3000ad

Sci-Fi Illustration and Footage

Sci-fi fans, care to share your work?

Following are a few of my images and animations. My favourite writers are: A.C. Clarke, Asimov, P.K. Dick, and the Strugatsky brothers.

Do you like classic science fiction?

Who are your favourites?

What writings/movies inspire you?

stock-photo-interstellar-spaceship-with-dome-core-and-gravitation-wheel-near-earth-like-planet-for-futuristic-273079601.jpg

Sci-fi fans, care to share your work?

Following are a few of my images and animations. My favourite writers are: A.C. Clarke, Asimov, P.K. Dick, and the Strugatsky brothers.

Do you like classic science fiction?

Who are your favourites?

What writings/movies inspire you?

stock-photo-interstellar-spaceship-with-dome-core-and-gravitation-wheel-near-earth-like-planet-for-futuristic-273079601.jpg

Love classic sci-fi!

Although I stopped reading sci-fi about the time they started introducing dragons and other fantasy stories as science fiction. Turned me off to it I think. And yes that was a long time ago. Now I take in science/technology news and get my sci-fi from films.

A gorgeous image BTW.

And this image was used by Elon Musks company when they had the Mars colony stir.

It was used all over the internet and credited to them, unfortunately. I probably should have asked for recompense but I did not.

stock-photo-domed-city-in-inhospitable-planet-perhaps-mars-112443530.jpg

Every author has better and worse works. I never read one whose works are entirely masterpieces. This is true not for writers, but for musicians and artists as well.

But any good work inspires me still, even if they put the dragons in...

And here is my most sci-fi'ish footage:

http://www.shutterstock.com/video/clip-9571394-stock-footage-flying-saucers-looping-video-clip.html

And this image was used by Elon Musks company when they had the Mars colony stir.

It was used all over the internet and credited to them, unfortunately. I probably should have asked for recompense but I did not.

Lol, it seems that the Mars colony project is a very low-budget one so far if they are using micropayment imagery...

Ha! This should be the interior of my space wheel:

Here is one of my illustrations of an Oneil Cylinder.

stock-photo-multi-generational-colony-space-craft-interior-also-known-as-oneil-cylinder-154355480.jpg

Your port is quite impressive: Some of your illustrations would fit a P.K. story quite well.

Can you share more?

This is one I'm working on for my sci fi story, VE Day, for a Kindle book of short stories almost ready to release.

Thanks for sharing!

It's amazing how many illustrators are starting to build stories now behind their art.

Good luck with the story and the visualization.

This is a collage done on a photo I took in Rio, that had no microstock value due to framing, light and other issues.

I thought it would be interesting to compose it with a few of my 3D models.

stock-photo-alien-spaceship-fleet-nearing-the-sugarloaf-mountain-in-rio-de-janeiro-brazil-for-futuristic-218486575.jpg

It sells quite well, in spite of what I initially thought.

stock-photo-domed-city-in-inhospitable-planet-perhaps-mars-112443530.jpg

Impressive! Congratulations

This is a collage done on a photo I took in Rio, that had no microstock value due to framing, light and other issues.

I thought it would be interesting to compose it with a few of my 3D models.

stock-photo-alien-spaceship-fleet-nearing-the-sugarloaf-mountain-in-rio-de-janeiro-brazil-for-futuristic-218486575.jpg

It sells quite well, in spite of what I initially thought.

Gorgeous!

Verne, Asimov, Clarke, Bradbury, I get inn trogh them.

After, I find Ursula K Le Gunin, Sturgeon, P K Dick. And specially Cordwainer Smith.

I'm not an ilustrator, but I find this image used for Mars web artcles. It cames from an outdated transparecy with the wrong colors... that become the correct ones.

post-129539-14368382833389_thumb.jpg

Wonderful stuff. Totally love the space-stations. Love scifi illustration. Well, all media relating to scifi. I have a few ideas my self in a sketch book. Some in a story/animated cartoon idea still mostly in my brain for safe keeping. ;) Have to get a proper copyright after all.

