ruxpriencdiam

Doom & Gloom 2

2,562 posts in this topic

I have to wonder whether a site like unsplash is taking away sales from traditional stock by being free. Bloggers etc that might have paid for content now have (curated) work offered for free and all offered work is predicated with 'use it for whatever you want...it is completely free'. A lot of 'free stock' in the past has been junk OOF rejects etc but not on unsplash where there's a fair bit of food photography that's quality.

I must admit that I was amazed at first to see relatively high-quality work being offered for free. My thoughts were, "Don't these people realise that they could sell that work for money on SS etc." But I reckon there's another dynamic at work here. It's all about getting followers/hits to your Instagram and social media accounts/blog(s) where the money is made from paid advertising and the occasional/or frequent commission. The work offered free is like the loss leader in the supermarket to get 'em in the door.

6 hours ago, sarah2 said:

I'm sure these sites don't help. But that would be a general decline. Not off a cliff!

Second time that's happened to me here. First was in 2013. Both times is a sudden drop of a substantial amount and no recovery back to previous levels.

For many years I was exclusive contributor on other microstock agency. Now i became independent and after 5 weeks I can see that new files on shutterstock are selling terrible. On other microstock agency my sales goes straigt up, but here sales looks like rollercoster. In half a month I doubled my portfolio but download number fall down. Still don't get it. How is it even possible? 

imageperformance.jpg