Refunded Per Pic Sales

Is anyone else getting a lot of their per picture sales refunded to the customer lately? I have a had three refunded in the past week or so - one of which had been purchased a month ago! I don't get it. Why would someone download a photo and then a month later request a refund?

Is anyone else experiencing this?

And yes, I have contacted support about it. I am waiting for a response but was curious as to how common this is.

No, it hasn't happened to me, but I thought about this: What if the person who downloads something from the per-pic site later finds out he could have bought the same photo cheaper on another site. What's to stop him from requesting a refund and buying it cheaper elsewhere? I wonder if this is what happened to you?

Yes, this happened to me too. I assumed there was a problem with the image and I deactivated it. Guess I was a bit hasty. You make a good point, Anita, and this mode of thinking could be the culprit!

I would think there should be a time limit on refunds. The customer should have 24 hours or so within which time he/she could be refunded if the image was poor quality or the download was an accident. But there is absolutely no legitimate reason a custom should be refunded days, weeks, or even a month after the purchase.

There is another thread in regards to this but not much difference in response. You are not the only one. I had all 3 refunded and another friend also had his refunded. I think the person who downloaded them may have done it all by mistake ie: instead of downloading them as normal d/l, he/she clicked PPS by mistake ? a new member perhaps ?Simple in explaination I know, just an opinion.

Then again, Anita, you've got a valid point there.

here is the other link

http://submit.shutterstock.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8231

Julia

Hasn't happened to me yet but it could be that the buyer user a fraudulent account or something. If the payment didnt clear for some reason then they probably take the payment away from your account. I remember long ago that it was a problem but it was only for the subscription model and SS absorbed the loses rather then deduct them from the photographers accounts.

Okay, this is getting crazy. I had two more per pic sales yesterday, and today the were both refunded. Someone is clearly abusing the system. I am not willing to keep giving my photos away for free like this. If it doesn't stop I will be deactivating my photos from the per pic sites.

We're looking into this now - and will have an answer soon. In most of these cases - the user hasn't even downloaded the image.

Jon

I spoke with the ShutterStock customer service team regarding this issue - and we're going to be much more strict regarding per-pic refunds.

In some cases users never downloaded the images - and we can see that - so we refunded them. We will not do this any longer.

In some cases - the user downloaded the image, then the submitter removed it sometime later - then the user lost it and wanted it again. We couldn't give it to them since it was removed by the photographer and we gave them a refund.

We try to be understanding to the buyer - but we are going to be less now. We will not refund buyers if it was their fault.

With ANY refund they are notified that if they use the image - they can be liable for damages well exceeding the price of the image. I don't think they are using the image - we were doing a good job of explaining this.

So -

1) We are going to be stricter for now on.

2) We are going to go over each refunded per-pic sale and reinstate your commission if we determined that we were too lenient in the refund and it was the buyers fault. If one of your sales was in this group - you will see money added to your account for this sale. Either way, the buyer isn't using the image.

With subscription sales - we absorb all fraud, refunds, etc. We do not currently pass this onto the photographers. With per-pic sales we cannot do this in all cases. Currently we absord fraud - but not refunds. With refunds we inform the user that they cannot use the image - and if we find out that they are - they can be liable for damages.

If you have any other questions, please contact support - support@shutterstock.com

Regards,

Jon

• 1 month later...
My one and only per picture sales (was downloaded last month) was refunded today :(

OK, and here is the response I got from support about why the pic was refunded:

"The photo in question was purchased with a fraudulent credit card which we had to refund. When this happens, the sales are revoked."

Anyone else had the same problem?

It seems strange to me that someone would use a fraudulent credit card to buy images from a microstock agency.