Update on Shutterstock Watermark Progress

V-1

vincent shutterstock

Admin/Moderator
    Administrators
    1,581 posts

LocationShutterstock Mothership

Posted 21 October 2015 - 05:00 PM
As always we appreciate feedback from our contributor community on changes we make in our marketplace. To drive more download opportunities, we are implementing a new watermark design. The new design, which we collaborated on with members of our contributor community, provides additional protection for your images that have an off-center focal point and for vector images overall.

While we’ve found that the new watermark provides additional protection we’ve also identified a small sub-set of images where the watermark could be more pronounced. We are adjusting the watermark on these images.

Our goal is to protect your content and drive value in our marketplace. We will keep you updated on progress as we continue to implement this change.

V-2

Paul Shutterstock

Administrators
    2 posts

Posted 24 October 2015 - 01:30 PM

To our contributors,

We strive for excellence in everything that we do and know that this is expected across our contributor and customer experience.  The new watermark that we rolled out on Wednesday was not as effective as it should have been for some of your images and we found this unacceptable.

We began publishing a new watermark across all images overnight.  You can now view examples here, here and here.  And we are working rapidly to complete this process over the next few days.

This new watermark and larger image preview is designed to drive more download opportunities for your creative work while protecting it.

Thank you to all of our contributors who provided design feedback and insights, and to all of our community for helping us create the best possible global creative marketplace.

Paul Brennan

Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

V-3

Paul Shutterstock

Administrators
    2 posts

Posted Yesterday, 06:02 PM

To our contributor community -

We have now implemented our new watermark on many of your images, new examples can be viewed here, here and here and we are nearing completion of applying this new watermark to all of your images.

Thank you to all of our contributors who are providing feedback and insights, and to all of our community for your patience as we make this important change.

We will provide additional updates as we complete the roll out of the new watermark on the balance of your images.

Paul Brennan

Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

This tells me they have made three adjustments to the watermark therefore 3 versions.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Issues.     This is part of My Income. This is not a hobby. I could care less about all the V1/v2 whatever crap. I don't care. My Issue and Im sure many others is One thing. "THE LARGE PREVIEW"

PLEASE, PLEASE Shutterstock let us have an opt-in and opt-out choice! I'm begging you! I work so hard on my images and the thought of them just being given away is a blow to my income and heart. There

This whole watermark and gigantic preview situation is so ridicules I now start to think SS is doing this on purpose. It's not possible they are incompetent this much. The question is way? Is this s

If I am wrong big deal!

So you too then think with all the coverage on the image that this is worse then what has been in place for years?

Get real.

And no buyers are not gonna steal images and risk loosing their accounts!

And if they do then they are fools and I somehow think they are not!

So this all goes back to the regular thieves that are everywhere.

My concern is (and then I gotta go) that certain buyers will not renew subscriptions if they don't have to - then there is no account at risk to lose.

My concern is (and then I gotta go) that certain buyers will not renew subscriptions if they don't have to - then there is no account at risk to lose.

And still risk getting caught and outed to the rest of the Microstock world and branded as a thief?

Doubt it.

The gray box around the logo has been there for all the black bottom previews - it just isn't visible as easily on all images, but it's there. 

For many of the V1 large previews (white bottom) you can't see the diagonal lines or the logos, as the glitter example above illustrates

Rather than wasting time arguing about versions, let's just provide examples of the black bottom previews that don't work well so that Shutterstock can evaluate what can be done to improve the previews. And please let's have a different color bar for any version updates in previews (perhaps light gray bottom for the next one?) so there's no doubt about which version is which...

My Issues.

This is part of My Income. This is not a hobby. I could care less about all the V1/v2 whatever crap. I don't care. My Issue and Im sure many others is One thing. "THE LARGE PREVIEW"

I want Paul or whoever is in charge this month to explain to Me and others "WHY" this Large Preview is needed. I Mean seriously If some buyer or designer can't visualize what his project will Look like, Gosh...to Bad. We are giving away the Images guys. You don't have to be a buyer or have a buyer account to see them and steal them. Putting your head under the covers won't help..

Paul gave 3 Links, I took all 3 of those Images and got rid of all watermarks in well under 2 minutes each. The 1500 X 993 yellow abstract one by Oleg 1969 took 40 Sec. I did One of My Best sellers in under a minute also that could easily be a half page Hi Rez Image or Look real Nice On a XL Sweatshirt.

