Hello All, Having a TERRIBLE Feb. Anyone else having a BIG drop? And any idea why?? Is there a big promo on at all the competitors? Do I just need to upload more (not done so for ages)?

Come on Sales, I'VE GOT A MORTGAGE TO PAY!

All the best, Barney, foodonwhite

Barney, hi.

You're making a significant contribution to a mortgage with about 340 images?

Nice work I grant you, but that's pretty impressive! And people say isolations on white are old hat...

Gary

Barney, hi.

Nice work I grant you, but that's pretty impressive! And people say isolations on white are old hat...

Gary

Well isolated on white is alive, well and never been better if you ask me.

You just need to find a niche to be cornered.

Just wishing SS is gonna allow to upload transparent PNGs, TIFFs or PSDs in one day.

That will be awesome for isolated stuff... No more clipping paths.

having a good Feb in terms of money, but the number of downloaded images decreases from month to month ... and today is Friday, and Fridays have become new Saturdays with single digit downloads... sad

+1

second friday in a row with less images than saturday or sunday. btw, sunday was my best day this week. this site became such a disappointment. never this bad. waiting for Q4/2016 SS results next week. 

Barney, hi.

Gary

Hello Gary,

My biggest sellers are all vector illustrations or visuals. I DID start off with food on white BGs, (hence the name!) but soon realised my vectors seemed to be WAY more popular. Although I DO get the occasional big surprise download for a random onion or cucumber!

Barney, hi.

Gary

...but yes, I WAS getting a steady 400 pounds a month until recently. It's impossible to tell what will be a big seller. I can spend hours working on what I think will earn me tonnes, then it just dissappears into obscurity, but a visual of a drinks can just keeps selling and selling!??  I don't suppose you ever thought a fuse box or a pair of slippers would be at the top of your most popular shots!

BTW how do you get around selling branded images??

Im a newbie here. 

Started 2 weeks ago.

In my first week, with around 30 images i had 24 downloads and was pretty happy with the results.

The second week though...increased my portfolio to around 100 images..and only got 3 downloads in 7 days :D

Is there any possible reasons i get 24 downloads in the first week..and almost 0 in the second week even though i increased my portfolio from 30 to 100?

this can't be a coincidence, because it happens daily: after 3 dead hours, a sale comes. that only proves that sales are engineered and images displayed to customers as search results at predetermined intervals. no way can it happen randomly!

Well almost everyday I check my images on SS via search function and I never saw one of my images dissaperared but only changes occasionally in popular images ranking just by 2-3 images maximum which is normal.

I even checked it via VPN connection for several times with incognito browsing if there is such a pattern but nothing changed. They were still there.

I dont think there is an engineered turn on/off pattern there. My sales are pretty normal at the moment, just a very small seasonal decline which is normal for my portfolio.

We dont need another conspiracy theory I believe.

Im a newbie here. 

Started 2 weeks ago.

In my first week, with around 30 images i had 24 downloads and was pretty happy with the results.

The second week though...increased my portfolio to around 100 images..and only got 3 downloads in 7 days :D

Is there any possible reasons i get 24 downloads in the first week..and almost 0 in the second week even though i increased my portfolio from 30 to 100?

Hi Peter,

Welcome to SS.

Its pretty normal and almost same for everyone with new portfolio. I remember my first uploads 7 years ago and happened the exact same thing. The reason u get downloads is probably your files are can be found under new files section when users search for new uploads and luckily you get the downloads from them.

Until you reach at least 200-300 images you will see these no sale periods very often. Nowadays its very very rare form me with a day that no sales at all. Last year I only got 2 days without sales.

Just improve your portfolio by uploading high quality images. I can recommend 100 per month for the beginning but if you can do more you will see traction in no time.

Happy shootings :)

Well almost everyday I check my images on SS via search function and I never saw one of my images dissaperared but only changes occasionally in popular images ranking just by 2-3 images maximum which is normal.

I even checked it via VPN connection for several times with incognito browsing if there is such a pattern but nothing changed. They were still there.

I dont think there is an engineered turn on/off pattern there. My sales are pretty normal at the moment, just a very small seasonal decline which is normal for my portfolio.

We dont need another conspiracy theory I believe.

you may call it a conspiracy theory, but this is what i see every day. registered users get their search results based on their location, browsing and buying history, used keywords, etc. so default user, not logged in, might see the same results no matter where s/he comes from. logged buyer from america will see different things for certain keywords than buyer looking for the same keywords in asia. so, yes, if every day i experience several 2 or 3 hour long gaps and then 5 images sell in 5 minutes, i think it's engineered. pretty easy to do (ok, with programming skills of ss programmers probably a bit more difficult). the problem is, until november, i had 1 or 2 such gaps a day, but since then it's 4-5 times a day. most of my images sell in a bunch of 45 minutes timeframes.

you may call it a conspiracy theory, but this is what i see every day. registered users get their search results based on their location, browsing and buying history, used keywords, etc. so default user, not logged in, might see the same results no matter where s/he comes from. logged buyer from america will see different things for certain keywords than buyer looking for the same keywords in asia. so, yes, if every day i experience several 2 or 3 hour long gaps and then 5 images sell in 5 minutes, i think it's engineered. pretty easy to do (ok, with programming skills of ss programmers probably a bit more difficult). the problem is, until november, i had 1 or 2 such gaps a day, but since then it's 4-5 times a day. most of my images sell in a bunch of 45 minutes timeframes.

