photosky

Show your Vintage or Retro-styled photo

These haven't been approved yet (submitted though), but I've been messing with more extreme filters. Here are three variations on a theme:

Love these. Very impressionistic, with striking colors. Kindly let us know the referees' verdicts.

Well, i tried my hand at Vintage. I guess it's Not for me nor is the blur thing. submitted 42...40 rejected for WB and lighting. I thought they were fine. I submitted them to 9 sites . 8 took them and starting to sell. Oh Well.They were like these.Back to reality....lol

post-4812-14368382529662_thumb.jpg

post-4812-14368382529973_thumb.jpg

post-4812-14368382530241_thumb.jpg

Well, i tried my hand at Vintage. I guess it's Not for me nor is the blur thing. submitted 42...40 rejected for WB and lighting. I thought they were fine. I submitted them to 9 sites . 8 took them and starting to sell. Oh Well.They were like these.Back to reality....lol

Yep, similarly for me: the retro-styled images are nowhere close to my top-sellers as yet... *sigh*

However, the filters are not only fun to play with - they can be used if the pic's composition is great but original colors are lousy.

These haven't been approved yet (submitted though), but I've been messing with more extreme filters. Here are three variations on a theme:

Love these. Very impressionistic, with striking colors. Kindly let us know the referees' verdicts.

Here's the original:

stock-photo-photo-of-a-boardwalk-in-the-woods-in-spring-269489060.jpg

And here are the 3 that were approved:

stock-photo-photo-of-a-boardwalk-in-the-woods-in-spring-vintage-filter-added-269541620.jpg

stock-photo-photo-of-a-boardwalk-in-the-woods-in-spring-ghostly-filter-applied-269541605.jpg

stock-photo-photo-of-a-boardwalk-in-the-woods-in-spring-oil-painting-filter-added-269489054.jpg

I like X-treme NIK. (Filters once offered by Google free of charge).

This is an old (1896) industrial soap factory in Wormerveer North Holland, now a listed building. The bird is an eagle (hence the name 'Adelaar= Eagle'). To avoid rejection and disappointment at the hands of the reviewers, I don't submit this sort of heavily messed-with shot! But I do think that the treatment adds something!206739144_NickPic0232020-09-2115_55_36.jpg.2cb0765a1fddb7ee5b7a7c222f1d65e0.jpg

NickPic022 2020-09-21, 15_55_00.jpg

Maybe not so interesting but the reason for calling a soap factory a zeepziederij in Dutch come from the old method used to make soap (zeep). They used to 'simmer' fat/oil with caustic soda for days until they had soap. Zieden is the Dutch word for 'simmer' and the word is also used in exactly the same way as in English when someone is 'simmering with rage'!

On 9/21/2020 at 9:19 AM, stevemart said:

Maybe not so interesting but the reason for calling a soap factory a zeepziederij in Dutch come from the old method used to make soap (zeep). They used to 'simmer' fat/oil with caustic soda for days until they had soap. Zieden is the Dutch word for 'simmer' and the word is also used in exactly the same way as in English when someone is 'simmering with rage'!

Almost all of it, interesting. Soap Simmer The Eagle - what's the 'J mean? I know no Dutch and didn't find anything fast and easy looking at a translation page.

I have the free NIK and it still works. Mostly use Dfine and haven't even noticed X-Treme filters, maybe I should look? 👍

I tend to stay away from filters but this one, the only way to get it to pass was make a B&W vector. Elgin Cathedral ruins which was a film photo from 1988. (or slide?)

ruins-historic-church-cathedral-front-60

Now it's an illustration. 🙂

Same for this, which was a real photo turned into a vector illustration.

stonehenge-black-white-illustration-real

I don't think I need to explain the location?

The 'j' in Dutch is mostly used with the letter 'i' to make the vowel sound like a 'y' ( actually it sounds more like the 'ei' in Eiffel Tower). The fact that they used a small 'i' with capital 'J' may be the old-fashioned way of doing it or it may be for the graphic form because now, according to Wiki:

"The IJ is a body of water, formerly a bay, in the Dutch province of North Holland. It is known for being Amsterdam's waterfront. Its name is from an obsolete Dutch word meaning "water". The name consists of the digraph ij, which behaves like a single letter. Therefore both letters are capitalized; cf. IJmuiden."

When used in other words it's just 'ij'.

