Anna Shutterstock

Change to our Initial Review process

151 posts in this topic

As the Shutterstock artist community grows, we are constantly looking for ways to better support, educate and empower our contributors to become successful in our marketplace. Just within this past year we launched a contributor support center and relaunched our contributor forum on a more dynamic and user-friendly platform.

As the next step in improving the contributor experience we have decided to simplify the sign-up and onboarding process by changing the requirement  from 7 to 1 out of 10 images accepted for initial submission. We found that the "7 out of 10" rule is no longer an effective standard to evaluate if a contributor can be successful in our marketplace. We know that we can better educate and support our contributors once they are active on our platform and have access to our many resources and support tools.

As always, we will continue to evaluate all images we receive per our standards. This change will simplify the sign up process for any artist interested in joining the Shutterstock community and will improve the overall contributor experience!

As the Shutterstock artist community grows, we are constantly looking for ways to better support, educate and empower our contributors to become successful in our marketplace. Just within this past year we launched a contributor support center and relaunched our contributor forum on a more dynamic and user-friendly platform.

As the next step in improving the contributor experience we have decided to simplify the sign-up and onboarding process by changing the requirement  from 7 to 1 out of 10 images accepted for initial submission. We found that the "7 out of 10" rule is no longer an effective standard to evaluate if a contributor can be successful in our marketplace. We know that we can better educate and support our contributors once they are active on our platform and have access to our many resources and support tools.

As always, we will continue to evaluate all images we receive per our standards. This change will simplify the sign up process for any artist interested in joining the Shutterstock community and will improve the overall contributor experience!

Now where was this when I joined?

Now where was this when I joined?

You're right I didn't read your post... :lol:

Imagine that? Only one needed to be accepted? I guess that besides raising the numbers of new accepted images, the number of new contributors will spike.

When I joined and it was 7 out of 10 and I passed, (second try after I discovered the three D rule for being accepted) I figured they will take anyone. I was wrong. Now they will take anyone. LOL

Sure the subsequent images must pass inspection, but people won't have to play the passing game to get in anymore. Eliminates a kind of flawed barrier and makes it up to the reviewers to look on an image by image basis. Less time wasted...

Just for fun, here's my first accepted photo:

stock-photo-baked-cod-dinner-broccoli-po

Baked Cod Dinner broccoli potato lemon on black background

I did this backwards. Signed up for a dozen sites. Worked the smaller ones, until I thought I had some good images, and then started uploading to the 3-4-5 sites. When I had an idea of what I thought would pass, I started with SS and #2 (or was that #1 back then?) That was a lesson, because the best from all the other 10 sites, were pretty much refused here and at that other place.

If I had it to do again, I'd start here and on the GIS-word, and when something passed, it would go to the rest. But since I dropped all the rest except the top three, the backwards thinking was even more backwards!

Being accepted doesn't equate to being sold or making money.

Oh and small detail, one of my best selling shots here, one of my first seven. Was rejected by IS until they changed the review process. I edited, altered, changed, did everything I could but it always failed for blown out highlights. Now it's there and sells nearly as often as here.

Anyway, thanks Barry, we can watch the flood of new contributors coming to play with us.

Anyone know how to look at the newest member number and then look in a month to see how the new people have been accepted?

I would have preferred an upgrade of the regular review process that addressed the many problems constantly being discussed here (batch rejects, passing of completely unsuitable material, apparently inconsistent standards depending on which reviewer you happen to get etc).

But, whatever. :huh:

Dear Shutterstock Team, you are giving up a point which is giving you competitive advantage. This is not what I would like to hear as a Shutterstock Customer. By overloading your Review Team, how can you ensure quality and reviewing time stays at this level? This means also less Contributor Earnings for each actual member. This is not right, even if you hope to get more subscribers to your skillfeet platform.

That's really a lose lose situation.  :(

Right at the bottom of the forums.

Anyone know how to look at the newest member number and then look in a month to see how the new people have been accepted?

Not to be argumentative Barry, but that's FORUM newest member. :)

Highest member # for artist is 3,794,957 but the numbers are not consecutive. Not all are assigned. I estimated in round numbers 1,265,000 accounts have been opened. As well all know, there are many with no images. This new review for membership will probably change that and yes, I think the idea is, let the reviewers do the work, not the acceptance team.

Now someone remind me to look again, on January 1st? ;)

LOL, another great move. Is this ship sinking?

BTW Anna why stop at 1 image? Make it zero.

What's the difference, even monkey can make one good photo.

Let's flood that stream of 100,000 new images per day with even more pics.....let's aim for 1 million new images per day. What you say?

LOL, another great move. Is this ship sinking? BTW Anna why stop at 1 image? Make it zero. What's the difference, even monkey can make one good photo. Let's flood that stream of 100,000 new images per day with even more pics.....let's aim for 1 million new images per day. What you say?

Certainly would be a good sell for shareholders. Which I suspect is part of the point of this move.

When people are looking at the numbers, growth is growth. Quality doesn't count for much.

Certainly would be a good sell for shareholders. Which I suspect is part of the point of this move.

When people are looking at the numbers, growth is growth. Quality doesn't count for much.

100% this is the reason.

Another thing is if you have many new amateurish contributors you get their work for free, because huge number of them will never reach payout minimum. ....

It all started with the payout threahold being lowered to $35 , that was an indicater.

I beleive more bad news is coming down the pipes, all in due time.

Time for those that have made a serious liviing at this to start thinking of alternate ways of actually making money with your images, cause the future aint lookin too bright.

100% this is the reason. Another thing is if you have many new amateurish contributors you get their work for free, because huge number of them will never reach payout minimum. ....

2 good reasons another one could be, it's a great possibillity to find new talents and trends.

Do you really think the instagramers had a chance to get an approval some years ago?

LOL, another great move. Is this ship sinking? BTW Anna why stop at 1 image? Make it zero. What's the difference, even monkey can make one good photo. Let's flood that stream of 100,000 new images per day with even more pics.....let's aim for 1 million new images per day. What you say?

stock-photo-funny-monkey-taking-a-selfie