Taras Kushnir

Xpiks - open source software for microstocker

Is there any way to turn off the smooth scrolling in 1.3? In old versions I could use the scroll wheel to move up image by image but now even the slightest turn of the wheel scrolls up or down by several images and makes it more of a pain to use than it is worth.

Not really. Is it in Windows you scroll by several images at once?

Also you can try to navigate using Tab or moving the scroll by mouse.

(the scroll "improvement" was that when many files are opened it allows you to scroll through them more quickly. it adapts automatically, but in previous action this was more painful)

Is there any way to turn off the smooth scrolling in 1.3? In old versions I could use the scroll wheel to move up image by image but now even the slightest turn of the wheel scrolls up or down by several images and makes it more of a pain to use than it is worth.

Also.. I don't want to be the guy "it works on my computer", but I tried Xpiks under Windows 10, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x32. Opened > 10 files, did usual release testing. I didn't notice any unintended scrolling. It was just.. usual.

To summarize that. Maybe you really have some a bit different wheel sensivity settings in Windows?

Anyway, can you please record a screencast or smth to show me what irritates you so I can understand better how does it look like and what exactly is needed to change.

Also.. I don't want to be the guy "it works on my computer", but I tried Xpiks under Windows 10, Windows 7 x64 and Windows 7 x32. Opened > 10 files, did usual release testing. I didn't notice any unintended scrolling. It was just.. usual.

To summarize that. Maybe you really have some a bit different wheel sensivity settings in Windows?

Anyway, can you please record a screencast or smth to show me what irritates you so I can understand better how does it look like and what exactly is needed to change.

It's not a massive issue but it was the first thing I noticed after upgrading. Try it with a hundred images or so and you'll find that even a small turn of the wheel can cause it to scroll through a significant number of images in a sort of animated way which I find a little off putting and continue scrolling for a second or so after I've let go of the wheel. Yes the old system was a bit more jerky but it meant you could scroll down a couple images at a time accurately without accidentally zooming past the image you wanted. It may be something I can just get used to but it seems more flashy and less functional to me.

I don't know if I turned off an 'animated scrolling' option in Windows 10 (it's the sort of thing I would turn off) but if you scroll through a Windows folder or any program it is just as jerky as Xpiks used to be so the lack of smooth animation on scrolling doesn't seem like a problem. My mouse does have a smooth scroll setting but I had to turn it off as it was causing problems with 3D software so perhaps this is why I notice it more than other people. This system may just want to have a slightly higher tolerance for scroll wheel turns to allow moving down by one image at a time before it goes into the full scrolling animation.

Taras, just a small word to tell you that the new version works perfectly fine :) Many thanks for all the improvment. It sounds that the display is much more agreable for me ! Just the scrolling buttons which are a little bit difficult to get, but that is the only problem I could face :)

Taras, just a small word to tell you that the new version works perfectly fine :) Many thanks for all the improvment. It sounds that the display is much more agreable for me ! Just the scrolling buttons which are a little bit difficult to get, but that is the only problem I could face :)

You're welcome!

Can you please elaborate on the scrolling buttons. What do you mean by that?

the scrolling bars, sorry :-) They are thin. Would be amaizing to have a more easy manageable scrolling bar on the side of keywords.

And the size of the keywords that you can adapt in the settings... that's a wonderful improvment you made! Thanks!

Just an idea for another version... maybe it would be nice to be able to submit a part of the batch which is keyworded on screen, and continue to work on the other part of the same files on screen ? It could be a little bit quicker to see the files appeared on SS, as we always have to wait a little bit. And while the files are appearing, we could continue to work on the other part of the files ? 

Just an idea for another version... maybe it would be nice to be able to submit a part of the batch which is keyworded on screen, and continue to work on the other part of the same files on screen ? It could be a little bit quicker to see the files appeared on SS, as we always have to wait a little bit. And while the files are appearing, we could continue to work on the other part of the files ? 

