Update on Shutterstock Watermark Progress

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Issues.     This is part of My Income. This is not a hobby. I could care less about all the V1/v2 whatever crap. I don't care. My Issue and Im sure many others is One thing. "THE LARGE PREVIEW"

PLEASE, PLEASE Shutterstock let us have an opt-in and opt-out choice! I'm begging you! I work so hard on my images and the thought of them just being given away is a blow to my income and heart. There

This whole watermark and gigantic preview situation is so ridicules I now start to think SS is doing this on purpose. It's not possible they are incompetent this much. The question is way? Is this s

Dear shutterstock team. Is there any chance you will make a smaller version of previews. Now those are giant. Too large for just preview.
I have also sent an email with no protection on works with V2 watermark - lots of examples, and haven't got any reply.
And 70% of my works still have no protection at all. Mostly top-sellers I should say!  :(
Please, i'm waiting for your reply 

To our contributor community - 

We have now implemented our new watermark on many of your images, new examples can be viewed here, here and here and we are nearing completion of applying this new watermark to all of your images.

Thank you to all of our contributors who are providing feedback and insights, and to all of our community for your patience as we make this important change.

We will provide additional updates as we complete the roll out of the new watermark on the balance of your images.

Paul Brennan

Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

This version is looking a lot better. Please can you let us know when it is rolled out over all our images. It's only on one of mine so far and I don't want to start uploading again until I'm confident that it is protecting all my images.

This is my v2 or v3 watermark .. but it still fail badly on my images.

You should keep this in mind and improve v4 version to protect many illustrator images.

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-331286954/stock-vector-spring-summer-autumn-and-winter-holiday-season-doodle-icon-of-animal-plant-and-flower-leisure.html?src=awkaEy-Y58Nq7ikHJGlPNw-1-9

I appreciate your comment here which speak for everyone :)

Your examples are indeed better than the V1 (white bottom) previews. I've seen a random sprinkling of my portfolio get the V2 (black bottom) previews. With images uploaded from 2005 through 2015, I can't see any obvious order to how the new ones are coming online. However, I do hope you have been shown the examples of the V2 previews that don't work at at all. Support is just replying with their boilerplate "Thank you for your feedback..." text and it's not clear than anyone is seeing these examples to understand that there are some important gaps in the coverage given by the V2 previews. Here, herehere, here and here are some examples of really poor watermark coverage - essentially useless - on V2 (black bottom) previews.  Light backgrounds, textures (busy, all over patterns) and many vectors seem to have the most problems. If we could at least get an acknowledgement that you've seen that there are still problems and they need to be fixed, even if it takes a few weeks more to roll a fix out, it would be a huge relief to those contributors who are concerned about weak watermarks on their portfolios - some are hit harder than others. They want to resume uploading, but can't until Shutterstock makes a commitment to do something about the remaining problematic areas of the new watermarks.

The original mini-preview - what ruxpriencdiam is confusingly referring to as V1 - isn't at issue here. It's been around for years and it's small. No one has been complaining about that in these recent threads

The issue here is the new enlarged - 1500 pixels on the long edge - preview. That's the one that has come in two versions. V1 has a white bottom and is very weak on many images. V2 has a black bottom and is much improved, but still has some issues.

It is exceedingly hard - and probably not really a worthwhile goal - to have an image that is impossible to clean the watermark from. You just want to make it hard enough to deter the bulk of those who would steal it to use without a license. There are better watermarks already out there for large previews - watermarks that let the buyer get a good look at what they're buying but still protect contributor content from the casual thieves who find it in a google search and grab it to use without licensing

No the new one is version three, first came the original V-1 with a white footer then came V-2 with a black footer and now we are up to V-3 with a black footer.

And if everyone is complaining about the size then they all forgot about the search size increase from some two years ago when SS increased the size preview while implementing the color search called spectrum!

Spectrum was the first larger scaled preview rolled out .

Don't be crying about the large size now when it has already been in place for over two years already.

Without spending a lot of time looking at multiple images, at a glance, I only see one version of the black footer.

