Change to our Initial Review process

The problem is that it's possible to get one out of ten good photos by accident.

Then, encouraged, the new submitter loads up everything they have...

and it all gets rejected.

The idea of the original requirements was to find submitters who could consistently provide good work.  This made less work for reviewers, who could take more time over their work. Making Shutterstock's portfolio one of the best.

Now, there's all sorts of crap on the site, because the reviewers are rushed.  (At least, I hope that's why the crap is there)

Adobe sells crap?

SS shop has decided to expand the range to attract a buyer ... big chance for suppliers of goods what was not presented on the shelf.

Dutch cheese suppliers against a guy from Mongolia with bottle of koumiss? More work for the Department of quality, is it bad?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the Shutterstock artist community grows, we are constantly looking for ways to better support, educate and empower our contributors to become successful in our marketplace. Just within this past ye

what are you doing...good Lord... and so the slag overflows the base, now what?? come to your senses before it's too late...turn on your mind...if it is you have left... Oh my God

The more I think about this the more I realize what the hell is the difference anyway so...I don't care. Competition? I don't think so. NO ONE shoots the way I do and I certainly don't shoot or wanna shoot Like anyone else.

I also actually feel sorry for the review team. what I've been seeing lately on the critique forum is a lot of folks with No clue whatsoever as to taking a picture. Thats what they want to deal with. ? God Bless. Im sure we need More flowers,Strawberries,pretty cookies and food on a paper plate because "it's real" Kind of shots.  The premier collection will always be the Premier collection and taking the high road is what most do anyway. also the Vast majority of these folks will Give up anyway when they realize it takes a lot More than a camera. And I also think this decision will encourage submitters here to investigate Macro and RM and hopefully some new sites will appear with ACTUAL CURATED collections. Then...The line will appear on the road.

Ladies and Gentleman...Man your cellphones, The "Real" Race to the bottom hasen't even started yet and , Im sure SS looks at it Like a Race to the top as they know best what works for them.  Oh Well.....LOL!!!!!!!!!

There was an Old saying years ago. "If you take an infinite amount of Monkeys and an Infinite amount of typewriters, They will eventually write the worlds greatest  Books"

Thats my view. I wouldn't worry about this. Good reason to step up your game. The cream shall always rise My good friends.

Good Luck.

And what is the next step? To accept anything like does iS?

I have images that were accepted straight away at IS but initially rejected at SS, until I fixed them.  Now that I see how much better they are, I'm disappointed in the IS (and DT) versions.  Lately, I've only been submitting to SS.  If they get accepted here, they're probably a shoe in elsewhere.  And if they don't sell here, they probably won't sell anywhere, so why waste my time...

That said, I hope SS doesn't lower their standards on accepting images.

I'm just glad I struggled through the tougher admitting standards, even if I did get in with only six acceptances on the last try.  It made me a better photographer.  It helped me realize that just because my friends and my family loved my work it did not mean I was anywhere ready to do this professionally.  I think if it had been easier to get accepted, I would have given up by now.  Acceptances would have been hit and miss and sales little to none.  Because of the tough entry standards and the tough but fair critiques, I learned what it takes to properly evaluate my own work.  I hope I'm a better photographer; I know I'm a better critic of my own work and no longer waste much time submitting hopeless shots.

The thing is if people are struggling to hit the 7 out of 10 mark currently then it forces them to improve the quality of their images and rethink their approach which means when they do get accepted the quality of the work they are uploading is going to have improved and they are more likely to get acceptances.

Anyone can upload 10 images and get 1 accepted so there is no learning experience there at all. People can pass that test and then upload dozens of photos which are too poor to get accepted but tie up the reviewers all the same because they haven't actually learnt anything about the SS standards from the test. Reviewing hundreds of images which are just going to get rejected is wasted money for SS.

I agree with this comment.  I was fortunate I was accepted first time ;o) - but have obviously had many rejections since  - but these rejections have (and still do)  teach me to look more carefully at the images I send.  I feel 3/10 would be a better option

I too was rejected at my first few submission attempts, but with the kind input of other contributors I was eventually accepted as an SS contributor a few months ago and I now have a small portfolio with SS and have made enough sales to cover the cost of a coffee or two. I'm not sure how lowering the standard for contributor acceptance to one image out of ten will help or support anyone to be honest. Under these circumstances, I would have easily been accepted on the strength of my first submission. I'm not a great photographer, not even a good one but I'm certain that the process of becoming accepted as a contributor improved my skills hugely and this simply would not have happened if I'd been accepted immediately. It really is a case of no-pain-no-gain. 

I don't think that the level of support to contributors by SS is much different pre-or-post acceptance and relying upon the 'canned-feedback' supplied with image rejections will not teach anyone much. The real education comes from the forums, particularly the Critique Gallery where the kind (but brutally honest) input from other more experienced contributors is what really drives standards up.

