Contributor Terms of Service Update

You can change the payment threshold at any time.
Not working

Not working for me either. I tried to change from $75 to $50 and got an error message.

same here,

"Error - Mininum Payout must be between $75 and $2,000 for PayPal and Moneybookers; and between $500 and $2,000 for checks : "

I'm surprised not more people ask questions about this paragraph

13. Copyright Infringement Claims

You hereby grant Shutterstock the right and authority to take such steps as Shutterstock deems commercially reasonable to protect Shutterstock's rights in the Content.

In the event that you believe Content has been misused, you shall take no action without providing notice of such misuse to Shutterstock and receiving Shutterstock's prior written consent to such action.

While Shutterstock takes commercially reasonable steps to ensure that the rights of its Contributors are not violated by customers or other parties, Shutterstock has no obligation to pursue legal action against any alleged infringer of any of your rights in and to any Content.

especially the "take no actions until shutterstock has given consent"

You hereby grant Shutterstock the right and authority to take such steps as Shutterstock deems commercially reasonable to protect Shutterstock's rights in the Content.

In the event that you believe Content has been misused, you shall take no action without providing notice of such misuse to Shutterstock and receiving Shutterstock's prior written consent to such action.

While Shutterstock takes commercially reasonable steps to ensure that the rights of its Contributors are not violated by customers or other parties, Shutterstock has no obligation to pursue legal action against any alleged infringer of any of your rights in and to any Content.

So what happens if you sell at other sites, and email a potential infringer asking for sight of a licence, and it transpires that the image was purchased through Shutterstock? You could find yourself in breach or this rule very easily.

What about sites that appear to have just stolen your work, and you have no idea where from? Are we supposed to write in to Shutterstock first?

I am still waiting for an answer to an email question I raised a few weeks back, and the previous infringement I raised was back in February - four months on and I'm still waiting for a further response to that - in the meantime, the image is still for sale, along with many other familiar 'stock' images, on a Print-on-Demand site producing framed art prints.

I have no doubt that Shutterstock want to deal with matters in a way that limits damage and stays within the law. I am equally sure that there are many contributors who will shoot off an accusatory email, to a perfectly legitimate customer, without being sure of their facts. I fully appreciate the need to control this.

However, as we are non-exclusive contributors, as well as being the Copyright holders of the works in question, I'm not sure I want to be restricted by Shutterstock in such ways, and think some further clarification would be in order.

So what happens if you sell at other sites, and email a potential infringer asking for sight of a licence, and it transpires that the image was purchased through Shutterstock? You could find yourself in breach or this rule very easily.

What about sites that appear to have just stolen your work, and you have no idea where from? Are we supposed to write in to Shutterstock first?

I am still waiting for an answer to an email question I raised a few weeks back, and the previous infringement I raised was back in February - four months on and I'm still waiting for a further response to that - in the meantime, the image is still for sale, along with many other familiar 'stock' images, on a Print-on-Demand site producing framed art prints.

I have no doubt that Shutterstock want to deal with matters in a way that limits damage and stays within the law. I am equally sure that there are many contributors who will shoot off an accusatory email, to a perfectly legitimate customer, without being sure of their facts. I fully appreciate the need to control this.

However, as we are non-exclusive contributors, as well as being the Copyright holders of the works in question, I'm not sure I want to be restricted by Shutterstock in such ways, and think some further clarification would be in order.

Yes, and due to the fact that they say

Shutterstock has no obligation to pursue legal action against any alleged infringer of any of your rights in and to any Content.

could in fact protect the infringer

Say you found an infrigement, report to SS, they are busy (or can't be bothered), you still can't send in your lawyer, you have to wait for them to give you the green light, in the mean time, it's my rights that are being infringed

lilcrazyfuzzy you are non-exclusive? Are you using any other agencies? If so what are they doing for you? Why just take it out on Shutterstock? Your images are one in a million, quite literally and that is a lot of work to look after?

Sorry lilcrazyfuzzy, I am not moaning at you and please do not take this the wrong way. A lot of people do look at things the same way as you and I can understand why.

I am not saying that SS are hiding behind their policies however just as you have an invested interest in your images so do SS. It is after all their business and their bank balance that gets affected.

Fraud is big business the whole world wide not just in the microstock market. Just have a look at the papers or on the news. 1 in 4 people are subject to it.

Rather than complain that SS don't do enough should we not be asking if we could help? That is a way that we could protect our investments together.

Sorry just my 2 cents worth.

Chris

Hi all,

Sorry about the confusion in regards to lowering the threshold, that function wasn't working properly on the day of the roll out. We appologize for the miscommunication, but all is fixed now and the threshold can be lowered.

In regards to specific language in the TOS, please contact our Compliance department directly for comment.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

it is data pertaining to your account such as your name, address, some tax related info, and you images for instance. Basically data that you voluntary gave to SS in the first place.

The "to collect, process, store, and transfer your personal data." part is from your computer to theirs and from one of their servers to another one of their servers.

There are federal laws that regulate the use of private data. These laws are administered by the Federal Trade Commission as a Consumer Protection Agency.

it is data pertaining to your account such as your name, address, some tax related info, and you images for instance. Basically data that you voluntary gave to SS in the first place.

The "to collect, process, store, and transfer your personal data." part is from your computer to theirs and from one of their servers to another one of their servers.

There are federal laws that regulate the use of private data. These laws are administered by the Federal Trade Commission as a Consumer Protection Agency.

Makes sense. All that health HIPPA changed things too. Everything is a medical secret. I don't mind protection, but when the ambulance chasers get involved, it starts to get fishy.

I think you have it Rudy, just permission for them to store and transmit, not implying that we are being sold. Like the social media sites that do data mining and market it.