Hi

It's not possible at the moment with Xpiks to autosubmit "ready" files, but what is possible for you is to set a filter in the filter box as "x:empty" and you will see only files which have no metadata inside (which are "empty"). So when you will edit them they will disappear from the workflow (until you will clean the filter). Maybe this can help you visually a bit.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!

Request :)

Is is possible to have a drag and drop function in the keywords section so we can reorder them? 

Hope so. Cheers :)

Hi Linda

Unfortunately keywords drag'n'drop is not in the priority at the moment. Please consider using plain text editing for that purpose.

Hopefully, this will be done in future.

Hi Linda

Unfortunately keywords drag'n'drop is not in the priority at the moment. Please consider using plain text editing for that purpose.

Hopefully, this will be done in future.

It would be a nice feature to have, but not essential. Glad it is on the radar for the future though :)

Just an idea - and probably one you've already thought of but have you got any plans for Xpiks to keep track of images that have been uploaded and to where?

A database would work or just an option to add 'Uploaded to Shutterstock, Uploaded to...' etc in the comments section to make them easily searchable in Windows. Currently I drop things into separate folders to keep track of what has and hasn't been uploaded.

Just an idea - and probably one you've already thought of but have you got any plans for Xpiks to keep track of images that have been uploaded and to where?

A database would work or just an option to add 'Uploaded to Shutterstock, Uploaded to...' etc in the comments section to make them easily searchable in Windows. Currently I drop things into separate folders to keep track of what has and hasn't been uploaded.

yep agree - this would be fantastic. 

Thank you for this tool - it is very handy

When I keyword sometimes they are randomly reordered. I think it's when I add keywords to more than one image at a time. Anyone know exactly what's going on so i can avoid it? Or can it be changed not to happen at all please? :) There doesn't seem to be a good reason for it, IE it's not doing it alphabetically, it just seems to mix them up.

When I keyword sometimes they are randomly reordered. I think it's when I add keywords to more than one image at a time. Anyone know exactly what's going on so i can avoid it? Or can it be changed not to happen at all please? :) There doesn't seem to be a good reason for it, IE it's not doing it alphabetically, it just seems to mix them up.

Hi Linda

Keywords are not randomly reordered. When you combine keywords from several images they indeed are ordered possibly in the other way they were ordered in the initial images, but it's due to the combining them. Otherwise they are always saved/applied in the order you specified with editing.

Can you please be more speicifc about your issue? Under which circumstances do you see them reordered?

Hi Linda

Keywords are not randomly reordered. When you combine keywords from several images they indeed are ordered possibly in the other way they were ordered in the initial images, but it's due to the combining them. Otherwise they are always saved/applied in the order you specified with editing.

Can you please be more speicifc about your issue? Under which circumstances do you see them reordered?

Thanks for replying so quickly Taras. I think it probably is when I am adding words from suggestions? I put my own keywords in then check for more using the 'suggestions'. The keywords I put in are no longer at the beginning where I want them to be. 

I'll go and see if that is what is happening....

Ok, this just happened:

I added these keywords, in this order, to some images using copy paste, "fox, dog, pastel, art".

I selected the images and clicked edit.

I added 3 more keywords from 'suggestions'.

Clicked save and my keywords, although still at the beginning have been reordered to this "art, dog, fox, pastel, outdoors, tilt, pet"

And again:
My keywords - "exam, rupert, dragon, cabbage, bird"
Added more from suggestions in edit to multiple images.
Mine have been reordered - "dragon, rupert, cabbage, exam, bird, isolated, ears, gift"

Ok, this just happened:

I added these keywords, in this order, to some images using copy paste, "fox, dog, pastel, art".

I selected the images and clicked edit.

I added 3 more keywords from 'suggestions'.

Clicked save and my keywords, although still at the beginning have been reordered to this "art, dog, fox, pastel, outdoors, tilt, pet"

Thanks for the explanation. As you know, when you select 3 images and click "Edit", you will be able to edit them at once. And you will see keywords applied to all of them in the order they are aggregated. You can control that in that "Edit" dialog.

When there're several images, their keywords are combined when you press "Edit". If these images contain absolutely same keywords, I confirm that their order might be changed slightly. Sorry for any inconvenience.