Taras Kushnir

Xpiks - open source software for microstocker

Hi everybody

I'm a programmer and microstocker at the same time and today I'm pleased to present my piece of free and open source software. It's named Xpiks (Cross-platform Image Keywoarding Software) - keywording and uploading tool for microstock photographers and illustrators. It was written from scratch with aim to make it more usefull, convenient and quicker than existing tools.

Program is available for OS X, Windows and Linux x64.

Main features:

• convenient keywording capabilities (XMP/IPTC metadata)
  • uploading images to Stock Agencies' FTP hosts (keeping encrypted list of credentials)
  • keywords suggestion based on Shutterstock API or on the local library
  • search through loaded images by any metadata
  • ability to upload vector (eps/ai) files along with images
  • automatically zip vectors and previews if needed
  • checks for potential problems before upload (insufficient resolution, missing metadata etc.)
  • checks spelling and proposes spell suggestions

Main website: http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/

UPD. Screencasts how to use Xpiks:
https://vimeo.com/153564940 - Introduction
https://vimeo.com/155296801 - Keywords editing
https://vimeo.com/155427686 - Using backups (.xpks files)

Tutorial part 1: http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/blog/2015/how-to-use-xpiks-part-1

Tutorial part 2: http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/blog/2015/how-to-use-xpiks-part-2

Tips and Tricks: http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/blog/2015/hidden-features

Any feedback would highly appreciated would it be good or bad. In case you've found any bugs or misfunction, please, check out this page (http://ribtoks.github.io/xpiks/blog/2015/how-to-report-an-error) on how to report it.

If you have any questions please, ask them in the Support section on the Xpiks Website, because it's hard to keep track of all forums. I will definitely respond within 24 hours (due to the difference in time zones).

I'm developing Xpiks only in my free time and anybody is welcome to join the development on Github (https://github.com/Ribtoks/xpiks). Any help would be highly appreciated - see Contributors Guidelines file in the repository.

If you mean iStock, then NO. Sadly)

Damn, well I'll give it a go later anyway. My portfolio here is four or five times that of elsewhere because Shutterstock is so easy to upload to and I'm lazy. Really need to upload to other sites. I know IS uses its own ftp client but I'd assume soke of the keywording will cross over if it saves it to the jpg (though they are also awkward for that too).

Damn, well I'll give it a go later anyway. My portfolio here is four or five times that of elsewhere because Shutterstock is so easy to upload to and I'm lazy. Really need to upload to other sites. I know IS uses its own ftp client but I'd assume soke of the keywording will cross over if it saves it to the jpg (though they are also awkward for that too).

Are you using DeepMeta? If not you should - it's Free

Looks interesting, I will try and take a propper look over the weekend. I have a small portfolio on SS would be great if I could easily copy the keywording that is on those files as they appear on SS and add it to the originals, would make the task of uploading to other stock sites less dauntimg.

Hello,

I have tried to  run the program but I always get an error saying that msvcp120.dll is missing.So I was searching in Google for this problem and found some websites which offer download of this file. It does not look too safe for me... anyone had the same problem?

Hello,

I have tried to  run the program but I always get an error saying that msvcp120.dll is missing.So I was searching in Google for this problem and found some websites which offer download of this file. It does not look too safe for me... anyone had the same problem?

Hey. Do not download msvcp120.dll from any websites. I'll take a look at it.

Hello,

You can try to download new version from same link. Now it should contain everything needed.

You can try to download new version from same link. Now it should contain everything needed.

It works now, thanks!

Finally got round to giving this a go. Uploaded thirty odd images to two sites with ease. It's great but I found a couple bugs and a few minor things struck me that could be improved. The grey box that highlights a file when it is selected or you are editing it is a little too bright and makes the text hard to read. On one of my monitors it's ok but the other has higher brightness settings so the contrast between the title text and the background isn't huge. Nothing major but a less drastic form of highlighting selected files would be good.

Also the popout window editor for multiple files feels a little redudant to me. I didn't actually know I had to click edit to apply keywords to multiple files until I read the tutorial. I was just ticking the boxes, typing stuff in and thinking Windows 10 had probably broken something horribly. Seems like you should just be able to select all, type in the keyword and have it appended to all selected files as you can on SS without needing the popout.

Also selecting files feels a little awkward to me too. Clicking in the text boxes for an image will highlight it for editing but won't actually select it, if you start ticking boxes on other images this highlight will not be cleared even though the file isn't selected. I also noticed some slightly odd behaviour with this. The editing highlight cannot be cleared by clicking on dead space but can be cleared by scrolling down past the image - except on the top image. For reasons I am not clear on the description and keywords on the first image on the page will remain selected and indeed editable even when you can't actively see what you are typing. It is only deselected when another image is selected. Must be a minor glitch in the code.