But, to answer your question, yes, IMHO this

stock-photo-image-to-promote-breast-canc

is better than this (and I'm not referring to the size - specifically the watermark.)

And I have other images where the watermark is even more faint to almost invisible. I stumbled across one or two older images of mine that have the new black footer, but there are still plenty that do not.

My main concern is why it's taking so long to implement this across the board when we were promised a few days. But, like I said earlier, my perception of what a few days means is apparently different from SS's.

Sorry Barry, there is no V3. This new update is just a reminder that V2 is here to stay.

Here are examples of V2 provided by SS, the first from 24. Nov, the second from this thread. They look the same to me, compare, count all elements and correct me if I'm wrong.

stock-photo-aviation-34825273.jpgstock-photo-festive-elegant-abstract-bac

No see the little grey box around the shutterstock O? That is V-3 if it doesn't have the grey box around the O it is V-2 and a white footer is V-1

Without spending a lot of time looking at multiple images, at a glance, I only see one version of the black footer.

But, to answer your question, yes, IMHO this

is better than this (and I'm not referring to the size - specifically the watermark.)

And I have other images where the watermark is even more faint to almost invisible. I stumbled across one or two older images of mine that have the new black footer, but there are still plenty that do not.

My main concern is why it's taking so long to implement this across the board when we were promised a few days. But, like I said earlier, my perception of what a few days means is apparently different from SS's.

This V-1 with a white footer.

Yours as well as many others are still waiting on the update.

Sorry Barry, there is no V3. This new update is just a reminder that V2 is here to stay.

Here are examples of V2 provided by SS, the first from 24. Nov, the second from this thread. They look the same to me, compare, count all elements and correct me if I'm wrong.

stock-photo-aviation-34825273.jpgstock-photo-festive-elegant-abstract-bac

on V2 was no sign of the copyright, but this is quickly corrected. October 26-27. Although now... I'm not sure that it was not on the V2. No other differences.

No see the little grey box around the shutterstock O? That is V-3 if it doesn't have the grey box around the O it is V-2 and a white footer is V-1

I see 4 gray boxes around what you call O, in fact those are the same elements as on each grid intersection. They are exactly on the same place on each of the above images. Why are you so stubborn, admit that you are wrong.

Large size preview released in Instant not spectrum so no complaining of large size previews that were implemented years ago that everyone already cried about back then and the world moved on!

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123018&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123074&start=0

This V-1 with a white footer.

Yours as well as many others are still waiting on the update.

Of course! I'm just showing you that on that particular image, yes - I prefer the old watermark.

That's my point - the white footer is the one that's so horrible and the fact that it is still live on so many images is what I'm complaining about. Until that's gone, then a great number of images are not protected.  I understand they are "working on it", but since many of my images are still hanging out there, I'm a little impatient. This is longer than "a few days" in my perspective.

I see 4 gray boxes around what you call O, in fact those are the same elements as on each grid intersection. They are exactly on the same place on each of the above images. Why I you so stubborn, admit that you are wrong.

If I am wrong big deal!

So you too then think with all the coverage on the image that this is worse then what has been in place for years?

Get real.

And no buyers are not gonna steal images and risk loosing their accounts!

And if they do then they are fools and I somehow think they are not!

So this all goes back to the regular thieves that are everywhere.

That was V2 on the 24. Nov. if you are talking about the SS logo, and that is the final one.

Shutterstock - V1 & V2, Shutterstock © - V2.1 & V3, yet I did not see at which stage of the implementation process, they began to use compressed images degrade the quality of the preview. Perhaps this is the know-how V3.

By itself, the watermark on the V2 and V3 is no different. Everyone looks at the watermark.

Large size preview released in Instant not spectrum so no complaining of large size previews that were implemented years ago that everyone already cried about back then and the world moved on!

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123018&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123074&start=0

What do you want to demonstrate with these old threads, we don't have your time to read all non important things here.

Don't mislead people, just say it: THERE IS NO V3!!!