The SS review process is an area where improvements are much needed (in my humble opinion) because of the huge inconsistencies that seem to exist between reviewers. Lowering the standard for contributor acceptance must only result in more pressure upon the review team because a higher proportion of unacceptable images will be submitted for rejection, presumably exacerbating the problems in this area.  

If SS seriously wants to improve support for new contributors, this could be achieved at almost no cost, by providing a mechanism for viewing images submitted for critique at 100%. This would facilitate much more useful feedback to beginners and hence raise standards without the need to make the contributor acceptance process easier. 

I was genuinely proud to have been accepted as an SS contributor and to make the process so much easier devalues the achievement almost completely.  

I'm still somewhat new here and have a very small portfolio. I passed the initial test after a couple tries. While my experiences here have pushed me to do better work and constantly study more theory to get better, I have found the inconsistant and irratic submission process has been killing my creativity and interest in SS. Now the reviewers will be overwhelmed far far more and existing problems will become even more inconsistant. This effects every single contributers experience on SS in a very negative way.

I entered just a couple of weeks ago with 8 images under the 7/10 requirement and it was just my second try. The remaining 2 were accepted two days later.

It might have been a 10 out of 10 for me but does this make me automatically a better photographer than you and how can this help me sell more photos?

Shutterstock needs only to sell photos and This is exactly what they are trying to do: one sellable photo is better than nothing. One sold photo is money for Shutterstock and the photographer.

My Lightroom Library counts more than 30000 images but it was not easy to select 10 images: I think, when they ask us our best they’re not asking necessarily for Fine Art they’re just asking for what we think are the best sellable candidates in our Library.

This move can only raise competition. It doesn’t matter if you compete with 1 or 100 photos. They just want to sell more: this is good for Shutterstock and this is also good for the photographer… who sells!

In the end 7/10 or 1/10 doesn’t make the difference and doesn’t bother me at all.

So let’s go out and take better sellable pictures!

Marco

i see it like fishing.. if shutterstock under the old-rule was baiting their line for a specific catch - the professional photographer capable of delivering a suitable micro stock image 7 times out of 10…

now i see it as more open net trawling under this new rule... grabbing up anyone capable of snapping a photo (aka basically everyone in the developed world) and hope they show SS something they'd be able to sell.  

If we were feeding the beast that was our portfolios, i think now that shutterstock is feeding the beast that is their contributor base.

not saying i'm a fan, but i don't stress out about things I know I can't change either. 

the positive :  its now easier than every to 'feed the beast' that could be your referral earnings. if anyone can get in, and anyone can sell, why not funnel those distributed sales into the referral earnings of a single account - aka yourself.  Do it well enough, and before any one of those contributors makes a $35 payout individually, you could make that off of $0.04 referrals. lol.  

I don't know about you guys, but I've tried referring people I know who are interested in photography and basically none of them 'pan-out'.. or finish the review process in general. 

The 7 out of 10 was a good teacher of experience to me.. it scared me a lot like it was a strict professor so I waited for a year to finally submit and I honed my skills. Finally, I decided to upload my 10 images and I passed them all in just first try (and that was after a year of deciding and soul-searching). It was a worthwhile experience and I can't forget it. With 1 out of 10, it seems like a walk in the park and kind of diploma mill, i guess.

Wouldnt fixing the problems in the SS system allowing the existing contributers to be more productive and focused on their work be a better path? If we didnt have to waste time and play stupid games just to try to get past a flawed and irratic review system, maybe we would contibute more and have confidence in SS. Your now opening the floodgates for weaker images and putting massive pressure on that same overworked review system to sift through far more rejections for a few extra good images. The weakest link in the chain that effects everyone. Stronger contributers will lose confidence in SS and leave or stop contributing, then all you'll have are the weaker contributers offering mostly rejections. A very poor trade.

It seems these people will teach us how to do photography.

OK. I would like to be educated how to to take picture of fountain at night. Feel free to contact me.

http://funkyimg.com/i/25jU8.jpg

I don't think anyone here is going to teach you how to do photography the right way. That's on each and every one of us to do on our own. The review process theoretically will point out where your weaknesses are so you know what to learn. Lighting. Focus. Composition. If you want someone to teach you specific skills, you need to look for a class or do some searches online. Google is your friend. YouTube too. A lot can be learned off the internet. But I don't see anyone here investing their time in giving step by step instructions.

It seems these people will teach us how to do photography.

OK. I would like to be educated how to to take picture of fountain at night. Feel free to contact me.

http://funkyimg.com/i/25jU8.jpg

that the image was approved, I would have added description: long exposure ...and what need to write was be rejected?