Well that explanation definitely not apply with my sales pattern which is pretty everywhere around the world with pretty consistent sales since 12 months. Relevant results via geographic location and according to search history for logged in users is possible and acceptable but I dont think portfolios or images are gonna vanish. So that would be leads to SS does not want our files sold!? Then what is the point of adding 1M images per week? That does not add up with that.

We can make up any story for low sales. Because of too many files, too many contributors, many many agencies, low prices, search engine engineering, no electricity, because of Trump or black cat under the ladder...

I only see three big problems because of low sales. Contributors does not follow up the trends, not generating high quality of files with enough quantity (at least 50-100 per week) and they are not accepting this as a business.

There is nothing we can do about price changes, huge amount files or oversaturation. But since I started to follow this forum I analyzed what I am doing right and wrong and what other contributors are doing right and wrong or does not aware what is right. I can name some of the things that most of contirbutors are not doing or wrong:

1.Almost every photographer generating same type of content even most of they think they are unique (which is absolutely not) or cannot generate the same content with unique style or lack of imagination. Applying waterbrush filter simply does not make a photo great if the photo is poor.

2.Low amount of files in portfolios.

3.Doing it like a hobby. Hobbies are just hobbies for spending time in return of nothing but fun...

4.Again, not seeing it as a business. All businesses needs an good organization, planning, marketing and seeing the future prospects. If you cant come with a good idea about what to shoot next or create, your management skills are not more than average Joe's.

5.Not following up trends and lack of research. Do the photographers or illustrators really know what type of imagery needed by advertising agencies? I can bet %80 of contributors does not know anything about of that. And almost all of forum contributors does not aware of that as far as I can see from their portfolios. And almost all SS buyers are from advertising agencies, small or big. I know, I worked in some of them.

There are more things I can write but these are most important ones.

Well that explanation definitely not apply with my sales pattern which is pretty everywhere around the world with pretty consistent sales since 12 months. Relevant results via geographic location and according to search history for logged in users is possible and acceptable but I dont think portfolios or images are gonna vanish. So that would be leads to SS does not want our files sold!? Then what is the point of adding 1M images per week? That does not add up with that.

what i'm saying is that when my images get pushed down the search pages, other contributors' ports are pushed forward. so, my images are still there, just pushed to page #22443. :D

i agree with some of your other points. but vast majority of contributors who write on the forum report declining sales. everyone i personaly know lost 30-50 % of downloads/earnings.

SS lost 5% of downloads in Q3/2016 compared to Q2. 

my port off again :(

if that on/off pattern really happened , from Monday-Friday is about 3-4 times ur port will turned off, u can see from the daily earnings report, 

the off condition it does not mean no sales .., but a decline in sales

i hope its just a theory

what i'm saying is that when my images get pushed down the search pages, other contributors' ports are pushed forward. so, my images are still there, just pushed to page #22443. :D

i agree with some of your other points. but vast majority of contributors who write on the forum report declining sales. everyone i personaly know lost 30-50 % of downloads/earnings.

SS lost 5% of downloads in Q3/2016 compared to Q2. 

Pushing back and forth between pages is something else, completely vanishing is other.

But I have another theory for that. Established files are established so their ranks are not easily change because of huge amount of DLs they recieved. But for low downloaded or newer files are can change their positions drastically. For example.

Lets say everyone uploaded 10000 images of apple photo at the same time and 100 apples with green colored gets 2 download, 100 red colored gets 1. Then one of the red apples gets 2 more downloads. So that red colored apple with 3 downloads gets the number one position, But the next day 100 of green apple colored images gets 4 downloads. So what happens that red apple with 3 downloads? Its ranking gets 101... and this thing goes on...

And every day almost 100000 images are uploaded, so file positions for new or low downloaded files can be changed abruptly...

And I believe that is the only one of the negative aspect of accepting huge amount of files inside the system.

http://www.[do_not_advertise_other_microstock_groups]/index.php?page=PollResults  <--- MSG backs up the decline.

msg.PNG

With a large sample size shows SS on a plateau then a nosedive on a trend that in a month or so will have it below IS and other formerly much smaller agencies.  It's a 25% drop in 3 months for earnings.

January worst month in 2 years. February worst month in 3 years. ELs completely gone. SODs, running about 25% of norm

Same - ELs gone completely and now SODs only under 5USD - all the big SODs and ELs that were making up for low sub sales have gone.

I woke up today and saw a boost in earnings, as often happens end of the month and... and then I saw some 'as rare as hen's teeth' ... an EL sale! Only $15 or so... what did they use to be... about $28?

Anyway, a nice surprise... and very surprised at the image that was chosen too. 

The EL's died off this time last year after the changes made in January 2016... changes that were suppose to bring A LOT MORE EL sales... I wonder who got a promotion for implementing that great idea?

Wont even make payout! At least 70% down compared to last year (10 zero days last month and 7 this month, hardly any ODs etc). Lowest sales for 6 years, for me seems it's just not worth uploading anymore.  

At least on iS for me the sales are consistent. When I was regularly uploading my sales were constantly increasing. Since last July when they made announcements of changes I stopped uploading there while I waited to see what would happen. The result was sales have been constant each month since then. Even though I agree it's disgusting not being able to see the sales, they do keep bringing in a regular income with only half the files I have here.

On SS this Feb is another WME for me. The drop just continues.....