Basic question about shooting footage

okay, gang.... I'm just a bit curious about submitting footage.  What kind of equipment is required for shooting clips that would be acceptable for uploading?   Is it possible to get usable footage from a mid level camcorder such as the Panasonic Hc-V750?  Do you have to use editing software to get the video from camera to Shutterstock?

I basically have no clue about this topic but am considering purchasing a video camera for other purposes and was just wondering if it would be usable for this as well... if I should ever decide to pursue that option.  I'm guessing that a better quality camera/ recorder would be required but just checking...

thanks for any feedback,

Marie

Hi Marie - Right now I am using both of my DSLRs for my footage. A mid range camcorder is fine for doing footage. You can also get all kinds of other equipment to do different types of footage such as panning, tracking and so on. But you definitely do not need to get the top of the line camera.

As far as editing you can go from anything starting out with the free MPEG Streamclip to the very expensive Final Cut. All you basically need is something that can convert it to one of the acceptable formats. The people in the footage forum can help as well.

For what I use I have not had any of my clips rejected.

thanks, Dave!  Have you had any luck with footage sales? 

It's definitely not a big interest for me but I suppose it bears consideration.

I still haven't upgraded from my D 80 and it doesn't have video capability so I suppose at some point, when I do give in and upgrade, that I'll have that option as well.  I'm just curious if it's worth the effort...

worth the effort?? well, The biggest Mistake I made was not getting In from Day One. and yes that camera is fine. remember One important thing. your doing footage Clips. Your not making Movies here. you don't need big complicated editing software unless you wanna go broke or spend Months driving yourself crazy Learning stuff. Im doing footage now about 3 years and I COMPLETELY way overthought this stuff. Your camcorder is perfect for this. Hit record on 30Frames a second 1080P auto everything and count to 15 and hit stop. thats it. That camera is pretty much Like My camcorder and it shoots to AVCHD. that has to be converted to .MOV for uploading.

Just write me or gimme a call and I'll walk ya through it. Like I said I way overthought it. and bought way to much stuff I sold later. No need whatsoever. and to me DSLR video Is a PITA. Fine for B-roll on a bigger project your gonna be editing together. Not for stock. I have the Panasonic HS900 almost identical as yours. all My footage is shot with it. I convert my HD to Prorez 422 for best quality. lots of cheap converters out there. Just Like stills, It ain't the camera. It's about your useable concepts and knowing You.....You should do very well. I paid for all my stuff many times over. I have a lot of stuff. Sliders,Jibs,Ext Monitors,Follow focus. Only thing you will need also is a fluid Head for your tripod. write me , I have a great, Very inexpensive one.

thanks, Dave!  Have you had any luck with footage sales? 

It's definitely not a big interest for me but I suppose it bears consideration.

I still haven't upgraded from my D 80 and it doesn't have video capability so I suppose at some point, when I do give in and upgrade, that I'll have that option as well.  I'm just curious if it's worth the effort...

Yes I have had success with them. They don't sell everyday but I have a couple of thousand made since I started it.

If your camera does not have video then I would go with the camcorder. Laurin or the people over in footage can give you some ideas on which to get.

Thanks so much, Laurin and Dave.  I appreciate the replies and I'll definitely take you up on your offer to help when I get that far along.

I haven't explored footage at all.  How much do you make for a footage download? 

As Laurin says it is like images. I have had some that sold for $20.00 and my biggest I think was around $200