Illustrations of celebrities

Policy:

• Illustrations of celebrities, politicians and other public figures may now be accepted as an editorial vector or illustration with the proper editorial caption and being designated as editorial.

Guidelines:

• Depictions of celebrities, politicians and other public figures should be accurately rendered, with or without exaggerations, including caricatures.
  • Depictions of celebrities, politicians and other public figures that are defamatory, offensive or sexual in nature are not acceptable.
  • Do not base any illustrations or vectors on images you do not own (ever!).
  • We do not accept illustrations of celebrities in character. (For example, we can accept an illustration of Keanu Reeves, but we still cannot accept an illustration of Keanu Reeves in the role of NEO.)
  • For more info, please watch this Shuttertalk that outlines our entire editorial illustration/vector policy including this new update.

So, to be clear. If you don't have a photo you took (own copyright on) of George W. Bush... you may not upload any GWB illustrations? 

You can upload an illustration of GWB if you make it yourself without reference image.

However, just like with any other illustrations, you must own the rights to the reference image if you want to use it. You cannot take another person's product and claim it as your own.

Hi Vincent, how about keywording and depiction with awards? Can we put the keywords such as the title of the movie which he starred on? Like for example Star Wars? If he is a winner of an Oscar, is it ok to put Oscars winner as a keyword or a drawing with him or her holding the Oscar trophy or say the Moon man trophy of MTV?

Thanks

Hi Vincent, how about keywording and depiction with awards? Can we put the keywords such as the title of the movie which he starred on? Like for example Star Wars? If he is a winner of an Oscar, is it ok to put Oscars winner as a keyword or a drawing with him or her holding the Oscar trophy or say the Moon man trophy of MTV?

Thanks

It is hard to comment on this in general terms without a specific image but in general keywords have to always be relevant to the image and describe what is in the image, not some association that is unrelated to the specific image. 

It is hard to comment on this in general terms without a specific image but in general keywords have to always be relevant to the image and describe what is in the image, not some association that is unrelated to the specific image. 

Thank you Vincent :) All the best!

You can upload an illustration of GWB if you make it yourself without reference image.

However, just like with any other illustrations, you must own the rights to the reference image if you want to use it. You cannot take another person's product and claim it as your own.

So, if you draw from memory you're good but if you refer to any photos (that you didn't take) no dice? That's what I figured you met I just wanted it as absolutely clear as possible because goodness knows the microstock community has had people use our images in inappropriate ways. 

If someone does use someone else's image as a reference can they get a property release and be in the clear? 

ETA: I don't draw people, so this probably doesn't apply to me AT ALL but I like things crystal clear. ;-) 

We do not require a property release or reference image for celebrity illustrations.

Photos of celebrities are as publicly accessible to us as they are to you, so we will know if the image is yours or not. Getting permission from the photographer to use a celebrity image is not very a plausible scenario in this context, but if it would happen to you then send us an email in advance and we will review it that way.

Thanks Vincent. It was more for the artwork itself than the source of the artwork. It's a painting. I add a release to the commercial ones so thought editorial would require one too.

Not necessary.

The rules are different for editorial illustrations as they are for commercial with regards to releases.And as you noted: it is not even possible to add a release

I've just had my first celebrity editorial illustration rejected: "Editorial Vector / Illustration Requirements -- Image does not meet our requirements for editorial vector/illustration submissions."

I've watched the webinar and thought I had everything correct so I don't know where I've gone wrong. Can you point me in the right direction?

Title: June 4th 2012: Illustration of Kylie Minogue singing at Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Concert in London, part of the celebrations marking 60 years of her reign.

I can't seem to attach the image. The batch number is Batch ID: 82146254 (11/16/2015) and it is a pen & ink portrait.

I included 'illustration' in my keywords but not 'editorial'. In case that has made a difference?

I've just had my first celebrity editorial illustration rejected: "Editorial Vector / Illustration Requirements -- Image does not meet our requirements for editorial vector/illustration submissions."

I've watched the webinar and thought I had everything correct so I don't know where I've gone wrong. Can you point me in the right direction?

Title: June 4th 2012: Illustration of Kylie Minogue singing at Queen Elizabeth II's Diamond Jubilee Concert in London, part of the celebrations marking 60 years of her reign.

I can't seem to attach the image. The batch number is Batch ID: 82146254 (11/16/2015) and it is a pen & ink portrait.

I included 'illustration' in my keywords but not 'editorial'. In case that has made a difference?

Can you write in to our support with that? This way we will have a ticket number and case number to give you in case that is necessary

Ok will do, thanks.

Thanks. Since the answer is relevant to anyone reading this I'll reply it here.

So the issue at hand is that the illustration was drawn from of a t.v. show, which means that you did not own the original it was based on. Now, of course it is hard to make an illustration of a celebrity and own the original (unless you are Annie Liebovitz I guess) so what we do allow is for you to use an original as inspiration, but you cannot just make a copy.

why do we have to be so strict? here's some reading materials:

http://www.wired.com/2011/01/hope-image-flap/