Update on Shutterstock Watermark Progress

To our contributor community - 

We have now implemented our new watermark on many of your images, new examples can be viewed here, here and here and we are nearing completion of applying this new watermark to all of your images.

Thank you to all of our contributors who are providing feedback and insights, and to all of our community for your patience as we make this important change.

We will provide additional updates as we complete the roll out of the new watermark on the balance of your images.

Paul Brennan

Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My Issues.     This is part of My Income. This is not a hobby. I could care less about all the V1/v2 whatever crap. I don't care. My Issue and Im sure many others is One thing. "THE LARGE PREVIEW"

PLEASE, PLEASE Shutterstock let us have an opt-in and opt-out choice! I'm begging you! I work so hard on my images and the thought of them just being given away is a blow to my income and heart. There

This whole watermark and gigantic preview situation is so ridicules I now start to think SS is doing this on purpose. It's not possible they are incompetent this much. The question is way? Is this s

To our contributor community - 

We have now implemented our new watermark on many of your images, new examples can be viewed here, here and here and we are nearing completion of applying this new watermark to all of your images.

Thank you to all of our contributors who are providing feedback and insights, and to all of our community for your patience as we make this important change.

We will provide additional updates as we complete the roll out of the new watermark on the balance of your images.

Paul Brennan

Shutterstock's VP of Content Operations

Looking great.

Your examples are indeed better than the V1 (white bottom) previews. I've seen a random sprinkling of my portfolio get the V2 (black bottom) previews. With images uploaded from 2005 through 2015, I can't see any obvious order to how the new ones are coming online.

However, I do hope you have been shown the examples of the V2 previews that don't work at at all. Support is just replying with their boilerplate "Thank you for your feedback..." text and it's not clear than anyone is seeing these examples to understand that there are some important gaps in the coverage given by the V2 previews.

Here, herehere, here and here are some examples of really poor watermark coverage - essentially useless - on V2 (black bottom) previews.  Light backgrounds, textures (busy, all over patterns) and many vectors seem to have the most problems.

If we could at least get an acknowledgement that you've seen that there are still problems and they need to be fixed, even if it takes a few weeks more to roll a fix out, it would be a huge relief to those contributors who are concerned about weak watermarks on their portfolios - some are hit harder than others. They want to resume uploading, but can't until Shutterstock makes a commitment to do something about the remaining problematic areas of the new watermarks.

All those O's and O's in gray boxes along with all the grey lines and then add all of SHUTTERSTOCK spread across an image would be pretty hard to EASILY remove them all and makes it pretty hard for anyone trying.

Besides does everyone here really think buyers are gonna risk having their accounts being terminated forever by SS for image theft?

Get real.

And if you are just worried about the average Joe stealing them then nothing has changed at all.

This is your image , you still like the watermark? Don't forget to click on it for fantastic unprotected high resolution :)

Free for anyone. For easy download SS offering even "save" icon in the bottom lright corner.

stock-photo-new-york-may-the-new-york-st

This is still V-1.

Did you miss this?

we are nearing completion of applying this new watermark to all of your images.

So once all is completed we are to all be changed to V-3 even those who are at V-1 or V-2 now.

Ok

this is the newest one, you see any difference? BTW this is Kristala's image

Besides, do you think we should accept that 50 million images had (and have) ridiculous "watermark" for over a week?

stock-photo-fashionable-doodle-girl-2608

Sure do it is covered more now than it ever was before even going back to before they made the change and only had the big shutterstock across the middle.

Compared to this way better!

stock-photo-fashionable-doodle-girl-2608

I need to learn? LOL Who are you?

It DOES not make a difference which version, ALL are terrible!

Look this is the newest,  my image, resolution almost 1600 pixels. I can clean this "watermark" in 2 minutes.

Do you get it?

stock-photo-young-girl-enjoys-summer-day

And your 2 minute cleanup will make it look like crap!

And this one would be ten times easier and probably take less than 30 seconds so did you complain about this one as well?

stock-photo-young-girl-enjoys-summer-day

Sorry Barry but I can't continue this pointless discussion with you.

Looks like it went straight to the point and that being the new design covers far more than the old one ever did and no one complained about the old design yet the newer design everyone wants to complain about.

Looks like it went straight to the point and that being the new design covers far more than the old one ever did and no one complained about the old design yet the newer design everyone wants to complain about.

You are missing the point so badly I would need like an hour to explain it to you. But my time is precious, so you would have to actually pay me for this hour. Do you want my paypal link?

The original mini-preview - what ruxpriencdiam is confusingly referring to as V1 - isn't at issue here. It's been around for years and it's small. No one has been complaining about that in these recent threads

The issue here is the new enlarged - 1500 pixels on the long edge - preview. That's the one that has come in two versions. V1 has a white bottom and is very weak on many images. V2 has a black bottom and is much improved, but still has some issues.

It is exceedingly hard - and probably not really a worthwhile goal - to have an image that is impossible to clean the watermark from. You just want to make it hard enough to deter the bulk of those who would steal it to use without a license. There are better watermarks already out there for large previews - watermarks that let the buyer get a good look at what they're buying but still protect contributor content from the casual thieves who find it in a google search and grab it to use without licensing

@ Barry

As you are playing the role of the interpreter for SS here, could you please give us an example of what you call V3? Nobody following step by step these threads has seen a V3 here.

I think you have the wrong glasses on.

And no, V2 is still not visible enough on many images like on this one:

stock-photo-white-lace-embroidery-over-b

or this one (V2)

stock-photo-black-lace-fabric-texture-wi