I also don't care about what we had or did in the past. Thats dead..Going forward is my concern and since were never going to get a raise of any Kind I want every damn Penny of that 38 Cents.....Thank you very much.

My personal History is littered with copyright Infringement, I have lost a LOT of money with People stealing My Music, In fact one of my best selling albums is selling at Best Buy and amazon today and I have no idea who put this out. Im Losing Money just sitting Here.

Who Knows how many Images are stolen?  No One Thats who, My Images and Music were being stolen long before microstock was even thought of, So Don't ever tell me it don't happen.

The original watermark is fine with me. IT"S THE DAMN HUGE PREVIEW I am totally against. and those that are for it or don't care or think were being babies about it Maybe its because your Images will never be stolen anyway.??

I and others want SS to respect what we do, They don't do what we do and this is not a SS Problem Perse' It's a Internet problem with No real solution  BUT...........Why in Gods name do you wanna make it easier for the crooks because with the large review thats exactly what your doing and in doing so Hammering another nail in the coffin of online theft which is Off the chart already.

Im Not a master at Photoshop, But..Im telling ya if I can remove anything you put up in under 2 Minutes some kid in china that gets paid 50 cents an hour can probably do it faster and better. and there it goes because You guys wanna give away a Large Image to make some buyer happier.

This is such a can of worms. SS ...you have the chance to do the right thing right here, Right now. Confidence and Motivation are Low...Were watching. This is Our work Guys..Not yours. Try to keep that in Mind at all times.

The larger the Image ,The easier it is. I won't post what I did out of respect for the authors.

Carry On. A whole bunch Of people are holding off Uploading and deleting Images waiting for you to do the right thing. Petitions are circulating. Only a fool would  think we are all a bunch Of Rag tag amateurs in Microstock, theres some pretty Heavyweight folks here that have been around a long Time watching and waiting for what you guys are gonna do..

Heres your chance..On a Platter. Wanna make a large preview?..make it bullet proof.

My sales drop instantly after Shutterstock launch that large preview with no protection. This never happen to me for many months. Before the preview,  sales is predictable and has a constant growth in my portfolio. So now I can't think of other reason why my sales just drop to almost 30% in a single week.

ESPECIALLY WHEN I HEARD GROUP OF PEOPLE I KNOW CHATTING ABOUT "NOW THEY CAN RIGHT-CLICK SAVE IMAGES FROM SHUTTERSTOCK AND DELETE IT WITH PHOTOSHOP AND THEY CAN GET ACCEPTABLE QUALITY IMAGES FOR FREE!!!"

This really hurt me Shutterstock, but what I hurt me more is that you don't seem to take serious action to protect our work!

Non of V1-V3 watermarks are far from good enough. I send my samples images for you to see via support that your watermark is useless for my "illustration" and "texture" pic but all you did is just copy-paste like a robot. You don't even look at my samples and ADMIT that you fail to protect it and find a better solution for contributors.

If you can't deal with it properly in an appropriate time, just take the preview out!!

37,774 Total Members on the forum, over 70,000 contributors and approx 30 complaining, and once again it is about size which goes back to 2 years ago same thing different day.

I don't know that the preview size has changed, I never looked at it.

But the watermark has (I think that was the subject of this thread?) and I like the newest watermark better than the old simple one, one word, with fine lines that were almost invisible. True some patterns and some backgrounds it's not as good as one big word, but on most, it's better protection and less distracting to buyers.

Does the size have something to do with the original size? This one shows as 1500x874 when I click preview. And the watermark works fine? It could be smaller, but I don't know that it would make any difference? People who steal images know how to upsize them.

Looks like the copy also has CA issues and SS had degraded the quality of that preview image?

shutterstock_autumn_325337375.jpg

Large preview is so a buyer can get a look at what he is purchasing so he doesn't end up buying something he later finds out is noisy or OOF, or perhaps has been downsized to get approved and wont work for them.

The large size has been around for over two years.

Buyers are probably tired of seeing an image buying it and then finding something wrong with it whereas if they had the large preview they could have seen the defect and moved on to something else.

Large preview is so a buyer can get a look at what he is purchasing so he doesn't end up buying something he later finds out is noisy or OOF, or perhaps has been downsized to get approved and wont work for them.

Buyers are probably tired of seeing an image buying it and then finding something wrong with it whereas if they had the large preview they could have seen the defect and moved on to something else.

