If you are having issues uploading with FTP

Hello,

We regularly hear about issues some of you are having uploading with FTP. In order for us to solve it we need some information from you because usually there is no one easy way to solve this problem (it often depends on your location, hardware, and other factors, not just our servers).

So if you are having problems, please contact us by answering the list of questions below. You can do it either in this forum post or by contacting us directly. Only with an answer to each of these questions can we better determine what the issue is and how to solve it.

questionnaire:

1. user ID: 

2. date & time of upload: 

3. country you uploaded from: 

4. type of content (choose any): footage/jpeg/eps 

5. number of images or clips per upload: 

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): 

7. reason for upload failure (choose one):
- Slow upload 
- Upload never completes 
- Upload completes but I don't see it in content editor 
- Other (please explain) 
  • Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hello,   We regularly hear about issues some of you are having uploading with FTP. In order for us to solve it we need some information from you because usually there is no one easy way to solve thi

Hello friends,   Having problems for the last 2 months so I've decided to come here   1. user ID:     5479   2. date & time of upload: 19 december 2015 (and before)   3. country you uploaded

Posted Images

1. user ID: 534610

2. date & time of upload: 10/26/15  3:35 PM ET

3. country you uploaded from: US

4. type of content (choose any): JPEG

5. number of images or clips per upload: 1

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): 15 MB

7. reason for upload failure (choose one):  Upload completes but I don't see it in content editor 

Thank you, keep them coming.

pabrady63,

I would ask you to please give the upload some time to show in the content editor. It is normal for the servers to take some time to process the files, so if an upload is not immediately showing in the content editor it may actually not be a problem, just a delay.

I am in Ukraine too

These last week I have noticed slowdown too when uploading footage (or big files), not only on Shutterstock, but on P5 and 123RF too.

I think that it could be a problem with the ISP (I am with Volia).

@ Vincent: I think that in you list you should ask the ISP name too; it can be useful from a statistic point of view.

Vincent can you tell us when you consider a problem to be on your side??since the only agency with a slow speed upload issue is ss and all others have no issue i believe that the problem is on your side...we all know that we have been having several upload issue here from broken thumbs to failed connections and so on...now this slow speed that makes 4k uploads impossibile...should we go back to hd??

Vincent can you tell us when you consider a problem to be on your side??since the only agency with a slow speed upload issue is ss and all others have no issue i believe that the problem is on your side...we all know that we have been having several upload issue here from broken thumbs to failed connections and so on...now this slow speed that makes 4k uploads impossibile...should we go back to hd??

A problem is considered to be on our end when we see proof that it is on our end, not just when it seems it may be.

Hello shutterstock,

I try since 3 days to upload some footage, but I can't get it on the server. 
I upload also other stuff to other servers, no problems there. 

1. user ID: 1580477

2. 07. - 09. Nov

3. country you uploaded from: germany

4. type of content (choose any): footage / ProRes422HQ UHD

5. number of images or clips per upload: 1

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): 4,5 GB 

- Slow upload 
- Upload never completes 

file transfer fails constantly, and always after a different time, my last try has ended after 3453sec at about 25% of the file.
I use FileZilla.

Many thanks for help, 

Emanuel
Munich/Germany 

Emanuel again here, 

since today it seems upload-speeds to SS are normal again (from germany), fine!

But my file couldn't got completely uploaded to the SS server because it was to big with 4.5GB - OK, upload stopped @ around 4.2GB.
(I was searching a long time for getting the Info that 4GB is the max-max, is it?) 
(And I got a proper notification finally about the not allowed file-size - fine.)

But, my file is less than 1m (55s) coded in ProRes422HQ and it's UHD. 

It's not possible to encode a 55sec clip into ProRes 422HQ in UHD to under 4GB - is it? 
Because it`s all about a MoCo TimeLapse here, and it would weaken the clip once cut, I don't want to cut it. 

I load up this clip to date to a other agency which accepts 5GB for UHD footage, and this makes totally sense! 
Because a 1min clip - in UHD, compressed to ProRes 422HQ (what is liked by SS) - ends up between 4 to 5 GB's. 

Really guys, if you like UHD (4K) footage and if you like clips with a max duration of 1min, …, you also should accept up to 5GB in FileSize, everything else is quite confusing for us. 
Am I right here?