Clicking the tick boxes was more time consuming than clicking the details until I realised you could click on the image preview too. However this means that the black box between the image and the tickbox is pretty much redundant. Would be a little quicker if the entire box around the preview could be clicked to select it, or maybe even the whole bar including text boxes.

Finally there appears to be a slight problem with scrolling. When text boxes are not overflowing they obviously disable scrolling as the scroll wheel will not work when the cursor is over one, so you can only scroll down through images when hovering over the image previews or empty space on the right and left of the boxes. It's unlikely that a text box would ever overflow as they hold about 50 keywords comfortably however I tested what happened if they did. A scrollbar appears beside the keyword box as I expected however when it turns scrolling on it seems to do so for the entire page and not just that text box. So using the scroll wheel on an overflowing text box scrolls the entire page as well as that box and on a non-overflowing box doesn't work. Just a bug for you to fix I guess.

Oh and the upload progress seems to count up to 107% or so rather than 100%.

Those are the only issues I've encounted so far. Otherwise works great and saves a lot of time.

I've just downloaded it. (Embarrassing question coming up....) How do I get it from the file to use it?! :unsure:

How to get what from which file? What operating system do you use? In Windows you have to extract the archive to the location you prefer. On OS X you just double-click it and then drag'n'drop it to the Applications. On Linux you install the deb file.

Finally got round to giving this a go. Uploaded thirty odd images to two sites with ease. It's great but I found a couple bugs and a few couple minor things struck me that could be improved.

fredex, thank you very much for such a useful review! I'll try to fix/improve mentioned stuff in next release.

fredex, thank you very much for such a useful review! I'll try to fix/improve mentioned stuff in next release.

No problem. This thing has saved me countless time uploading already and I've even got round to uploading to sites I haven't logged in on for months from laziness. I really should have been using metadata from the start.

The popout editor at the moment I think is the biggest thing that could be improved. I've not even really been using it after initially pasting keywords onto multiple files. In the time it takes to hit edit, uncheck title and description and then check only add new keywords it's quicker to just paste the word I was adding to the two or three files individually. Not to complain though as it's vastly quicker than using most stock sites own editors...

How to get what from which file? What operating system do you use? In Windows you have to extract the archive to the location you prefer. On OS X you just double-click it and then drag'n'drop it to the Applications. On Linux you install the deb file.

Well that all went over my head lol. But all is well now. I clicked through the different things in the file that downloaded until one opened the programme. I've put a shortcut on my desktop now so I don't have to search for it again.

I'll give it a go tomorrow, it should make life a lot easier! Thanks for doing this :)

Found another possible issue with the program, though it could just be me. Images are uploading perfectly to SS, BS and FT but despite waiting over a week since the upload nothing has appeared on 123 yet. The program showed a green light on checking that connection and appeared to upload successfully on each attempt. I do recall 123 being very slow to process ftp uploads in the past but now I am starting to wonder if the connections simply got rejected due to the server not recognising the uploader or something.

Depends if it has worked for anyone else?

I uploaded using this for the first time yesterday and had the same problem with 123. All appeared to be fine, green light, 100% uploaded etc, but when I looked on 123, nothing there. I wondered if it might be a lag, delay, but guessing not now?!

Otherwise, I'm really impressed. It is going to save a lot of time :)

123 takes forever processing images in general. I just used the drag and drop uploader on the site (which might be new as I don't remember using it before) and even then it takes an age to process the images... and they took about three times as long to upload as they do to SS.

When I used to FTP them from filezilla that took ages too but they eventually showed up. Been well over a week since I tried uploading there, the same content is already up and selling elsewhere but nothing is even pending there. So I think perhaps 123 is rejecting uploads from Xpiks. Keywords still work though so no big deal.

Depends if it has worked for anyone else?

Dunno.. It works for me all the time. Don't know what's wrong with your upload. After you uploaded to 123rf you need to go to the website and press "Process my images" button - then they appear after a while. Actually, 123rf is the quickest stock in terms of upload speed because you don't have to enter categories etc. You just upload files and press "process" and.. you're free. (except of releases).

Dunno.. It works for me all the time. Don't know what's wrong with your upload. After you uploaded to 123rf you need to go to the website and press "Process my images" button - then they appear after a while. Actually, 123rf is the quickest stock in terms of upload speed because you don't have to enter categories etc. You just upload files and press "process" and.. you're free. (except of releases).

Ah I see. Yes in order to get it to work I had to go to the website, tick the agreement and hit next shortly after they had been uploaded. I did look there previously, several times but there was nothing in the upload queue, in the upload history or anywhere else. Can only assume I waited too long to click next and have it process them so it just deleted the images without telling me. I was still expecting them to show up at some point.

Not having to put them in categories does make it much faster in terms of manual work but the time between upload and them appearing in the keywording section is quite high, not sure what precisely it is doing when it says 'processing' but whatever it is takes a long time.