go nuts. I went out today and bought 2 Iphone 6s. One for me and one for my wife. Bought the stupid 80 Dollar waterproof cases and the largest Storage. What the hell. My wife keeps saying we got nothing But Money. so I spent around a 1000 Dollars. my son was here . We did a test and confirmed what I've been saying. He has the Newist Galaxy Note. We both shot the same thing in my studio in perfect light with tripod and compared on my Computer. The Galaxy was miles ahead in rez and quality. I didn't buy mine as a camera. Nor will my wife care.

Thats my report. I still have no idea why I bought it. she needs it. I don't. This thread made me do it......LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

remind me again why I need this.

My God the world is indeed going to come to an end now! LOL Why do you need it? Well I can use it to find your ass when we are out shooting sometime and you go wandering off. Also on a more serious note in case of emergency. Its good to be able to get help if and when you need it. It doesn't have to be anything to do with what you went through with your heart but if you ever get injured sometime. Like you say, you got nothing but money so that isn't an issue. Use it when needed.

Oh my goodness, Laurin.  I surely didn't mean to make you buy a smartphone! lol!!!   ...but I think it is a good idea for you to have one with your recent surgery and all.  Still... don't send me the bill! ;) 

Thanks for the feedback on the comparison.  I'll definitely take a look at the Galaxy. It makes more sense for me to stick with the iphone since I already use the ipad ... but I'm just not totally sold on it. 

I wish I had thought of doing a comparison test when my kids were here at Christmas.  We just didn't have a lot of time since we were shooting food shots for the new menu at our Pub.   We're just opening a second location and in a real time crunch to get the menus done ...so most of our Christmas visit was centered around that project.  You should have seen my kitchen! lol!  It was great fun, though, and we got some super shots!    (nothing I can add to my stock portfolio right now though, as we all agreed to keep them exclusive to our menu) 

Anyway, thanks again, Laurin for your responses and making the comparison!  Happy New Year to you!

I've heard that about galaxy, I have an iphone, but that's because I already had iTunes, etc... I'm so addicted to the stupid thing, it's not funny, lol even thought the camera's not that great (it's alright, the flash is terrible though.)

• 3 weeks later...