Taras Kushnir

Xpiks - open source software for microstocker

There's a new release of Xpiks available. Visit the downloads page http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/downloads/ to grab it.

Improvements:

• Keywords Suggestion from the local library
  • New dialogs for single item editing
  • Advanced filtering support
  • Improved scrolling support
  • Improved warnings checking

Fixes:

• focus stealing while scrolling
  • upload percentage for windows issue

Thanks for the update. It's a big improvement and much easier to use now.

Two suggestions for future updates which have been bugging me a bit recently:

Currently Xpiks does not allow single character keywords which is a little annoying when I'm doing a series of isolated letters or numbers as 'A' or '1' are valid keywords on most sites. Likewise punctuation like @ is a valid keyword and searches differently to 'at symbol' on some sites. So to enter a single character I have to add it to the file properties manually, after which Xpiks accepts it, though will not copy and paste it.

Second suggestion is probably more hassle to implement but being able to change the order of keywords would be very useful. A drag and drop ability on the tags would probably take quite a bit of doing but just being able to use the arrow keys or click to move the cursor and type at the start of the keywords would be good. At the moment if I forget to put an important keyword up front it requires copying the tags, deleting them, adding the new word and pasting them back in. I'm sure you've already considered that though.

Oh and I guess a clear all tags button would also be useful in that regard.

A spell checker would be good too (unless it's there and I've missed it!) I have a bad habit of accidently typing letters back to front. Did it again today with the word jubilee, typed it as jubliee. I only picked it up once I'd uploaded to the sites, then had to change them all one by one.

A spell checker would be good too (unless it's there and I've missed it!) I have a bad habit of accidently typing letters back to front. Did it again today with the word jubilee, typed it as jubliee. I only picked it up once I'd uploaded to the sites, then had to change them all one by one.

A spell checker would be available in Xpiks 1.1 which is under active development. Xpiks 1.1 will be released before this Christmas.

Thanks for the update. It's a big improvement and much easier to use now.

Two suggestions for future updates which have been bugging me a bit recently:

Currently Xpiks does not allow single character keywords which is a little annoying when I'm doing a series of isolated letters or numbers as 'A' or '1' are valid keywords on most sites. Likewise punctuation like @ is a valid keyword and searches differently to 'at symbol' on some sites. So to enter a single character I have to add it to the file properties manually, after which Xpiks accepts it, though will not copy and paste it.

Second suggestion is probably more hassle to implement but being able to change the order of keywords would be very useful. A drag and drop ability on the tags would probably take quite a bit of doing but just being able to use the arrow keys or click to move the cursor and type at the start of the keywords would be good. At the moment if I forget to put an important keyword up front it requires copying the tags, deleting them, adding the new word and pasting them back in. I'm sure you've already considered that though.

Oh and I guess a clear all tags button would also be useful in that regard.

Regarding the single letter keywords and 'at' symbol - that's not a big deal, I'll add support for it. Regarding the order of keywords: even if there're some stock which account order of keywords, this is going to disappear in close future. As for now it's a bit time wasteful to implement draggin keywords, but I can introduce plain text edit mode, where you will be able to modify keywords as plain text.

Regarding the single letter keywords and 'at' symbol - that's not a big deal, I'll add support for it. Regarding the order of keywords: even if there're some stock which account order of keywords, this is going to disappear in close future. As for now it's a bit time wasteful to implement draggin keywords, but I can introduce plain text edit mode, where you will be able to modify keywords as plain text.

Yeah I understand that completely. Keyword ordering does seem very pointless on stock sites. Then again one of the sites which uses it is IS and their entire keywording and uploading system is outdated and backwards so I can't see it changing any time soon.

A plain text toggle would be a very good solution and would make it easier to enter keywords in general. For instance I frequently copy and paste country names from the title into the keywords but cannot add a second word after it like 'French flag' as the moment I hit space it has been entered as a tag and I just end up with 'french'.

Another useful and simple to implement feature would be tabbing between images. Currently entering keywords unique to each image (before pasting the rest in) requires clicking on the description of the next image which makes it slightly slower than tab would when you're editing a lot of images in series at once.

A plain text toggle would be a very good solution and would make it easier to enter keywords in general. For instance I frequently copy and paste country names from the title into the keywords but cannot add a second word after it like 'French flag' as the moment I hit space it has been entered as a tag and I just end up with 'french'.

Sorry, what?? Xpiks does not treat space as a separator. If you will enter 'French flag' it will be treated as 1 keyword. Keyword is being added when you press comma (also when you paste semicolon is also treated as separator).

