On 7/20/2020 at 9:46 AM, GHProductions said:

Footage sales dropped 75%! My footage sales dropped by 50% over the last 18 months. Since the beginning of 2020 they have been 25% of what they had been previously a couple of years ago. This month, July 2020 they have virtually ceased. What was a decent income has disappeared very rapidly. Just wondering if other footage contributors have seen similar declines?

Yes, I have very similar numbers as you do. I am at only 1/4 of what I used to get from stock footage in general from all platforms. I have over 30K clips on net. When I read how many companies round the world were closed and so on and so on and so on ... And UK government send about M$500 to film industry because of Covid-19, and perhaps other countries will do something same. I think this is new reality for some time. If your clips (as mine) are not in demand now, we will not have sales. I'm reading many authors are facing same destiny. Sad ...

Best wishes!

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

When I read how many companies round the world were closed and so on and so on and so on ... And UK government send about M$500 to film industry because of Covid-19, and perhaps other countries will do something same. 

My husband works as an extra in films etc (in England) and he has just received his first job request for months. A series called The Nevers. They are doing Covid testing which is reassuring. So things are picking up.

12 minutes ago, Studio 2 said:

My husband works as an extra in films etc (in England) and he has just received his first job request for months. A series called The Nevers. They are doing Covid testing which is reassuring. So things are picking up.

Cool! I am glad! :)

1 hour ago, Studio 2 said:

That’s really cool ! 

9 minutes ago, Evelyn de Waard said:

That’s really cool ! 

He loves it. Gets close to famous actors and gets to work on some lush sets. He's been in The Crown a few times 😊

2 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

He loves it. Gets close to famous actors and gets to work on some lush sets. He's been in The Crown a few times 😊

Sounds really amazing, and I can fully relate to your husband loving it ! 😄 

And you just reminded me to watch The Crown on Netflix. Maybe I can spot him (only 5 seasons to watch..) 😉

2 hours ago, Studio 2 said:

Awesome! I've seen all the seasons. Who is he on the show?

32 minutes ago, balajisrinivasan said:

Awesome! I've seen all the seasons. Who is he on the show?

He's an extra so no speaking lines. From memory he's in a line up when one of the royals leaves the palace and a doorman in a room Churchill is in and at a party that includes Princess Margaret. He got on the screen for those scenes. There are lots of scenes that get cut though.

3 hours ago, Charles Lewis said:

Verrrry slow start to August. Has everyone gone on vacation?

I'm hoping the slowness is due to the technical problems with the database updates last weekend.

I've only had 6 sales this month so far - all of them on Monday...
I hope the situation will change again soon. It's quite depressing - especially after I just have reached level 4...

During typically strong months earlier in the year I would see $50+ in sales by end of first week of the new month.

Five days in this month... 52 cents.

52 freakin cents.

Something is surely up because I've not seen SS slide so far down in earnings ratings as the below running poll on Microstock Group shows - SS is almost always at the top of the ladder.

SS need to lift their game because you can bet if contributors are seeing big drops in earnings sales (despite the new payment structure) so too is the agency and this will be painfully obvious in their next quarterly report. 

image.png.09fab0e43acfece08a076a7c6664f7a9.png

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

if contributors are seeing big drops in earnings sales (despite the new payment structure) so too is the agency 

Contributors are seeing big drops in earnings because of the new structure. The agency is benefiting from our loss. However maybe you are just talking numbers of sales rather than 'earnings'....

2 hours ago, Steven Tritton said:

Five days in this month... 52 cents.

There were only 3 workdays this month, it means nothing. If I remember correctly, you had some good months after the change.

Concerning the low number of contributors who rate on that poll, it is totally irrelevant, it always was.

I've had my first "big" sale ever. I sold like half a year ago a picture for 10$ and a few days ago I sold one for 40$, which made July my BME. If that had been a regular download I would have made about half what I was making before the SS payment changes. 

On 8/4/2020 at 12:45 AM, Studio 2 said:

My husband works as an extra in films etc (in England) and he has just received his first job request for months.

I missed out on a chance to be an extra in the Titanic movie. They were running an ad in the San Diego reader specifically looking for Europeans, but for many stupid reasons I didn't apply. Will forever regret that one.

22 minutes ago, Milo J said:

I missed out on a chance to be an extra in the Titanic movie. They were running an ad in the San Diego reader specifically looking for Europeans, but for many stupid reasons I didn't apply. Will forever regret that one.

I got lucky back in the summer of 2000. Visiting my girlfriend in Rome, I saw a similar advert asking for English and Irish extras for a film being made at Cinecitta studios. I thought, why not give it a go. Lined up for 5 hours in the Italian heat with several hundred other people, and was successful. I had no idea what the film was about and who was directing. Then found out shortly before filming started, it was by one of my all time favourite film makers. Martin Scorsese! I was due back to the UK after my summer break in Rome, but ended up staying until the end of the shoot 7 months later. I started off as an extra in Daniel Day-Lewis gang, but due to my height (not acting!) became a stand-in for Liam Neeson, Jim Broadbent, Brendan Gleeson and John C Reilly. And on one memorable occasion, Day-Lewis, when his usual stand-in was not available. The film, Gangs of New York. I got paid for this brilliant experience!

@M. W. Hunt must of got paid well for that? Did you earn more from your extra roles there than on Shutterstock? :D

@Milo J I had a similar outcome - a chance in around 1999 to audition for Potatoe Factory which I think is a mini tv series, but couldn't on the day as was house minding and had to vacate the same day as the audition. 

I use to go to school with Mark Spain - same year same roll call class - young actor in Ginger Meggs, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Restless Years soap opera....

https://www.boyactors.org.uk/actor.php?ref=121

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Spain_(actor)

1 hour ago, Steven Tritton said:

@M. W. Hunt must of got paid well for that? Did you earn more from your extra roles there than on Shutterstock? :D

@Milo J I had a similar outcome - a chance in around 1999 to audition for Potatoe Factory which I think is a mini tv series, but couldn't on the day as was house minding and had to vacate the same day as the audition. 

I use to go to school with Mark Spain - same year same roll call class - young actor in Ginger Meggs, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Restless Years soap opera....

https://www.boyactors.org.uk/actor.php?ref=121

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Spain_(actor)

@Steven Tritton   I was paid 180,000 a day! Back in the lire days, when 3000 equaled a pound! So yes, much more than money made here 😂

7 hours ago, Milo J said:

So you seem to be the only one regretting not to have been on the Titanic 😉

4 hours ago, oleschwander said:

What a story ..! Could you really tear out 7 moths of you ‘calender’ and you get paid all 7 months ..?

@oleschwander, I ended up staying in Rome long term. Yes it was paid for the whole 7 months. I was lucky enough to attend the wrap party at the end. Hosted inside the NY set. 👍