Change to our Initial Review process

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As the Shutterstock artist community grows, we are constantly looking for ways to better support, educate and empower our contributors to become successful in our marketplace. Just within this past ye

what are you doing...good Lord... and so the slag overflows the base, now what?? come to your senses before it's too late...turn on your mind...if it is you have left... Oh my God

What this will do is encourage the development of many many small portfolios.  Even with the payout threshold lowered, that means lots of dollars staying in Shutterstock's bank long enough to generate quite a bit of interest.

(F****** has been doing this for years.) 

Corporate probably loves this idea, not realizing that it will also make much more work for already overworked reviewers, and fill the portfolio with mediocre stock.

Shutterstock has long been considered the cream of the stock world, and where everyone wants to be.  Once the punters realize they can get in by sheer luck (that one shot in a thousand that came out good!)  they'll swarm the place.

It all started with the payout threahold being lowered to $35 , that was an indicater. I beleive more bad news is coming down the pipes, all in due time. Time for those that have made a serious liviing at this to start thinking of alternate ways of actually making money with your images, cause the future aint lookin too bright.

There are still leftover sites who appreciate their contributors.  fairtrade_badge.png

I used to upload my new images to Shutterstock first, but not any more.

One out of 10 passing makes a person as a SS contributor?  That will be a much easier than 7 out of 10 criterion (I passed on my fifth try couple of months ago).

With the number of new contributors increasing, the number of uploaded images (or footages or others) will jump as well.  As a result SS reviewers have to spend a lot of time to review and to reject those images (or footages or others) from the contributors who pass only 1 out of 10.

That will be a lot more work for the reviewers!

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?gallery_id=3114920

Hold on a minute - 1 out of 10 to get in doesn't necessarily mean SS will be flooded with low quality images. It means there'll be more contributors with smaller ports, but all the images they submit after their first one has been approved will still have to get past the review process. We know how difficult that has become.

As I see it, it shouldn't make a lot of difference for anybody who's here already.

This is biggest mistake that can Shutter do. 

More number of new low quality materials will grow to lowest review process of new pictures and photos. 

Today this process takes more than 24 hours (this is very big amount of time), and will take up to 7 days with peak of new customers with low quality materials. 

1 from 10 can be more fortuity instead 7 when we should do more quality pictures for review.  

Of course no one exam can be fully informative, but 1 from 10 is near for absolutely no exam. 

It's a crazy idea... unless you are going to sell the business: more contributors means the price will be higher.

Before passing the exam I practiced a lot to be sure the quality of illustrations will be good and the customers can expect variety in my portfolio. Then I joined from 1 attempt  it was deserved.  

You'd better pay attention to quality and controll similars. A lot of good content sinks in endless images of those who post one illustration in 150+ shades of one color!

Very disappointed. :(

What's happening here I think is that SS is realising that there are "some" good images selling elsewhere which up until now, couldn't be available to them due to the original tight initial review process.

These images exist in portfolios where it is free to upload anything and where, yes you might find"one" saleable image in amongst 50 or more which are totally unsaleable. 

I think everyone knows of these places.By lowering the threshold, SS can avail of taking on these saleable images but at the cost of having to have extra reviewers to constantly reject the inevitable deluge of  sub standard work which will be coming its way.

I can imagine that the rule change is motivated by a desire of Shutterstock corporate not to miss out on some really 'hot' shots that would sell many times. The 'hot image' maker may only have one shot in them but that one shot could make SS a pile of money. Multiply that by hundreds or thousands of 'one shot wonders' and to SS corporate that is a good deal. It would also leave SS hot-shot-spotters active on Instagram etc free to invite/recommend the hot shot maker to join SS to monetize their shot(s) and you never know, where there's one great shot, there may be more.
Imagine if you were able to make the same amount of money as you have made on your best-seller and then on every shot you took....well that's not the way it works for you but it does for Shutterstock.

No on will be looking for any photography lessons with this! :D

And yes once they get passed the first initial approval of 1 out of 10 and have to go through the whole regular review process there will be a lot of very small 1 page ports as a lot of newer contributors will give up once they find out how hard it really is and then every now and then SS will be able to get a few good photogs that will stick it out but they will be few and far between.