In Dutch the letter 'i' alone is pronounced more like an English 'ee'.

Nice Elgin cathedral ruin and StonedHenge BTW. 😄

IJ.jpg

Thanks @stevemart only way I could get that color slide to pass here.

And thanks whoever pointed to the feature on NIC, which I never looked at.

Just an offside note. On XP only Dfine and few parts of the software worked, I never got into the better features. Now with a Windows 10 computer, everything works.

Of course why would I want to make a digital image, look like film? I can't get 1960s slide film images accepted on agencies because of grain and focus. 😟

On 9/24/2020 at 5:52 PM, HodagMedia said:

Thanks @stevemart only way I could get that color slide to pass here.

And thanks whoever pointed to the feature on NIC, which I never looked at.

Just an offside note. On XP only Dfine and few parts of the software worked, I never got into the better features. Now with a Windows 10 computer, everything works.

Of course why would I want to make a digital image, look like film? I can't get 1960s slide film images accepted on agencies because of grain and focus. 😟

In the 60's I only had a 127 Brownie and B&W film. Didn't know of the existence of slide film. 🙂

However, in the 70's and 80's I used almost exclusively slide film. Most of that will not pass muster here when digitized but some did especially when taken with prime lenses on my Olympus OM cameras. The 18mm and 21mm lenses were particularly sharp but the 35-70mm f4 zoom was pretty sh*t. I found a relatively expensive way to get good digitzed copies of slides using the latest Tamron 90mm macro on a Nikon D800and Topaz AI Noise on the RAW files. Mostly I reduced the copy to half (D800) size to get accepted.

Example from Kodachrome 64 (I think) from '78 or '79:

deserted-seaside-cafe-terrace-tables-600

empty-rails-converging-perspective-alpinProbably Fuji 100 or Ektachrome 64 from 1980

During lockdown I actually spent a lot of time digitzing my old slides (mostly but not exclusively 35mm) using the above technique...strewth 300+ photos!

https://stevemartin.viewbook.com/album/covidaze

Something to do in the Winter here. Someone wants some prints of old slides. That means I have to get out the Nikon scanner, find the last XP computer that has a SCSI card. Put the slides in and this time, use the finer mode that takes a couple minutes, instead of the one minute scans. Worst of all for me is the dust and what-not that from a 35mm film slide or negative, becomes huge blobs of "artifacts".

Yours worked out nice. I do have a slide duplicator now, using the Macro lens and since the size is the size of the digital camera, better than a scanner. I bought a rail that holds the camera and extension tubes, all that, the point is keeping it all perfectly parallel.

I still rank old film and slides, in the area of entertainment. I'm not sure there's much demand for my pictures from the 60s? 🙂 (or 70s or 80s or...)

Like this for a bad example?

film-scan-specks.jpg

I mean aside from the grain, the scanner tends to light up anything that reflects. Well for $10,000 I could go back and re-shoot these? 👍

hill-o-many-stanes-1988.jpg

The text on the sign looks fairly sharp but the fine detail in the grass looks mushy. The first shot is just a dusty horror story.😲 Some of my old slides were licensed by Art Unlimited for printing cards and they came back from the lithographer/printer all covered in crap from the oil they used on their drum scanners. I once had a request from some government agency in France for a shot they had seen on an Art Unlimited card and they insisted that I send only the original 35mm slide. When I tried to copy it with my Nikon D80 and 105mm micro-Nikkor, I realised that my copy was pathetic compared to theirs (presumably also done on a drum scanner).

I'm now pretty pleased with my latest method and could perhaps only improve on it using a Nikon D850 instead of the D800. When the slide is good to start with (usually taken with a prime lens on 35mm), getting a 10Mp file output (reduced from around 30Mp) that passes muster here is quite satisfying.

stock-photo-traditional-cotswold-uk-anci

Yes, it's entertaining, but for me, the time spent on old slides, is just for the challenge, I don't see any great sales future in them. My best results have been just using a slide copier, or anything with a digital camera, same as you. Slide scanners seem to make everything more complicated and don't give the best results.

boat-marina-at-night-reflections-web.jpg

Focus: The main subject is out of focus or is not in focus due to camera shake, motion blur, overuse of noise reduction, or technical limitations of the equipment used (e.g. autofocus searching, camera sensor quality, etc).

I liked it? 2cents.gif Yeah it was a slide from 1968

OK I guess that one hits the bit bucket? 😉