Very sorry if not! 

All the best from Munich and best greetings,

Emanuel 

Thanks for uploading is fast again now - after quite a few days - and it's really-really fast now - have you improved/changed something? 

hi, 

same issues as above with large jpeg, 4k footage and HD footage, windows and OS X platform has the same slow upload. 

i know shuterstock has a lot of contributors nowadays, but you should really make a move. fotolia, pond5 and several other sites do not have this issue. i also understand that you have several other things to attend to but this one should be the first. contributors cannot upload their stuff. 

Emanuel - i think you should not upload 1 min clips, or more. 4.5 gigabyte, that is huge...it is like being against yourself. also downloaders use only small duration in a footage, or they make it loopable.

this is off topic, but the slow upload rate, the bugs and the problems with shutterstock is due to the large amount of contributors and the larger amount of unneeded data on shutterstock. i always look at the newest photos and videos accepted on the site and i can't really imagine how can shutterstock accept so much "wrong" media. i thought there was a certain level of quality...i am not judging anyone here, i was a beginner too some years ago...it is just outrageous that 4 out of 5 times i get focus/poor lighting rejection for all of my photos uploaded in the batch (30-40 photos). cuz it is evident that they are not. after i resubmit them they get accepted mostly. are you using software to determine the quality of the photo? if so please fine tune it because it is not working.  i can teven imagine how can you maintain properly a working system with this much data on it. 

i not a big voice here, i am a contributor in 1.x million contributors on shutterstock, but please,  fix your upload speed. at least...

thank you. 

Hello! The same problem with slow FTP speed. And also from Ukraine.Please help!!

1. user ID: 1070501

2. 20.10 - present

3. country you uploaded from: Ukraine

5. number of images or clips per upload: 100

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): 1GB

7. reason for upload failure (choose one): very slow upload (20kb/sec)

Thank you talk for providing the information. we are very interested in resolving the issue, otherwise why would we ask you to send us this information? Unfortunately it is not so simple to resolve.

Look at it this way: yes there are about 10-20 people in this post (and probably some more not here) that are having issues, but there are also thousands of contributors who send us content via FTP every day without any issue. 

With the specific questions we are asking you to answer we think we will be better able to find out why your downloads are having issues while the majority is not. 

Same problem here with very slow FTP speed.

1. user ID: 1350220

2. from the middle of October (maybe before) till now

3. country you uploaded from: Ukraine

5. number of images or clips per upload: it depends

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): from 1MB to 5 MB per file

7. reason for upload failure (choose one): very slow upload (25kb/sec)

(November 11) I have problems uploading directly from the site, 3/4 images fail…
I have similar issues since last week.

(November 12) again problems uploading directly from the site.
I am not sure that it is an ftp issue only, are you?

1. user ID: 1322473

2. from the beginning of October  till now

3. country you uploaded from: italy

4. type of content (choose any): footage mostly 4k

5. number of images or clips per upload: last try 1 footage(it was just a try)

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): 350mb

7. reason for upload failure (choose one): very slow upload 35kb/sec) after 5 min i tried the same footage on another agency and it's been uploaded well at 120kb/sec
it happens to failure randomly while uploading
1. user ID: 3733937

2. date & time of upload: 11. 12. 2015 21.00 till 23.00

3. country you uploaded from: Serbia

4. type of content (choose any): footage

5. number of images or clips per upload: /

6. approximate size of the files (in MB or GB): /

It may have something to do with me being a new contributor, just today my account was approved for upload. I did everything that was asked from me to be able to use FTP for footage upload and every single time (filezilla) when I try to connect I get this 

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Command: PWD
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: TYPE I
Response: 200 Type set to I
Command: PORT 192,168,0,156,251,136
Response: 200 PORT command successful
Command: MLSD
Response: 425 Unable to build data connection: Connection timed out
Error: Failed to retrieve directory listing

Thanks

Sonja

It's working :) Awesome! 

---------------------------------

update

------------

Not working, it's giving that error again and when it manage to connect, the speed is between  50 and 60 KB per sec. First clip was around 800 KB/s. 

Maybe this will help:

https://forum.filezilla-project.org/viewtopic.php?t=7315