chanevy

Monopods-What do I need to know

I am thinking of getting a monopod to take on my political rally/cultural event shoots.  Tripods don't really work well in these venues especially if you're crowded into a bunch of other press.  I am wondering how helpful they really are.  Also wondering if it is worth spending the money as I am only seeing focus issues from one site (not SS) 

If I go this route, I am looking currently at a Manfrotto 680B priced at $65.  Here's the description:  Black anodized aluminum four section monopod featuring sure rubber grip, wrist carrying strap, quick action lever leg lock system with 45° flip, large 2.3" camera/head platform with plastic cover and dual 1/4-20" - 3/8" camera screw.  I'm thinking the collar on my 70-200 should screw in just as well as a camera?

The most I would put on it would be about 6-7 pounds, so it leaves lots of room to "grow" my gear.  Just not sure how much help it would actually be. 

Monopods are a must have. I would add a  Ballhead without a QR [Quick release Plate]so you can throw it over your shoulder and move . 90% of OOF pictures are from vertical Movement. They stop that. Every sports guy on the planet uses one.

"I am thinking of getting a monopod to take on my political rally/cultural event shoots.  Tripods don't really work well in these venues especially if you're crowded into a bunch of other press.  I am wondering how helpful they really are.  Also wondering if it is worth spending the money as I am only seeing focus issues from one site (not SS)"

OR...you can work harder on hand holding technique. Same as being a expert rifleman. Practice Start here. and Learn to never push down on a shutter Button. You roll your finger over it.Click on Joe MacNally "DA GRIP"youtube. he's in the top 20 Best.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=da+grip&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-003

Second Laurin's comment. I cover events, too, & a monopod is a great way to introduce stability, permit slightly lower shutter speeds--especially in the winter months when daylight is fleeting--while still allowing for mobility. Mine is an ancient Bogen, originally cost $25 or so. Very lightweight & portable. Also agree that QR isn't necessary or desirable.

Don't have a ball head on mine, but I can see that one would be a good addition.

andy

Like Laurin and Andy, I use a Manfrotto 681B monopod with a large Amvona ballhead and Arcra Swiss QR.

They definitely minimize vertical movement!

Alternatively if you are strapped for funds you can try this.

Get a 1/4 20 bolt (the size that fits the screw mount on the bottom of your camera), using a large washer with it, screw it partially into the camera base, tie some parachute cord or similar string to it ensuring the cord reaches the ground. If you put your foot on the trailing end of the cord and pull the cord taught, it will do the same thing, minimize vertical movement, however maintaining constant upward tension on the cord will eventually become tiresome.

Thank you, gentlemen!   Laurin, I definitely agree about working on handling technique and will continue to do that.   I much prefer to hold the camera correctly than to lug a bunch of stuff around.   Sometime, though, I just need a little help.  I like to ask here before I buy stuff-you more experienced people help me make good use of my money.

"90% of OOF pictures are from vertical movement."  I had no idea-thank you.

Love your idea, Jeffrey.   It might work for me since I tend to shoot a few shots and move to a different location, which would give me a little rest from maintaining the tension.