Yeah. It's very strange when you have an image that is many years old and much lower quality... and you have newer versions of the same theme that are so much better...... why would someone deliberately choose the older and poorer one? It has to be something to do with the search, because otherwise there's no way!

• Replies 6.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And right on cue, big head arrives.

After 13 dry days, made 25 cents today. Cause for celebration I guess. Let the champagne flow.

34 cents for my videos. What an insult imagine what I could have earned from those not so long ago. Dire. Depressing. Unethical. Greedy

Posted Images

exactly.    As far as the search goes, it's been a long time since it made any sense to me.  There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how the results come up for a keyword search.  For most keywords that I type in, the results look reasonable for a few pages and then you start to see dozens of images by the same contributor that are all very similar to each other and seem extremely unlikely to be deemed as 'popular'.  So, if I were a buyer, ...at that point ...when all of the boring duplicates start popping up, I would stop wasting my time with the site.

When our own portfolios do not even come close to being accurate as far as 'popularity' goes, how can we expect for the general search to be accurate?  When new images that have just been added and have yet to sell, show up at the top of the first page in my gallery while some of my photos that have sold thousands of times (and have sold recently as well) are showing up several pages back, it destroys any confidence that I had in the search algorithms.  I know we've talked about this many times in this forum and I know it doesn't do any good to keep rehashing it but I do wish there was some logic to it. 

Personally, I would like to have an option to arrange my portfolio the way I would like it to be...to showcase my best work  =)   Since we can't control our gallery, I was excited when the Sets option became available so we could manage that ourselves... but - the way it's set up just isn't user friendly (in my opinion)  I would like to be able to add a fresh new image into a set and have it show up at the beginning of that Set.  Unless, I'm missing something, you have to start all over and recreate a set,  in order to place the new work at the top of the page and that's too time consuming. 

The other thing I've noticed it that's it's usually not just one random old image that sells instead of a newer, better one. If it always happened that way then Ok - maybe someone just really prefers the older image for some reason. But it will be a day of mainly old images selling in different areas of the map. So for some reason that day the SS search is hiding my new stuff and pushing the old stuff in buyers' faces? If the search was showing properly "similar images" and others of my images then I'd expect buyers to see there was something better and buy that. Not surprisingly, the days when only old images sell are days when sales are low.

And, yes there is still definitely something wrong with how the images are sorted. I'm still seeing images that have sold a few times showing as "undiscovered".

exactly.    As far as the search goes, it's been a long time since it made any sense to me.  There just doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how the results come up for a keyword search.  For most keywords that I type in, the results look reasonable for a few pages and then you start to see dozens of images by the same contributor that are all very similar to each other and seem extremely unlikely to be deemed as 'popular'.  So, if I were a buyer, ...at that point ...when all of the boring duplicates start popping up, I would stop wasting my time with the site.

When our own portfolios do not even come close to being accurate as far as 'popularity' goes, how can we expect for the general search to be accurate?  When new images that have just been added and have yet to sell, show up at the top of the first page in my gallery while some of my photos that have sold thousands of times (and have sold recently as well) are showing up several pages back, it destroys any confidence that I had in the search algorithms.  I know we've talked about this many times in this forum and I know it doesn't do any good to keep rehashing it but I do wish there was some logic to it. 

Personally, I would like to have an option to arrange my portfolio the way I would like it to be...to showcase my best work  =)   Since we can't control our gallery, I was excited when the Sets option became available so we could manage that ourselves... but - the way it's set up just isn't user friendly (in my opinion)  I would like to be able to add a fresh new image into a set and have it show up at the beginning of that Set.  Unless, I'm missing something, you have to start all over and recreate a set,  in order to place the new work at the top of the page and that's too time consuming. 

I don't think anyone has understood it ever since they changed everything over two years ago which started this downhill path for so many of us. Strange how they keep all the variables "secret" and don't give us the full information. All I know is that once what was our most popular images suddenly over night were not and nothing has made sense since then. The one constant that I see is that since then there seems to be so many more problems with the entire site. They don't even have time to fix the number of posts someone has issue. Ever since it went public and the suits took over it has not been the same.

I guess it has been about 2 years, Dave.  I knew it had been a while but didn't realize that much time had passed.  I just think they should change the name of the search mode from POPULAR to something else ...like "Our picks for the day"!  or bring back the Random mode because it's definitely misleading and "Popularity "clearly has nothing to do with the order of the images...at least not in my gallery.

and yes, Algol, I have noticed the same pattern with some days where only the really old images surface and you can tell first thing off in the morning if it's going to be one of those days.  It's so discouraging.

With increasing uploads / decreasing income if I work really hard this year I'm sure I can get my income down to zero! :(

lol!  Exactly Baz!... I need a couple of ELs (the old ones, at 28$ not the new and improved 19$ ones!) to get this month out of the gutter... sold one Snowy owl shot today, the first one since uploading, I Wonder if I should celebrate?

:wacko:

I get the impression everything is less popular in the last fortnight. :(

But at least I spent a happy few minutes today in a book store rearranging the science fiction section so that all my covers were at the front ;)

Some even have a credit to me, although most are just to the cover designer and image agency. Nice to see them in print, usually I only see them on Amazon.