I hope things will get better in time for all of us. I don't have big expectations for myself tough; we will see how things will progress in time for the new comers (like me). Following the forum for sometime and apparently, the sales are dropping for everyone for a long period of time. Some said, the last two months are bad, some said since April things are slow, even some senior users mentioned how their sales are dropping among the years. I think the best days of this site (in terms of contributor's income) has gone long time ago. Still, it's the biggest and one of the most well known sites all across the web.

Good luck and good sales to all of us.

I doubt things will get better. It's only logical: There are almost 1.5 million new images added to Shutterstock each week. That means 1-1.5 million new competition each week. But while the supply of images get's raised drastically in a short amount of time, the demand for images by customers basically stays the same.
And even if just half of the new submission are decent and the other half is of poor quality because Shutterstock seems to have low acceptance standards, that is still a huge number and the poor quality submissions also add to the fact that good images get drowned and are harder to find. 
It's really not rocket since that sales for most individuals will get lower over time and that this is not avertable. Even if Shutterstock had higher standards, that would still happen, just not so fast.

59 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

I think you meant to say "based on a conspiracy theory😉

Lol, hey! That's my conspiracy theory! It's really more of a hypothesis and I'm working on a full study to prove or disprove it. Would you like to be the control group? All you have to do is NOT COMPLAIN on the forums and report whether your sales suck or not. The test group COMPLAINS on the forums and quanitifies their results. So far, in my limited pilot study (one test subject), I have found a direct correlation between a complaint and a sale. Not saying it's a proven theory, just saying it's not disproven as yet. :)

1 minute ago, Amanda Wayne said:

Lol, hey! That's my conspiracy theory! It's really more of a hypothesis and I'm working on a full study to prove or disprove it. Would you like to be the control group? All you have to do is NOT COMPLAIN on the forums and report whether your sales suck or not. The test group COMPLAINS on the forums and quanitifies their results. So far, in my limited pilot study (one test subject), I have found a direct correlation between a complaint and a sale. Not saying it's a proven theory, just saying it's not disproven as yet. :)

I should add that the theory is not at all new and many of the old timers will recognize that years ago, some were saying "when I complain on the forum, I get more sales".  I think it's more like when the temperature is unusually cold, it's bound to warm up, Or if the days are getting shorter and shorter and you sacrifice a chicken, the days will get longer again. 😉 So my theory is, when sales are slower than usual, shaking your Mojo Charm Chain will make the sales come back. (or posting on the forum, would have the same direct relationship?) The same chain works on slot machines. But only if you believe...

good_luck_mojo_chain.jpg

As a matter of fact and logic, no one can prove something is NOT happening, so the evidence and proof that something is going on and related is the responsibility of the person making the claim. It's impossible to prove that something does not exist. Any theory or conspiracy theory or whatever one may want to call that, is scientifically provable.

Just provide information and evidence that you can verify, specifically with a neutral third-party that would prove the theory actually exists. In other words, just because lots of people believe in Santa Claus, that is not a proof that he actually exists. So any theory about any microstock site, and sales would need something more than a number of people repeating the same claims and agreement. Something like detailed data as evidence would be very convincing to me?  😎

2 minutes ago, mandritoiu said:

Lol. You don't need me. You have plenty of complainers here, to test your "theory" on. 😉

But what you describe is just a potential correlation. A theory needs causation, in order to be a theory. So what is the "causation" of your "theory"?

Hmm... The theory is a work in progress. However, I should think it's obvious. Clearly, SS is nefariously altering it's machinations to build it's evil empire of blurry snapshots. Only by complaining of low sales on the "unrelated" forums can we put a stop to this evil empire's plot and save the Galaxy.

This is purely for fun. I don't mean any of it! SS gods please don't punish me with your might wrath!  Ignore this pissant peasant's futile rebellion of words! Thou art truly magnificent. :):)

29 minutes ago, Amanda Wayne said:

I can report that it has worked for me before. A few times I noticed. But not today. So maybe there are other factors to take into account besides just simply complaining / not complaining. Maybe the time of posting, the aligning of stars, the chinese zodiac, what we had for breakfast, the color of our current undies; who knows. Or maybe it didn't work for me today because I blatantly expected it in my post and SS was like, "huh? thought you figured us out haven't you?"

I tested Amanda's theory by complaining about lack of video sales, but no success. Must have sacrificed the wrong bird at Thanksgiving.

1 hour ago, Simone Hogan said:

I tested Amanda's theory by complaining about lack of video sales, but no success. Must have sacrificed the wrong bird at Thanksgiving.

LOL :D I suspect it is just a coincidence of making a sale after posting here.. Will let you know if I am able to sell anything after this message on. fingers crossed...

Maybe not a theory but a hypothesis??? Isn't that how all scientific research is conducted? Form a hypothesis, collect data, test data, throw out useless data, form a new hypothesis based on valid data, and start all over again. 

lol

this is a crazy thread. 

I have a theory - or maybe its a hypothesis ???? Contributors who don't have much holiday stock, don't sell much at this time of the year. 😉

Just kidding around guys. Merry Christmas to all 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDTRE0aQwl8vzdXXKppUxFA here is the link I've found that made a great videos about stock photography(and videography) and whats trending in the year to come and what sells and more about rejections. I have read that more videos about stock photography will be uploaded soon. Great inputs and very well explained.