I am a scientist  and I shoot a lot of Nature pictures (animals and plants). However, some of my pictures have been rejected because I used their scientific names (which are usually written in Latin or Greek) as keywords. Since it is a very common and sanctioned practice in the scientific world to refer to an animal or a plant by their scientific names when searching for a picture or referring to it, how does Shutterstock instruct their reviewers as to those scientific names? What is the policy in this case and how does Shutterstock educate their reviewers in that regard?

I am a scientist  and I shoot a lot of Nature pictures (animals and plants). However, some of my pictures have been rejected because I used their scientific names (which are usually written in Latin or Greek) as keywords. Since it is a very common and sanctioned practice in the scientific world to refer to an animal or a plant by their scientific names when searching for a picture or referring to it, how does Shutterstock instruct their reviewers as to those scientific names? What is the policy in this case and how does Shutterstock educate their reviewers in that regard?

Dear Henrique,

Your images are most likely not being rejected, because we accept scientific names, more likely they are picked up by the Content Editor as possibly being the wrong word.

If you receive a message in the Content Editor that some of the images contain errors, please click “continue” to go back to the editor, and correct each of the images that are marked in red (if necessary; If all text is correct, just select and hit submit again.) After you have done this for all images marked in red, select the images and click on "Submit for Review" again.

• 5 months later...

Dear Henrique,

Your images are most likely not being rejected, because we accept scientific names, more likely they are picked up by the Content Editor as possibly being the wrong word.

If you receive a message in the Content Editor that some of the images contain errors, please click “continue” to go back to the editor, and correct each of the images that are marked in red (if necessary; If all text is correct, just select and hit submit again.) After you have done this for all images marked in red, select the images and click on "Submit for Review" again.

I find this to be false.  As a scientist myself every time I put in a scientific name it normally gets rejected.  I have gotten this before as a rejection Title--Titles must be in English, may not contain unnecessary information and must relate to the image.  No offense to the reviewer but I think I know more about proper scientific names than they do.  A simple google search will also yield a result that the animal in question matches the scientific name.  I do know you have to force the Content Editor to submit that its not an error to get to be review.  I think the OP is talking about after this step.

It's as Vincent outlined above. The first time, the content editor will flag the words it thinks are incorrectly spelled but once you've checked that they are correctly spelled (whether in Latin or whatever), resubmit and the second time it will accept them. It's the same as words like 'closeup' which the editor will flag and suggest 'close up'. You can choose to ignore the correction or use both 'spellings' and the second time around, it will accept them. The content editor is more like a friendly help/suggestion to ensure that you don't make silly spelling mistakes like entering 'closup' as keyword.

As to reviewers rejecting for use of non-English descriptions, that is a problem which can only be resolved by resubmission and requesting a second look by a knowledgeable/senior reviewer. That can be a pain.

Related to this topic, whenever I try to put latin scientific keywords I get errors, so I don't understand how to add those keywords when uploading?

You just ignore the error and click on "continue" and it will go through.

I always add Latin names of animals and plants to my keywords, and sometimes to my titles (descriptions). I've never had a problem with them.

I have found that if I put the Latin (scientific) name in the keyword section, I also get the rejection by the reviewer for non English words.  (I am not confusing a REJECTION with being flagged by the content editor for spelling, which I often ignore, because the content editor dictionary is incomplete).  So now I only put the Latin name in the title, in parentheses, after the common name, and leave it completely out of the keyword section.  This works for me.  I don't think many buyers search using the scientific name, and besides, title words are picked up in searches, anyway (independent observation).

I find this to be false.  As a scientist myself every time I put in a scientific name it normally gets rejected.  I have gotten this before as a rejection Title--Titles must be in English, may not contain unnecessary information and must relate to the image.  No offense to the reviewer but I think I know more about proper scientific names than they do.  A simple google search will also yield a result that the animal in question matches the scientific name.  I do know you have to force the Content Editor to submit that its not an error to get to be review.  I think the OP is talking about after this step.

I have also received this rejection in the past, although not recently. More of the reviewers seem to be aware that the keywords are scientific Latin root names. Some of them are now in the SS database for keywords too because when I start typing the word, they show up in the pop down box below. So that is progress too. Unfortunately, you can only re-submit it or hit reply to sender on the rejection email so it goes to support and they will give you a case number to re-submit with (which is a waste of everyone's time but sometimes the only viable route).

Part of the problem is that the scientific name includes the genus and the species.  Two words.  The keyword list is alphabetized, so I can understand how this may be confusing to the reviewer.  By adding the scientific name in parentheses, after the common name, there is no room for misinterpretation.  I never get that rejection anymore.  Just sayin.

stock-photo-a-pacific-gopher-snake-pituo

http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-340310612/stock-photo-a-pacific-gopher-snake-pituophis-catenifer-is-poised-to-strike-in-the-hills-of-monterey.html?src=H_Ik2MljxXOvbiuBkGuwBQ-3-96

• 4 months later...

It appears Shutterstock have a reject automated system - not human reviewer - that scans much like a spellchecker at point of submit (happens inside 3 seconds so its now definitely not the reviewer). And it still rejects just about any latin name, even when the image is listed in category animal/wildlife.
Result: I cannot submit an image with latin name in either title/desctiption or keywords - it just won't allow me to submit it.
Any ideas please?

I did a quick check - I can search for and get results for similar latin names to what's causing the rejection in my image submission, but I don't get that many results (like 7) compared to the colloquial name. Seems like some folks are getting lucky with the latin names, or maybe SS have changed the allowed list of keywords?
Suggestion to SS - maybe allow unusual words with the prefix "(latin name "

It appears Shutterstock have a reject automated system - not human reviewer - that scans much like a spellchecker at point of submit (happens inside 3 seconds so its now definitely not the reviewer). And it still rejects just about any latin name, even when the image is listed in category animal/wildlife.

Result: I cannot submit an image with latin name in either title/desctiption or keywords - it just won't allow me to submit it.

Any ideas please?

I did a quick check - I can search for and get results for similar latin names to what's causing the rejection in my image submission, but I don't get that many results (like 7) compared to the colloquial name. Seems like some folks are getting lucky with the latin names, or maybe SS have changed the allowed list of keywords?

Suggestion to SS - maybe allow unusual words with the prefix "(latin name "

It's the spell checker. All you need to do is check everything is as you want it, don't change anything if you are happy with it, and submit again. If you didn't change anything it will go through. If you did change something you may have to repeat the process, but it will go through. 

I've been using Latin names for my photos for years - both in Title/Description and keywords.

Example: http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-391202728/stock-photo-adult-male-cougar-puma-concolor-crouches-on-rock-captive-animal.html?src=ku75P6uKACkye52KSFXjqA-1-1

Description: Adult Male Cougar (Puma concolor) Crouches on Rock - captive animal

Keywords: mountain-lion, crouch, puma, concolor, natural, mammal, autumn, horizontal, critter, creature, outside, feline, season, cat, fall, outdoors, catamount, panther, nature, cougar, animal, wildlife, puma-concolor

Always get rejections when uploading for spelling, but that gives me a 2nd peek to make sure I didn't spell anything stupid wrong. Almost always get accepted in the end. I've never had a reviewer rejection for title/keywords.