Sorry, what?? Xpiks does not treat space as a separator. If you will enter 'French flag' it will be treated as 1 keyword. Keyword is being added when you press comma (also when you paste semicolon is also treated as separator).

Sorry bad example. I mean when you paste a word in it automatically becomes a tag so I cannot paste the word French then type flag after it as one phrase. A plain text editor would be easier in that regard but to be honest it's probably only something I have noticed due to uploading hundreds of country's flags...

Sorry bad example. I mean when you paste a word in it automatically becomes a tag so I cannot paste the word French then type flag after it as one phrase. A plain text editor would be easier in that regard but to be honest it's probably only something I have noticed due to uploading hundreds of country's flags...

Then if we paste text with comma-separated several keywords, I can paste them as keywords, and if you paste only one, I can leave it in the editor as text.

New release of Xpiks is available! Xpiks 1.1 brings to you spell checking, auto updates and a lot of small improvements! Download release here http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/downloads/

Don't forget to support Xpiks with sharing and promoting Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/Xpiks-748703535265682/

Major features of this release:

• Automatic spell checking and suggestion for all metadata
  • Automatic checking for updates
  • Added plain text mode for keywords editing
  • Speed improvements with large collections
  • Editing of separate keywords
  • Improvements for UI of some popups on large monitors
  • Improvements on keywords pasting
  • Exact search terms parsing (with exclamation mark before word like “!man”)

Excellent changes to the program as always but it seems to have created a few bugs. The most notable of which is that the import and export time has increased dramatically. I tested this with the batch I was just working on of 44 images in the old and new version.

In the old version they import in 11 seconds. In the new one it takes 58. Even images without any meta data take a long time if you click import when they used to be nearly instant. After some experimentation I found the new version of the exiftool is the problem and simply pasting the version from 1.0 into the 1.1 folder resolves this and imports the batch in 11 seconds apparently without any loss of functionality. Not sure what the developer added to the new version of that tool to make it a whole 1mb larger but Xpiks doesn't seem to require it as it functions fine with the old one.

Besides from that, the exit confirmation now seems to have the dialogue buttons in German so they read Ja and Nein instead of Yes and No. Not that this is major of course.

I've also run into a bug where the keyword counter will not go to zero when words which contain a capital letter are removed. The word can be pasted back in but cannot be typed in (with or without caps) until the clear button is pressed. It would appear then that the word is still attached to the file and simply not displaying but exporting the image does only save those words that are visible. Whilst testing this I also had a problem with Xpiks not allowing me to drag and drop images to import them after a file with these broken keywords was removed. I'm not sure if it is related to the counter issue though as I have been unable to recreate it. I'll keep an eye out in case it occurs again.

Other than this it seems all good and has some really useful improvements. Thanks for that. I did have a strange issue with the updater upon first running 1.1 though which I'll list below but it's long, boring and not especially helpful so feel free to skip it...

I worked out the exiftool was the problem when I realised that I could get the 11 second opening time in the new program if I opened the old one first and closed it just before opening 1.1 so I realised it must an updated version of something common to them that was still running and not the Xpiks exe itself. This also explains why I had a hard time upon first using 1.1. Any time I tried to do anything it kept telling me a new update was available and taking me to the download despite the fact that I had opened Xpiks from the 1.1 exe. Not clear if I was actually running 1.0 or 1.1 though as it seems they cannot both be opened at the same time and attempting to do so causes problems. At the moment I have 1.0 open on the left monitor whilst 1.1 was last open on the right monitor. If I open 1.1 now the Xpiks window stays in the same place and no additional Xpiks process is opened but clicking file or tools will open the drop down box on the right monitor over an invisible window. Kind of amusing but I think it was probably this instance sharing behaviour that was the cause of the update problem as 1.0 had been open right before I remembered I had downloaded 1.1 so extracted the files and opened it instead. The issue would not go away until I removed the Xpiks folders and extracted it again.

At the moment I have 1.0 open on the left monitor whilst 1.1 was last open on the right monitor. If I open 1.1 now the Xpiks window stays in the same place and no additional Xpiks process is opened but clicking file or tools will open the drop down box on the right monitor over an invisible window.

Hi fredex, I've been on vacation.

Thank you very much for your investigation about the exiftool. Very interesting. I'll update Xpiks for Windows soon to contain older version. Also this update will contain fixes to the issues you mentioned. Thanks for pointing them out.

