3000ad

Sci-Fi Illustration and Footage

My first "space background" animation, linked to one of several high resolutions frames I sell as illustrations.

stock-photo-deep-space-background-illustration-with-galaxy-clusters-of-stars-and-gases-75116092.jpg

Initially the animation was a background test for an animated graphic book. Then I realized that, if formatted to fit the requirements, it can be sold individually as microstock footage. The response wasn't immediately clear. Then I got the chance to see it in several documentaries and network space themed shows. In time, this proved to be a good decision, that led to creating other space and sci-fi backgrounds.

Do you have similar space background images and videos? Did you see them inserted in print or video?

stock-photo-a-robotic-rover-explores-the-surface-of-a-rocky-and-barren-alien-world-a-large-cratered-moon-rises-272070269.jpg

This is a composite image with a NASA image of a rover. The landscape was assembled from 3 of my photos and the starry sky was painted in photoshop. The moon was created from LOLA (Lunar Orbiting Laser Altimeter) data that produces flat, false color topography maps. I used the map to create a "3d" moon.

stock-photo-a-robotic-rover-explores-the-surface-of-a-rocky-and-barren-alien-world-a-large-cratered-moon-rises-272070269.jpg

This is a composite image with a NASA image of a rover. The landscape was assembled from 3 of my photos and the starry sky was painted in photoshop. The moon was created from LOLA (Lunar Orbiting Laser Altimeter) data that produces flat, false color topography maps. I used the map to create a "3d" moon.

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing:

For the 3d Moon we use NASA 'normal' maps - and stitch them to create one single map. It's a tedious process, but, by applying this normal map with displacement or bumpiness on a sphere (in 3DS MAX), we can pose or animate it in any comp as needed.

stock-photo-spaceship-fleet-leaving-earth-as-a-d-concept-for-futuristic-interstellar-deep-space-travel-for-226873720.jpg

This is a model done after reading the script for the sci-fi movie "Passengers". We had a lot of fun modeling this one. I look forward to see how the Hollywood spaceship rendition will look like (should this movie ever pass the 'in development' phase.)

stock-photo-model-of-saturn-like-planet-with-asteroid-rings-for-a-space-background-with-clipping-path-included-147236315.jpg

Sometimes just a simple image would do better in terms of sales than the most elaborate 3D model. I have yet to learn how valuable negative space is.

Care to share thoughts - professional advice - on how to successfully 'pose' a 3D model for a better illustration?

stock-photo-futuristic-military-spacecraft-or-surveillance-drone-for-alien-fantasy-games-or-science-fiction-227662045.jpg

My 3d sell today - small spacecraft posed over an aerial view to give it context.

Do you want to share your science fiction illustration or video sold today?

(I am doing my best to keep the sci-fi thread going, but need your help)

A bit of --personal--- happy news:

While watching the latest episode in the "Through The Wormhole" series, I had the absolute joy of hearing the great Morgan Freeman voice over one of our clips:

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-4278491-stock-footage-architectural-d-fractal-structure-of-an-alien-world-with-flying-spaceship-pods.html?src=gallery/PdU0Mow2_SptMAMlIqiBTA:2:16/3p

I know, I know: it's a microstock video amongst millions and a show script with a great actor reading it. Still, to hear my favourite star saying "...the most sophisticated video games are still played on two dimensional screens, like the one you are watching now..." with my clip running, was a really awesome moment.

Yay!

Inspired by the movie Melancholia (Lars von Trier), my latest illustration accepted at Shutterstock:

stock-photo-surreal-composition-with-sunset-on-the-savanna-and-a-giant-moon-piercing-a-cloudy-sky-for-science-287675783.jpg

It was done by inserting a rendered frame of the Moon from this clip:

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-2850745-stock-footage-moon-phases-on-a-star-field-background.html?src=gallery/PdU0Mow2_SptMAMlIqiBTA:1:32/3p

in this photo's original:

stock-photo-blurred-dusk-on-the-african-savanna-with-trees-and-cloudy-sky-for-travel-backgrounds-287367650.jpg

Care to share your sci-fi images and what inspired them?

(Quick edit: This is my 400th post at Shutterstock! Happy.)