Best walkaround lens to suit D810

you guys are just looking for anything that makes it easier

Some of us have diabetes or other conditions that give us less steady hands, and tripods are not always practical. Yes, technique will always trump technology, but there's a plethora of situations where lens (or sensor) stabilization will be the difference between getting a shot that sells, and a shot that won't even be accepted. 

Some of us have diabetes or other conditions that give us less steady hands, and tripods are not always practical. Yes, technique will always trump technology, but there's a plethora of situations where lens (or sensor) stabilization will be the difference between getting a shot that sells, and a shot that won't even be accepted. 

I use a tripod for 96% of my shots, if I can't use a tripod I'll use a monopod.   My hands shake so much I need to use something for support.

• 3 weeks later...

I am thinking of replacing my 28mm 1.8G / 50mm 1.8G primes with the 24-70 2.8 non VR from nikon. I actually had it before on a D600 body and regret selling it. Many of the shots was really good with that lens. Really liked it!

What do you think about that lens paired with the D810? 

One thing I have noticed is that the D810 is not so forgiving, you really need to know what you are doing to get good images out of it. But if you can, they can be stunning.

It depends on the subjects you are photographing most often. If you are photographing in fluid situations where the subject is constantly moving and you can get close to the subjects then the 24-70 might be just what you need. But if you are shooting city scapes or landscapes where the subject is stationary the prime lenses will probably be better. If you are photographing landscapes I would change out the 28mm for a 35mm prime lens. I find that 28mm almost always renders the mountains too small in the frame.

Oh, subjects are all over the place. Northern Lights, Landscapes, Computer Stuff, Food. Anything really.

This are the lenses I would would be most likely to use for these situations:

Northern Lights - 35mm prime

Landscapes - 35mm prime or a 105 macro prime

Computer Stuff - You will have to be more specific as to what this means

Food - I'm thinking a 105 macro prime but I have never photographed food. Ask David Smith, he's easy to find as he's all over the SS Forums, food is one of his specialties.

Anything - I would make that decision on the spot  :)

This are the lenses I would would be most likely to use for these situations:

Northern Lights - 35mm prime

Landscapes - 35mm prime or a 105 macro prime

Computer Stuff - You will have to be more specific as to what this means

Food - I'm thinking a 105 macro prime but I have never photographed food. Ask David Smith, he's easy to find as he's all over the SS Forums, food is one of his specialties.

Anything - I would make that decision on the spot  :)

Just to answer Mike's suggestion to ask me about the lens for food the one that I use most often is the Tamron 90mm 2.8 macro. The other one that I use is my 17-55 1.8. Great lens but very expensive.

The best all around, walk around lens? I don't think they make one that is perfect for everything. If they did then there would be no need for all the lenses that are out there. For general use, excluding things like sports, some nature, I would look for something like a lens that had a 35-105 zoom range.

• 4 weeks later...

I am thinking of replacing my 28mm 1.8G / 50mm 1.8G primes with the 24-70 2.8 non VR from nikon. I actually had it before on a D600 body and regret selling it. Many of the shots was really good with that lens. Really liked it!

What do you think about that lens paired with the D810? 

What did you do in the end? Did you get the zoom? 

I owned the Nikon 28mm 1.8G for a while and didn't like it much. Nice optics but very shoddy build quality. Of course that won't bother some people at all. While the 50mm 1.8G wont win any prizes for focus speed, I do like its optical performance, especially for the price. 

I think you could get a lot of mileage out of a macro lens if you're planning on shooting computer parts and food.