hbpictures

If a photo makes you cry...

The actions that some countries took after this for the Syrian refugees are truly remarkable. Especially Germany and Iceland!

I think that when nations are beginning to support different sorts of rebels in other countries. Giving them money. Weapons. Provoke the a war. They are to provide its territory for refugees from the war. It is by the rules.

Shocking shot, yes

Frankly, I cannot believe this thread even breath's. The fact that such a massive, huge, humanitarian issue has received so little response (in this thread) speaks volumes to me.

Everyone has seen this tragically sad image today, and everyone that has seen it has, like me, probably cried.

This is a photographic 'stock' forum. This is not Live Leak and this is not Best Gore. FFS.

Frankly, I cannot believe this thread even breathe's. The fact that such a massive, huge, humanitarian issue has received so little response (in this thread) speaks volumes to me.

Everyone has seen this tragically sad image today, and everyone that has seen it has, like me, probably cried.

This is a photographic 'stock' forum. This is not Live Leak and this is not Best Gore. FFS.

Thank you Simon for your comment and words.

I doubted about posting the image in this forum. Otherwise it's our daily business for most of us. I admire photographers who had to shoot pictures like this one.

For several reasons I didn't post the image in my private facebook account, instead I posted this image:

11903653_10153614865537431_6449182250327

Photo: Mauricio Lima for The New York Times

I like it very much, I see peace in the faces of the mothers and find a little hope. They are sleeping in the train station in Budapest. If they had luck they arrived already in the station in Munic.

BTW Mauricio Lima is an excellent photographer

Simon - I don't see a problem? What am I missing?

Many shutterstock contributors do editorials. Not all editorials are of smiling, happy people. There's a dark side to this human life on earth, and it's suffering.

Millions of people are direct refugees from war zones, millions of others are children of those refugees, who exist only because their parents took action and fled from the war.

And not "all of us" have seen that picture elsewhere than here. I don't have a TV, so this is the only place I saw that pic.

I'm not sure why the rage, Simon?

Simon - I don't see a problem? What am I missing?

Many shutterstock contributors do editorials. Not all editorials are of smiling, happy people. There's a dark side to this human life on earth, and it's suffering.

Millions of people are direct refugees from war zones, millions of others are children of those refugees, who exist only because their parents took action and fled from the war.

And not "all of us" have seen that picture elsewhere than here. I don't have a TV, so this is the only place I saw that pic.

I'm not sure why the rage, Simon?

Rage?

Are you kidding me?

There's no rage here. This is about basic human decency and respect for people that don't have the 'good fortune' to be white skinned.

Yes seriously, and stop editing your original post. You're a pratt.

A dead little brown boy? oh that's OK to post. A dead little white boy? oh no, that's wrong to post.

As one of our UK politicians stated today, this is a racist issue. Brown people can die and be photographed. White people, Oh no, that's not OK.

Like I said, you're a pratt. You're South African aren't you? well that says it all doesn't it?

A South African and a German OP.

Enough said.

What is a German OP?

What is a German OP?

OP = Original Poster

Simon - I don't see this as a white vs. brown / other color, you name it, issue at all, I don't know how such a conclusion can be drawn. Where did you get the "can't photograph dead white kids"? Remember, i don't have a TV so I may have missed something that's obvious to you.

The tragedy goes beyond nationalities and colors, it hurts the same no matter what color is in question.

I didn't even know Arabs were considered "people of color". I guess I'll have to tell my kids that, so they know what they are.

Rage?

Are you kidding me?

There's no rage here. This is about basic human decency and respect for people that don't have the 'good fortune' to be white skinned.

Sorry Simon I don't know if I understand what you mean.

But if you mean I don't care about black people, you're totally wrong.

Go to my portfolio, third position of best images you see a little girl with an alligator. Well, this is one of my beloved granddaughters. If you have a closer look you can see she's mixed race. Hope this p.c. in English. Her mother, my daughter-in-law comes from brazil. I am very happy to have her in my family.

You're right, This is about basic human decency and respect for people. End of story.

I think the photo is excellent photojournalism.  There have been a number of horrific photographs that have stunned the world, the Pullizer Prize Winning "Napalm Girl" by Nick Ut is one that comes first to my mind. (There is a great write up of the friendship that developed between the photographer and the girl here.)

In the book Photojournalism: An Ethical Approach  one of the ethical philosophy terms is Utilitarianism which basically states that an image is ethical if the potential positives outweigh the negatives.  I think this image's merit is in the shock factor as well as the compassion it provokes.  The image itself has nothing whatsoever to do with racial discrimination, it is meant to break through in this media desensitized world and make people aware of and feel the situation.  In my opinion this image has done that in a very touching way.  We will all react to this in our own personal way.  To me the image is a documentation of countless tragedies that have occurred in a peoples flight from oppression and suffering, and the lengths they will go and sacrifices they will make in order to escape, but it is not a violent one, as sad as it is there is a peacefulness to it as well.  That child came from a world of daily suffering and oppression. 

I'm not sure what interpretation of this post inflamed you Simon, but the only racism I see in this whole topic seems to be originating from your keyboard. There is nothing wrong with being either South African or German, but there most definitely was something wrong with your comments.  Try some in your own words "basic human decency and respect for people".

Thank you very much Kelly.

These were my thoughts also, but unfortunately I couldn't say it in English.

The usual reason... sociopaths willing to do what ever it takes to get what they want!

http://www.vox.com/2015/9/4/9261971/syria-refugee-war

"Assad deliberately targeted Syria's Sunni Muslim majority, civilian and rebel alike, for slaughter.

His goal was to polarize the conflict on religious lines, to turn what began as a broad-based uprising against a dictator into a sectarian war, with religious minorities on his side. He knew this would attract extremists to the rebel side, which would make the world afraid of seeing Assad lose.

It worked."