Sign in to follow this  
dimjim

Preferred Footage Specs

I know about the specs for allowed footage, but what is acctually preferred by the downloaders?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

What sells and what doesn't....

For example:

- is 720x480 more versatile than 640x480?

- are 60 sec clips more in demand than 15 sec clips?

- do downloaders prefer quicktime or DV?

etc.

and here's a twister....is it better to isolate objects against white (as is tradition for photography) or green (greenscreen sort of thing)?

I know about the specs for allowed footage, but what is acctually preferred by the downloaders?

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing?

What sells and what doesn't....

For example:

- is 720x480 more versatile than 640x480?

- are 60 sec clips more in demand than 15 sec clips?

- do downloaders prefer quicktime or DV?

etc.

and here's a twister....is it better to isolate objects against white (as is tradition for photography) or green (greenscreen sort of thing)?

As far as codecs go, I would upload them in whatever codec comes by default with the camera you are using. For example, if you are using iMovie, it would make more sense to upload in MOV than it would to convert it to MPEG or DV. If you are uploading straight from your camera (which is OK but make sure it's exactly as you want it or it may get rejected).

This is a tricky question but if I were to download a clip, I would most likely think that footages with the wide screen dimensions would be of higher demand. Remember, if someone download's a 720x480 clip, you can still crop it to 640x480.

Are 60sec clips better than 15sec clips? Well, this depends on the clip itself. I would more so be asking the question of what you are filming. For example, if you are filming someone getting into and out of a car, then my question would be whether or not to upload that footage as 2 clips, or 1. That's really your decision as the videographer. If you decided to make them as 2 separate clips, then you would have to buy both clips if you needed both actions. If you had them as 1 clip, then you would be able to buy both in 1 shot. So I don't think time is the factor here. If you are shooting a background (or traffic) then I would shoot that for a minute (maybe 2 depending on the clip) and try and imagine what it would be used for so you can frame it properly. We've had some good submissions of traffic and water.

And for your last question, I'm no videographer but again, I would think that this would depend on what you are actually filming. With my above example, if you are filming someone getting into and out of a car, to me, it would seem better to do this on the street somewhere, than on a plain white screen. The scenery does make a difference, so maybe shoot the samething with different backgrounds.

Well, I hope I answered your question.

--Adam S. Kirschner

Programmer/Tech Support

ShutterStock, Inc.

I am a videographer and editor. Isn't footage in SD (720x486 or 480) pretty much useless? I edit everything in HD now. I posted a bunch of SD footage but realized the futility of the situation when it took an hour to upload a 40 meg SD clip. WHo is going to buy SD at this point??

I am only buying HD clips. I can always use them for SD projects. Plus in an SD project you can crop and zoom out in After Effects.

Good Luck ShutterStock Footage!!