Regarding two monitors it's a known bug (https://github.com/Ribtoks/xpiks/releases/tag/v1.1), but it cannot be fixed with Xpiks. It will be fixed in the end of winter with Qt guys (Xpiks uses framework Qt).

Also, it's not very clear about "you cannot drag'n'drop files after the broken file was removed". Maybe if would become clearer, if you will send me logs. This is the short intro how to do it http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/blog/2015/how-to-report-an-error/(basically, use "Show logs" and "Reveal logfile", and later send them to Support section on the Xpiks website). Also, to make it clear, you can tell me what actions did you do so I can follow that in code. Because as for now I can't repro it.

It was a one off error and it's difficult to be sure what caused it when other bugs were involved but it was basically giving me the red circle with a line through it symbol, the same as you'd get if you tried to drag and drop a file to the top bar of Xpiks' window where File and Tools are. Except it was giving me that on the whole window and had to be relaunched to fix it. Didn't know there was a log file at the time and it's far too messy now to try and find where that entry might be with any certainty because I was experimenting with lots of things. If it comes up again I'll save the log but I wouldn't worry about that at the moment.

There's a feature that will be in the next release (1.2) of Xpiks: keywords presets. Like when you type "woman" and then there are common keywords which you also write like "portrait, beauty, model, style, fashion" or similar and Xpiks will allow you to expand one keyword to preset. It would be possible to add your own presets as well as edit standard ones.

I'd like to ask people who use Xpiks to create some presets: I will merge them with mine and of others and create some set of standard keywords expansions. Please, write your presets at the www.pastebin.com and send the links here or PM to me.

Please, use the format like

keyword_to_expand: list,of,comma,separated,expansions

another_keyword_to_expand: another,list,of,comma,separated,expansions

Good idea. I thought something like that might be handy but assumed it would be more work to create than it was worth. The ones I use often probably aren't going to be too useful for most people though. The 'isolated' ones are mainly for the benefit of IS which annoyingly has them all as separate search terms. http://pastebin.com/SSCWL3i1

I also have two relatively simple to implement features which would be useful additions to the program.

1. An invert selection button for when you want to add one keyword to half the images and a different one to the other half.

2. A find and replace tool which searches title, description and keywords on selected images.

Admittedly both of these features are only things I've needed because I tend to upload both a red and black version of things like text renders at the same time and manually going through them all and typing 'red' or 'black' is tedious but... I have to assume people would find other uses for them.

http://pastebin.com/SSCWL3i1

I also have two relatively simple to implement features which would be useful additions to the program.

1. An invert selection button for when you want to add one keyword to half the images and a different one to the other half.

2. A find and replace tool which searches title, description and keywords on selected images.

Thanks for the presets. Maybe you will find time this month to create some others as well - would be nice to have them.

Both features you're talking about are more or less easy to implement and they will be available in the next release.

I've released an update with bugfixes and downgraded exiftool - can you please try it and report if there are latencies in importing?

I've released an update with bugfixes and downgraded exiftool - can you please try it and report if there are latencies in importing?

I've tried testing it but encountered the same issue on and off. I can't actually say whether this has fixed the issue or not as the results are very inconsistent. Also I have to compare it against v1.0 as 1.1 will not let me import content due to the update being available. Therefore I'm not sure how useful these results will be...

Firstly it appears that v1.0 was using exiftool version 10.0.1.0, v1.1 used 10.0.7.0 and v1.1.2 is using 10.0.0.0. Versions 10.0.7.0 and 10.0.0.0 both usually result in a 58 second import time (testing with the same files as before) whereas version 10.0.1.0 imports in 11 seconds every time. Again replacing the exiftool in the folder with the original one from v1.0 fixes the issue. I would suggest using this version instead of the current one however it seems odd that both the older and newer version of the exiftool cause the same issue whereas the intermediate one does not. This issue also only occurs on my desktop and not my laptop.

To confuse things further I was also able to get both the short and long import time in 1.1.2 without replacing the exiftool simply by opening it from a desktop shortcut or root exe alternately. Exiftool itself is sometimes failing to shutdown resulting in dozens of instances running in the task manager even after Xpiks is closed. This appears to sometimes happen if Xpiks is shut down whilst still importing but always happens on the first run after installation when it fails to import metadata, I am unsure if it occurs under normal circumstances. I thought it may be a result of having these different instances of exiftool still running that was causing the issue or perhaps because the other versions of exiftool were still hanging around in temp files.