Hasn't the oomph of the other posters but..

stock-photo-female-office-on-platform-near-command-tower-of-scifi-base-stationed-on-barren-planet-observes-187938416.jpg

This one is a cover for a classic sci fi collection on amazon

stock-photo-spacesuited-astronaut-with-satellite-in-low-orbit-76555945.jpg

Peter F Hamilton is worth a look if you like good old fashioned space opera (no nuclear ashtrays like Asimov). :-D

stock-photo-female-office-on-platform-near-command-tower-of-scifi-base-stationed-on-barren-planet-observes-187938416.jpg

Peter F Hamilton is worth a look if you like good old fashioned space opera (no nuclear ashtrays like Asimov). :-D

Nice Mike!

Excellent images Mike!

About sci-fi literature: I agree with Mike that Hamilton is a space opera titan, and, at its funny-end, so is Douglas Adams. I also believe that their books are so much more than good sci-fi.

About sci-fi microstock: This is one of my animations illustrating a space invasion

stock-photo--d-model-of-futuristic-space-ship-in-interstellar-travel-background-27566854.jpg

It is inserted in the forums using the: ... in the Message body on the left. I know this is no-news for most, but I am adding this info because it took me a while to figure this one out: How to insert an animation link to an image on a forum post :)

The above said, when doing a short, I typically select a few frames to render the 3D model at a high resolution - in order to sell them individually as illustrations. This has the added benefit of drawing attention to the animation/illustration (depending on the buyer's initial preference) and to indicate that the 3D model can be custom-posed or -animated in order to create new comps or sequences.

Do you have images, videos, thoughts on the process, authors who inspire your work?

Thanks for sharing your sci-fi art/enthusiasm here. I'll try my best to keep it going,

Daniela

About sci-fi literature: I agree with Mike that Hamilton is a space opera titan, and, at its funny-end, so is Douglas Adams. I also believe that their books are so much more than good sci-fi.

About sci-fi microstock: This is one of my animations illustrating a space invasion

stock-photo--d-model-of-futuristic-space-ship-in-interstellar-travel-background-27566854.jpg

It is inserted in the forums using the: ... in the Message body on the left. I know this is no-news for most, but I am adding this info because it took me a while to figure this one out: How to insert an animation link to an image on a forum post :)

The above said, when doing a short, I typically select a few frames to render the 3D model at a high resolution - in order to sell them individually as illustrations. This has the added benefit of drawing attention to the animation/illustration (depending on the buyer's initial preference) and to indicate that the 3D model can be custom-posed or -animated in order to create new comps or sequences.

Do you have images, videos, thoughts on the process, authors who inspire your work?

Thanks for sharing your sci-fi art/enthusiasm here. I'll try my best to keep it going,

Daniela

Very very nice port (I feel like the poor relation). Out of curiosity, what are you using to produce the images / video? If you're making the models, you could make a tidy sum marketing these through eon, daz etc.

Very very nice port (I feel like the poor relation). Out of curiosity, what are you using to produce the images / video? If you're making the models, you could make a tidy sum marketing these through eon, daz etc.

Thanks Mike! You have a cool port as well.

Regarding the software we (my partner and I) are using a combination of 3DS Max and AfterEffects for both images and video clips:

- 3DS to create the models and then animate them in .tga series (for the Alpha channel).

- AfterEffects to comp the animation and add the sfx - together with several plug-ins.

- The final video output comes from AE.

Haven't heard of eon or daz. Have thought to market the 3d models but I'm not sure there's a demand. I might be wrong - didn't really do my homework on this.

What I hope to achieve (with these posts) is to see if there are others that feel the same way about classic science-fiction: image, video, literature, even movies. Also to share ideas in making actual projects out of a hobby.

Thanks again!