Update on Shutterstock Watermark Progress

Totally ridiculous that Shutterstock deems OUR copyright and property worthless by giving it away with the new MASSIVE PREVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is going on here???!!!!!! Who gave you the right to do this???!!!!! Show me the agreement that I signed or agreed to that you may present MY images with such large previews just to make your buyers happy!!!!!! All that you have achieved is to make the thousands of thieves happy and to alienate your contributors. Happy now Shutterstock???!!!!!!

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Issues.     This is part of My Income. This is not a hobby. I could care less about all the V1/v2 whatever crap. I don't care. My Issue and Im sure many others is One thing. "THE LARGE PREVIEW"

PLEASE, PLEASE Shutterstock let us have an opt-in and opt-out choice! I'm begging you! I work so hard on my images and the thought of them just being given away is a blow to my income and heart. There

This whole watermark and gigantic preview situation is so ridicules I now start to think SS is doing this on purpose. It's not possible they are incompetent this much. The question is way? Is this s

Totally ridiculous that Shutterstock deems OUR copyright and property worthless by giving it away with the new MASSIVE PREVIEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What the hell is going on here???!!!!!! Who gave you the right to do this???!!!!! Show me the agreement that I signed or agreed to that you may present MY images with such large previews just to make your buyers happy!!!!!! All that you have achieved is to make the thousands of thieves happy and to alienate your contributors. Happy now Shutterstock???!!!!!!

Write to support and show them that the watermark protect almost nothing in many images. I still write to them until now.

the unbelievable thing is the preview is 300 resolution..... i Always believed Shutterstock was the best regarding copyrights and images protection.. this is totally disrespectful toward us, as contributors.

Lincurrie is absolutely RIGHT.

we have never ever signed for having previwes this big, and i am wondering if we can take legal actions in the future.

this is going to kill the business, for both.

i can't believe previews are now opened in a new page and 300 resolution...... i have just downladed my own pics.... come on, it's ridiculous

It´s crazy! i wonder how many people are going to start use the previews images even with the watermark ... they don´t care to use it in blogs and amateur stuff. Hope SS knows the implications of this move!

the unbelievable thing is the preview is 300 resolution..... i Always believed Shutterstock was the best regarding copyrights and images protection.. this is totally disrespectful toward us, as contributors.

Lincurrie is absolutely RIGHT.

we have never ever signed for having previwes this big, and i am wondering if we can take legal actions in the future.

this is going to kill the business, for both.

Not for both, just for us contributors. My sales for this month (Nov.) are much bellow September and October and half $$ of FT sales.

The difference went for free.

well, if they don't ensure me protection on the images, then they are acting against the contractual issue with is at the base of what you sign once appling as a contributor.

you can't ask me to be 100% original and true, and then give away my pics with 300 rez previews.

You may want to go read the TOS.

You may want to go read the TOS.

Dear Barry, obviously that was a provocative sentence.

I think it is not logical having previews in 300 dpi, I just opened one of my image, ity's huge!!!

now considering that at least 60% of microstock buyers know how modify and edit pictures, the game is easy. right click and save, end of the story.

and i want to add that , beside the TOS, and beside the fact that yes, as a contributor, i have zero chance to be protected, this watermark issue shows how obvious is it: they are proctecting images in the wrong way, and it's quite obvious I guess. what really surprise me is the fact that people working in SS are the best graphic designers , and they obviously know how to work and edit images, so they obviously must know that giving 300 res preview is going to expose files in a very Dangerous way. so how come they never thought about it during many years of SS activity?

i guess now this is going to be a dead thread for them, and we will keep this preview.

btw, now someone have to explain me this : if you dont give me the certainty of protection on my images, do i have any chance to claim my rights?

Dear Barry, obviously that was a provocative sentence.

I think it is not logical having previews in 300 dpi, I just opened one of my image, ity's huge!!!

now considering that at least 60% of microstock buyers know how modify and edit pictures, the game is easy. right click and save, end of the story.

and i want to add that , beside the TOS, and beside the fact that yes, as a contributor, i have zero chance to be protected, this watermark issue shows how obvious is it: they are proctecting images in the wrong way, and it's quite obvious I guess. what really surprise me is the fact that people working in SS are the best graphic designers , and they obviously know how to work and edit images, so they obviously must know that giving 300 res preview is going to expose files in a very Dangerous way. so how come they never thought about it during many years of SS activity?

i guess now this is going to be a dead thread for them, and we will keep this preview.

btw, now someone have to explain me this : if you dont give me the certainty of protection on my images, do i have any chance to claim my rights?

• Overview
  • By submitting any Content to Shutterstock, you grant to Shutterstock a worldwide, non-exclusive right and license to reproduce, prepare derivative works incorporating, publicly display, sublicense, sell, advertise and market any Content uploaded by you and accepted by Shutterstock, until this Agreement is terminated as herein provided. You also give permission to Shutterstock to add, modify or remove information related to your Content in order to manage and license such Content.

Yes, thanks for remind me, but .... Thios has nothing to do with this watermark issue. Yes, modify , remove my content, is one thing. Giving a lesser protection on images, and exposing images like it's happening now, sorry, but for me has nothing to do with your "overview".

In this case you are not modifying, you are creating the circumstances to make my work Worth less, and available to be taken by anyone. ( Overview: 300 dpi)

With theft of our enlarged preview photos, Shutterstock is losing more money than us contributors. I don't see the reason of doing this from the their point of view but I suppose they know what they are doing.

I suppose they do know, and people here are assuming that image thieves are lurking in the shadows, just waiting to steal our images from previews. There are hundreds of so called free sites that have most everything here already, without the work. I think the preview could be smaller, especially after seeing how large the Copy Image is, which is larger than the screen view.

I'd love to see how this size, makes us and SS more money.

But I'll go with you, if it's costing them sales and income, you would see it changed in a flash.

I still have at least one image that has the V1 (white bottom) large preview. I contacted support two weeks ago and they said they knew some images didn't yet have the new (dark gray bottom) preview and "eventually" all images will have the new version.

In the case of my image (a photograph) the watermark is essentially invisible on the preview. It isn't a best seller, so there's probably little practical harm done, but I wonder if others have one/some/a few images still with the old white bottom preview?

Support didn't answer the second part of my question at all (I showed them two examples of V2 (gray bottom) previews that were close to invisible.

I'm not impressed that nothing has happened so long after this changeover was supposed to occur and two weeks after contacting support. Certainly doesn't feel as if this is being treated as a priority issue to fix. Possibly if there are enough of us in the same boat we can contact support again to try and raise the priority of, at a minimum, getting all the images the improved V2 (gray bottom) preview.

I still have at least one image that has the V1 (white bottom) large preview. I contacted support two weeks ago and they said they knew some images didn't yet have the new (dark gray bottom) preview and "eventually" all images will have the new version.

In the case of my image (a photograph) the watermark is essentially invisible on the preview. It isn't a best seller, so there's probably little practical harm done, but I wonder if others have one/some/a few images still with the old white bottom preview?

Support didn't answer the second part of my question at all (I showed them two examples of V2 (gray bottom) previews that were close to invisible.

I'm not impressed that nothing has happened so long after this changeover was supposed to occur and two weeks after contacting support. Certainly doesn't feel as if this is being treated as a priority issue to fix. Possibly if there are enough of us in the same boat we can contact support again to try and raise the priority of, at a minimum, getting all the images the improved V2 (gray bottom) preview.

I currently give up now.

I mail support over 3 mails with example of images that the new watermark (v2) hardly protect my images. They ignored it completely.

They implement the new preview system overnight but took almost a month just to update the V2 watermark.