So I tested it on my laptop to get a fresh start. It is much slower and running Windows 8 instead of 10 but has never had Xpiks installed on it before. The first test (with the same files) with v1.12 resulted in a 2:30 import time which failed to import any metadata and showed a red progression bar instead of the normal blue one. The second and third tests took around 1:30 and worked correctly. I then copied the v1.0 folder and tested this. Again the first test took 2:30 and failed to import any data and again the second test took 1:30. This would suggest that both versions of the exiftool work correctly and identically on Windows 8. Perhaps it is only on Windows 10 that they perform differently. I tried replacing the newer tool with the older but it made no difference.

The reason for the failure upon the first run, I think, is that the exiftool instances in task manager are running from 'C:\Users\Fred\AppData\Local\Temp\par-Fred' where they are copied upon starting the import. So on first running Xpiks on a new machine this temp location does not exist. I found that deleting the 'cache-exiftool-10.01' folder in this location on my desktop will cause Xpiks to take about twice as long on first import and fail to import some or all of the images' data.

Bearing in mind that my programming knowledge is fairly limited I would suggest you change it so Xpiks runs a check for this exiftool cache on opening or prior to starting the import and creates the folder if it does not exist. I assume creating it could be done by just dummy running exiftool as this cache can be created by manually running exiftool. It may also be a good idea for Xpiks to check for any instances of exiftool already running upon startup and shutting them down, if this is possible. For example task manager currently shows four instances of exiftool.exe running, each using 7k memory. Xpiks will happily start up and import files but just ignores these instances. Previously I have had dozens of them open and using memory which I had to end task on manually. I'd also suggest using exiftool 10.0.1.0 as this seems to be stable and work consistently, though I have no idea why. It seems likely that this error is something to do with Windows 10 but I can't be sure.

Wow, thank you very much for such an investigation!

Few notes:

If update is available in v1.1 it doesn't force you to upgrade - you can just close the dialog and continue working.

In the next version of Xpiks exiftool will be integrated with Xpiks (not a separate binary file) so there would be no issues with the hang processes and much more control. Anyway, it's very strange to hear about these issues.

When you encounter red progress bar, please see the logs. There would be explanations what went wrong. You can also send those logs to me.

Overall this is very strange, but thank you a lot for the investigation!

Wow, thank you very much for such an investigation!

Yeah might have gone a bit over the top... I was putting off doing work.

When V1.1 is prompting for the update it is not possible to drag and drop images into it as it gives you a red cross symbol. I hadn't actually tried using the add files button but it seems that does work.

Also I seem to have broken my log file. It was getting so large that notepad was struggling to open it so I backed it up and cleared the data but now Xpiks isn't writing anything to it. I tried deleting the folder completely but it didn't recreate it.

I think the error which occurs on first run is probably this:

Debug: Error: "exiftool" "Process operation timed out"

Warning: QProcess: Destroyed while process ("exiftool") is still running.

Although that could be something else since the new version of exiftool does look like it is frequently timing out without doing anything. I'd test it again if the log file were working, perhaps that will come back to life when I restart the computer.

Debug: Error: "exiftool" "Process operation timed out"

You cannot drag'n'drop files because there's an update dialog not closed somewhere (it's fixed in 1.1.2). It's modal and it's preventing to do some stuff over the main window.

Removing logfile itself should do the trick (I mean Xpiks definitely should recreate it). Removing the directory should do the trick as well. I'll investigate it locally.

BTW, there's a "Clear logs" button in the logs dialog - for the future.

Don't try to fix such problems with restarting your computer :)

UPD: Xpiks successfully recreates directory and logfile on my Win 8 x64. Dunno what's wrong..

UPD: Xpiks successfully recreates directory and logfile on my Win 8 x64. Dunno what's wrong..

My bad. I was looking in AppData>Local>Xpiks rather than Roaming>Xpiks>Xpiks which I guess is where it has moved to now with the new version. Hadn't noticed the show logs button at the bottom before.

The error with it not importing metadata on first use or after deleting the exiftool cache folder is:

Warning: Error: "exiftool" "Zeitüberschreitung"

I assume that means timeout. This happens to some or all images in the batch on first use. Most of them fail on my laptop whilst only a few do on my desktop, I guess due to the faster bus and processor speed of the desktop or perhaps just having an SSD as the boot drive so the cache is written fast enough for Xpiks to use it. For each image it happens on it leaves an exiftool process running which has to be manually terminated.

Guess it doesn't really matter now though if you are replacing exiftool soon...