1000 Words Photos

Editorial growth

Hello colleagues,

I notice that editorial photos are selling more and more. I even have on demand licenses for 28+ dollars.

I am speaking about images that are not specific news related such as products, people doing shopping, street views, objects, store fronts, people in daily life situations etc.

I used to sell this kind of images on some macro stock sites but it seems that sales here on SS are passing them. The only difference is still the quantity part. Macro sites have still more editorial to offer but this can change. I can imagine that so more the editorial here is growing so more costumer will jump over.

Do you also feel a growth of editorial sales?

You're right. I've seen an increase in all sorts of my editorial. Granted my port is small but they're selling, in my opinion, more regularly than before. Street scenes or landmarks I've noticed. Already sold one this morning, some yesterday also I remember. I'm making sure I add them whenever I'm out shooting

For me it is not unusual to see that 50% of my sales are editorial. It is clear that there is a demand for it. I have also to admit that editorial is for me next to work also a lot of fun. There is no worries about model releases and all spreaded logos across the street. Just concentrate on composition and technical issues and your are in.

For me the growth started with the start of "Illustrative Editorial."  Before that, I had submitted very few NEWS editorial.  

Illustrative Editorial is actually a new genre (for me.)

Likewise, some 500 illustrative editorial images in my port of which some sell daily!

I  also like to believe that SS has become more of a destination for editorial & news-related images. August was a BME for me, including two editorial footage sales yesterday. I've seen a slow, but steady growth in sales over the months, largely editorial. Typically 75% of my daily sales are editorial, & my third, fourth & fifth all time best sellers are editorial as well.

Of course, for me at least, this growth has required a bit of brute strength shooting & uploading. I like to believe there's both quality and quantity in what I submit, but as I wrote elsewhere, my most recent editorial EL was a horrible image I'd quite forgotten about, & couldn't believe had even been uploaded--much less accepted--here.

Don't know to what degree SS is embracing editorial & news photography. That they discontinued the Red Carpet program suggests a lukewarm approach at best, but I think the real reason they did away with it was that it simply wasn't particularly effective.

Bringing Rex on board was supposed to have some impact for editorial shooters, but I've yet to see any indication of its presence.

The issue of credentialing remains a bit of a headache. Just today I had 3/4s of a shoot rejected for lack of credentials, despite it having been open to the public & no actual credential offered by the promoters & despite my having covered the same thing last year, all of which was accepted without any credential issue. Hard to know, sometimes, whether a policy has changed, or if the reviewers misunderstand the circumstances of a particular event.

andy

I  also like to believe that SS has become more of a destination for editorial & news-related images. August was a BME for me, including two editorial footage sales yesterday. I've seen a slow, but steady growth in sales over the months, largely editorial. Typically 75% of my daily sales are editorial, & my third, fourth & fifth all time best sellers are editorial as well.

Of course, for me at least, this growth has required a bit of brute strength shooting & uploading. I like to believe there's both quality and quantity in what I submit, but as I wrote elsewhere, my most recent editorial EL was a horrible image I'd quite forgotten about, & couldn't believe had even been uploaded--much less accepted--here.

Don't know to what degree SS is embracing editorial & news photography. That they discontinued the Red Carpet program suggests a lukewarm approach at best, but I think the real reason they did away with it was that it simply wasn't particularly effective.

Bringing Rex on board was supposed to have some impact for editorial shooters, but I've yet to see any indication of its presence.

The issue of credentialing remains a bit of a headache. Just today I had 3/4s of a shoot rejected for lack of credentials, despite it having been open to the public & no actual credential offered by the promoters & despite my having covered the same thing last year, all of which was accepted without any credential issue. Hard to know, sometimes, whether a policy has changed, or if the reviewers misunderstand the circumstances of a particular event.

andy

There are ways around that If you want I will send you a message explaining it.

Hope you got some painted ladies up there.

Yes, but shhhhhhh  !!   :ph34r:

An excellent point.  Why would one want to tell other SS contributors what is selling so well?  Now the OP may have more competition from us other members in the editorial genre, and not sell nearly as much as a result.  

If there is one thing about selling via a stock agency - ANY agency, it is that it is never wise to tell other photographers what is working and what is not working.  

Isolated on white where you truely are on white are not allowed. Not sure if you can shoot on a white background and still submit that. Testing that theory today though since they rejected the isolated ones last month for alterations

I agree, although it is good to hear others thinking the same about SS moving in the editorial direction.

It's the 60m+ images on Alamy I'm more keen to keep away....

The macro agency starting with the letter A mentioned here i need to say that it is a great agency with a great staff. But I think the future is here on Shutterstock. Why somebody would pay 100 dollars for a editorial photo if he can get it here with at least the same quality for a much lower price.

Also looking at the payouts to contributors made by SS compared to A. Only in 2014 Shutterstock paid out 84 million dollars to contributors. That’s more then half of the amount what A… paid out in 13 years. Soon Shutterstock wil pay yearly to contributors that what A… did all their existence in total.