Haven't more contributors suggested about quality control tools, such as loupe function for 100% partial view, like DT, FT, to check sharpness and noise? We are talking here about the double disasters: faint watermark + large review = image without protection, free way for theft.

Barry, you don't get to see noise in that preview because it is smaller than the original image, so it has only benefits at that size.

And still risk getting caught and outed to the rest of the Microstock world and branded as a thief?

Doubt it.

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have an account to look at the previews. Why make it easier to swipe? What's the point? Shutterstock is already insanely picky about focus and noise, if it's been approved, it's not going to have lots of noise or bad focus.

37,774 Total Members on the forum, over 70,000 contributors and approx 30 complaining, and once again it is about size which goes back to 2 years ago same thing different day.

Updated Shutterstock Watermark Started by Paul Shutterstock, Oct 24 2015 01:30 PM

13,620 views it's 30 complaining went back and forth? :ph34r:

I'm pretty sure you don't have to have an account to look at the previews. Why make it easier to swipe? What's the point? Shutterstock is already insanely picky about focus and noise, if it's been approved, it's not going to have lots of noise or bad focus.

Yes, you don't need to have an account to download images. I just downloaded my image and it looks really unprotected.

stock-photo-mountain-waterfall-beusnita-

Yes, you don't need to have an account to download images. I just downloaded my image and it looks really unprotected.

Is your monitor broken? I admit that busy backgrounds tend to lose the watermark, but it's there, on the bottom and in the water and the logo shows in many spots.

How many of your images and for anyone else, how many images did you have to search to find one that fails, then claim "We're Unprotected"?

Will anyone admit that on most images, it works fine and one some select images, the watermark starts to become less visible? It's not like The Plague, The Plague, all our sales will die...

ps nice beautiful scenic and location shots. Your oldest and first image is pretty stunning! (girl in the water, I'm not sure if it's proper to link to others images?) And look, the watermark just jumps out, all over it.

Yes I'd agree, the large preview encourages unscrupulous people to right click and use un-licensed images. However, the watermark is kind of obvious and shows that they didn't purchase rights. Also I'd like to encourage someone to take one of my images, where the watermark shows and remove it in "minutes" and post here. You have my permission... I'd like to see how the new watermark is honestly easier to remove than the old one, one word, in the middle version?

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?prev_sort_method=undiscovered&prev_sort_method=newest&gallery_id=111418&safesearch=1&sort_method=popular&page=1

Show me one?

Is your monitor broken? I admit that busy backgrounds tend to lose the watermark, but it's there, on the bottom and in the water and the logo shows in many spots.

How many of your images and for anyone else, how many images did you have to search to find one that fails, then claim "We're Unprotected"?

Will anyone admit that on most images, it works fine and one some select images, the watermark starts to become less visible? It's not like The Plague, The Plague, all our sales will die...

ps nice beautiful scenic and location shots. Your oldest and first image is pretty stunning! (girl in the water, I'm not sure if it's proper to link to others images?) And look, the watermark just jumps out, all over it.

Yes I'd agree, the large preview encourages unscrupulous people to right click and use un-licensed images. However, the watermark is kind of obvious and shows that they didn't purchase rights. Also I'd like to encourage someone to take one of my images, where the watermark shows and remove it in "minutes" and post here. You have my permission... I'd like to see how the new watermark is honestly easier to remove than the old one, one word, in the middle version?

http://www.shutterstock.com/cat.mhtml?prev_sort_method=undiscovered&prev_sort_method=newest&gallery_id=111418&safesearch=1&sort_method=popular&page=1

Show me one?

Ok, here you go, with the latest "watermark", free to grab for anyone, bye bye sales....

Took me 1 minute to clean it up.

Free_image.jpg

OK Pete. Heres 2 of your Images. both took me no longer than 3 min and I went to the toilet. your stuff was 1500 Longest side. Don't know if you do this but content aware....Just lasso off anything and as many as you want, Hit delete and gone. really no Brainer  I took your 1500 size Images and put them through Genuine Fractals and they were good to about 3100 Longest side. Thats good enough for a FU^%$*& BiLLboard Man. Is this really what you want?? Maybe you do. I have no Idea. I and Many others do not.  If you don't care about your work and where it goes thats up to you and you don't need this site to do that....Nor does anyone else.

I DO NOT.. I put your work on My website for sale. LOL under sports. LUCKY for you you cannot rt click as you can here. It's not the safest Place But better than Nothing Like we have now. I'll take them down when you tell me to By PM.

On my website below. Under sports.